Source of Flood Waters

by VM44 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

LoL, yes I remember this one: "there is still evidence of some weird freaky phenomenon,frozen alive mammoths etc and a whole lotta water" - it was used as "scientific proof" of the flood at my congregation. Scared the crap out of me as a kid. Now, as an adult, that frozen mammoth with food its mouth has been explained scientifically long ago (real science, I mean) - I can find it somewhere I think, if someones interested. I always wondered how that Mammoth would not have had time to spit or swallow (...) when he/she saw the rain coming.

• AlanF
    AlanF

DannyHaszard wrote:

: There is no evidence of a catastrophic global deluge,

Right.

: there is still evidence of some weird freaky phenomenon,frozen alive mammoths etc and a whole lotta water.

Not at all.

The notion of "frozen live mammoths" is nothing more than the product of the fertile imaginations of certain 19th-century armchair geologists who never traveled to the Arctic areas they claimed contained huge numbers of such frozen animals. The fact is that every frozen mammoth found to date has been in various states of decay -- decay that clearly occurred before the animal's remains were frozen.

For example, the famous Berezovka mammoth (found in Siberia in 1899) has been claimed to have been found whole and undamaged by a number of uninformed people, including the Watchtower Society. But a perusal of the 1903 Smithsonian Institution Report where this discovery was reported to the world indicates that most of the animal was badly decayed. Only the head and upper shoulders were frozen in a somewhat intact state. But even those parts were decayed to the point where only the sled dogs would eat it.

In 1979 an extinct, frozen bison was found in Alaska that had parts in better shape than the Berezovka mammoth. It had been killed and largely eaten by lions, and then the remaining head and shoulders had frozen hard, and gradually the frozen carcass had been buried by creeping mud flows. Since the animal was killed and eaten by lions, it obviously wasn't killed in some huge, mythical flood of "a whole lotta water" -- contrary to what moronic writers such as have been cited by the Watchtower Society would have you believe.

Much of today's misconceptions among Fundamentalists were created by the writings of Henry Howorth, a late 19th century armchair geologist who wrote The Mammoth and the Flood, and The Glacial Nightmare and the Flood. For some reason Howorth refused to accept the fact that ice age glaciers had shaped much of the surface of the earth, and he interpreted virtually everything he learned from the writings of field geologists in terms of some sort of great flood that occurred a few thousand years ago. His conclusions are universally rejected today by geologists, and only Fundamentalist believers in a literal Noah's Flood refer to his writings.

For a much more comprehensive look at what the real situation is with respect to frozen animals in the Arctic, see my essay on Noah's Flood: http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/flood02.htm

AlanF

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Danny Haszard: Your comments made me chuckle!

I've got this huge book that covers bible events and locations. What I find very interesting is that when speaking about the flood or about abraham they usually say that there is no evidence to support these events, however there probably was some flooding that was catastrophic to those living at the time & that is why it's recorded in mytholody & the bible. With abraham they say there is no evidence this man lived but rather that there were nomadic tribes that did live as described in the bible & other sources.

I'm finding it quite difficult to express myself eloquently today. Though I do believe in a God, I also feel that some of these events discribed in the old testiment didn't happen, but that wasn't to decieve us, but rather to make us look at the lesson that the parable teaches. The lessons that one takes from the OT are valuble if you choose to use them that way. Another thing is that these stories were handed down from generation to generation and as a result some of the events were distorted.

That's me *bow*

• Pole
    Pole

Danny wrote:

An Almighty God who could do the astronomical big bang ground zero of everything could also do the flood just like the Bible says."

AlanF wrote:

It's the same with Noah's Flood. A flood big enough to destroy the entire world of man and animals would have left massive and unmistakeable geological traces. There are no such traces. Therefore there was no massive, global Flood.

But couldn't an Almighty God also remove all the traces of the global flood, so that all the self-conceited smarties couldn't know him 'cause the kingdom of God belongs to the lowely ones.
    ;-)
    Pole of the "using the Flood apologist's final argument" class

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    But couldn't an Almighty God also remove all the traces of the global flood, so that all the self-conceited smarties couldn't know him 'cause the kingdom of God belongs to the lowely ones.

Yep,possible. It is also possible he created the world yesterday and created us with a memory of older things...

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

It is also possible that monkey's are flying out of my ass.

GBL

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Alan F. i read your essay a compelling piece apostates 'r smart people.

It is a surreal horror to learn that everything i was taught about everything is all a lie.

I'm pissed

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Moses pulled the floodwaters out of his ass.

Fair enough... after all, words came out of Balaam's ass.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Sith wrote (quoting some Watchtower argumentation):

Before the flood, the Earth was much flatter.

I had to laugh when I got to this because before I'd read that far down the thread I was thinking how the Society's reasoning might seem much more valid if the Earth were like DiscWorld (by Terry Pratchett). Maybe DiscWorld is the source of a lot of their doctrines. That would explain a lot. I wonder if they realise it's satirical.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    there is still evidence of some weird freaky phenomenon,frozen alive mammoths etc

Maybe it's just me, but 40 days of rain doesn't seem consistent with snap-freezing mammoths. I've never really been sure why this has been used as 'evidence' of Noah's flood.
    The snap-freezing is much more consistent with an ice age involving rapid down-currents of sub-zero temperatures from the upper atmosphere (kind of like the movie 'The Day After Tomorrow' but without all the Hollywood).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit