Does Genesis 1:26 support Devine Trinity???

by zagor 92 Replies latest watchtower bible

• inquirer
    inquirer

Leolaia,

Maybe Jesus and the angels were with him, but not standing along side each other.

--or --

Maybe the angels were say 50 meters away or something. :D You never know! lol Who knows what they get up to up there! :) Maybe God was speaking with a louder voice than usual because it was a major event or something. Maybe "with" means no less than 50 M. ... Everything is relative...

Isaiah 44:24 This is what Jehovah has said, your Repurchaser and the Former of you from the belly: “I, Jehovah, am doing everything, stretching out the heavens by myself, laying out the earth. Who was with me?

Maybe he is talking to the Israelities here? Seems like it is to me. When you read the whole paragraph and bit before the big paragraph of Isaiah 44:23-28 (at least in the NWT) it's obviously takling about people, because Jacob and Cyrus are mentioned....

• yucca
    yucca

When you read gen chapter 1 its all about Gods creation of the world. When you read John chapter 1 (not the NWT) it says Jesus is the word and the word was God . Verse 3 says all things were made by him;and without him was not any thing made that was made. If you read in Acts chapter 5 there is the account of Ananias and his wife Sapphira in verse 3 Peter said Ananias why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, The third member of the trinity. Matt 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you.all matter of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men:but the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit shall not be forgiven unto men. Does that sound like an active Force?

• M.J.
    M.J.

It's kinda interesting to read what Tertullian wrote about this, somewhere around 200 AD or so:

Against Praxeas

CHAPTER 12 -- OTHER QUOTATIONS FROM HOLY SCRIPTURE ADDUCED IN PROOF OF THE PLURALITY OF PERSONS IN THE GODHEAD.

If the number of the Trinity also offends you, as if it were not connected in the simple Unity, I ask you how it is possible for a Being who is merely and absolutely One and Singular, to speak in plural phrase, saying, "Let us make man in our own image, and after our own likeness;" whereas He ought to have said, "Let me make man in my own image, and after my own likeness," as being a unique and singular Being? In the following passage, however, "Behold the man is become as one of us," He is either deceiving or amusing us in speaking plurally, if He is One only and singular. Or was it to the angels that He spoke, as the Jews interpret the passage, because these also acknowledge not the Son? Or was it because He was at once the Father, the Son, and the Spirit, that He spoke to Himself in plural terms, making Himself plural on that very account? Nay, it was because He had already His Son close at His side, as a second Person, His own Word, and a third Person also, the Spirit in the Word, that He purposely adopted the plural phrase, "Let us make;" and, "in our image;" and, "become as one of us." For with whom did He make man? and to whom did He make him like? (The answer must be), the Son on the one hand, who was one day to put on human nature; and the Spirit on the other, who was to sanctify man. With these did He then speak, in the Unity of the Trinity, as with His ministers and witnesses In the following text also He distinguishes among the Persons: "So God created man in His own image; in the image of God created He him." Why say "image of God?" Why not "His own image" merely, if He was only one who was the Maker, and if there was not also One in whose image He made man? But there was One in whose image God was making man, that is to say, Christ's image, who, being one day about to become Man (more surely and more truly so), had already caused the man to be called His image, who was then going to be formed of clay -- the image and similitude of the true and perfect Man...

• Faith
    Faith

Humans are made in the triune image of God , Body, Mind, Spirit.

Animals have the body and the mind but not the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 15: " it is sown a perishable body it is raised an imperishable body, it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory, it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power, it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

Paul was speaking too all mankind, not only 144,000 JWs. As a disassociated JW, I now understand and embrace the teachings of Jesus and all the Apostles as for me.

Peace Out

Faith

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Faith:
    You may enjoy the link I posted above

• Faith
    Faith

Thank you I will read that post right after I write these scriptures out. Someone said that IF Jesus had sinned there would not have been a triune nature to God. So I thought I would add these for prosperity sake;

JESUS had NO sin;

1 Peter 2:22 ...whom commited no sin, nor was any deceit found in his mouth..... (angels can sin, Jesus was never an angel)

Isaiah 53:9... nor was any deceit found in his mouth.

2 Corinthians 5:21 He made him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf (all angels can sin, all angels know sin, all angels could have sinned, Jesus was not Michael the archangel, Michael could have chosen to sin)

Jesus was perfect, He often said that he did what he saw his F ather do. They were One. It took me awhile to understand until I began to think like a child. Jesus said we must be as children to enter heaven. So to a child it is basic. You cross a aligator and a rabbit, you get an aligabit. The Son of a dog, would be a dog. Jesus is the Son of man, the Son of God. The only. Firstborn of all creation in Greek means "prototokos" = preeminent. God set His Son over all things that ever were. Mary+God= ________ a child knows

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

As a somewhat intermediate stage between the original, polytheistic, meaning and the Christian, trinitarian one, Philo's treatment of this and similar passages is interesting. In his Platonist perspective the plural suggest an inferior, mixed nature:

On the Confusion of Tongues, 168ff:

The words put in God's mouth need careful attention, "Come and let us go down and confound there their tongue" (Gen. xi. 7). For he appears to be speaking to some who are as it were his fellow workers, as at the creation of man (Gen. i. 26, cf. iii. 22). First, it must be said that there is no existing being equal in dignity with God: there is one Ruler and Governor and King, to whom alone it belongs of right to govern and order the universe. The poet's saying, "the rule of many lords is no good thing; let there be one lord, one king," applies better to the world and God than to cities and men. The next point is that God, being One, has innumerable Powers around him, all defenders and saviours of the universe, and with them the Powers of punishment, that is the prevention and correction of sins. By these the ideal world was framed and man also. God entrusts to them tasks which befit him not, for man is prone to err in his free choice between good and evil, and the way toward evil in the rational soul must not be created by God through himself. So God is the cause of all good and of no evil at all; the evil is allotted to his angels or Powers, which work under his supervision.

On Flight and finding, 68ff:
    On this account, I imagine it is, that when Moses was speaking philosophically of the creation of the world, while he described everything else as having been created by God alone, he mentions man alone as having been made by him in conjunction with other assistants; for, says Moses, "God said, Let us make man in our Image."{19}{#ge 1:26.} The expression, "let us make," indicating a plurality of makers. (69) Here, therefore, the Father is conversing with his own powers, to whom he has assigned the task of making the mortal part of our soul, acting in imitation of his own skill while he was fashioning the rational part within us, thinking it right that the dominant part within the soul should be the work of the Ruler of all things, but that the part which is to be kept in subjection should be made by those who are subject to him. (70) And he made us of the powers which were subordinate to him, not only for the reason which has been mentioned, but also because the soul of man alone was destined to receive notions of good and evil, and to choose one of the two, since it could not adopt both. Therefore, he thought it necessary to assign the origin of evil to other workmen than himself, --but to retain the generation of good for himself alone.

XIV. (71) On which account, after Moses had already put in God's mouth this expression, "Let us make man," as if speaking to several persons, as if he were speaking only of one, "God made man." For, in fact, the one God alone is the sole Creator of the real man, who is the purest mind; but a plurality of workmen are the makers of that which is called man, the being compounded of external senses; (72) for which reason the especial real man is spoken of with the article; for the words of Moses are, "The God made the man;" that is to say, he made that reason destitute of species and free from all admixture. But he speaks of man in general without the addition of the article; for the expression, "Let us make man," shows that he means the being compounded of irrational and rational nature.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Of course the LDS are mad because we believe that God is married - otherwise Eve was hardly in God's image. Also we're bonkers because we believe God is a title and that there are many gods and that is the ultimate destiny of God's children - to grow up and be like Him (and if we don't want to be like Him we just have to rebel a bit and we won't have to be..)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Leolaia you are just brilliant - I love your scholarship and comments

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Genesis 1 vs 26 is a tale told by an idiot full of sound an fury signifying nothing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit