Source of Flood Waters

by VM44 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlanF
    AlanF

Jeffro wrote:

: Maybe it's just me, but 40 days of rain doesn't seem consistent with snap-freezing mammoths. I've never really been sure why this has been used as 'evidence' of Noah's flood.

I'm sure the Society's writers aren't sure, either. The notion is pure garbage, and falls apart when you really examine it. The Society has written things like "huge downpours accompanied by freezing winds quick-froze the animals", but they never explain any further. They just leave it up to the dummies they're writing for to think, "Oh, that's so deep! I can't expect to understand it." And of course, the people smart enough to think it through either quit the cult, or pretend that the problem -- as with so many other problems -- doesn't exist.

AlanF

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I gave a public talk on the flood once. The Watchtower claims it all came from the canopy though there has been discussion amongst witnesses that the bible could indicate waters burst forth from the water tables below the landmasses. The research I did indicated that the total possible volume of water that can be physically contained in the clouds taking into consideration gravity etc could only cover the globe meters, not the required several kilometers to cover mount Everest. The Society knows this, hence the concept that the earth was far flatter and the mountains rose under the pressure of the flood waters. The huge rearrangement of continents necessary to create the mountains along with the massive volcanoes necessary would have created significant tsunamis that circled the globe, destroying the ark. What this also means is that everything that existed before the flood was destroyed, all evidence of any civilisation would have been totally lost. For the bible flood story to be true it indicates recorded human history can only go back 4000 years. The way to prove that the flood did not happen 4000 years ago as stated in the bible is to look at civilisation itself. There is plenty of evidence of a range of sources that Aboriginals have lived in Australia more then 4000 years. There is also much evidence and time lines of kings that prove Egyptian history went back more then 4000 years. Quite simply, it is scientifically, genetically and archealogically impossible for a global flood 4000 years ago.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

As for the cosmology underlying the biblical flood narratives, it assumes a theory of the universe in which heaven is the expanse between the cosmic Deep and the terrestial/subterranean Deep (cf. Abzu < Greek abussos "abyss" and Tiamat, a male-female pair of deeps in Akkadian mythology), with the two deeps joining at the cosmic mountain, the divine habitation of the creator god. For the concept in Canaanite and Israelite mythological texts, see my post:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/67843/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit