How many here would classify themselves as Recovering JW's?

by Big Dog 17 Replies latest watchtower medical

• garybuss
    garybuss

I may have to say I'm a recovered theist, but I don't have anything to recover because I haven't lost anything. Maybe I'd have to say I'm a reformed theist, bit that sounds like I'm a theist of a different form, and that's not fitting either.

I kind of think I'm past the post exit syndrome symptoms and their causes. Guess that makes me a symptom free former theist. I'm definitely not a recovering Witness . . . but I was for a while. Witnessism damages us mentally, emotionally, financially, personally, and psychically. It's good to keep bringing this up so the newly exited can be watching for the symptoms and avoid some setbacks like those I had.

Good thread! Thanks!

• prophecor
    prophecor
    Ditto what fd said.

What Rebel8 said about Funky Derek

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

ditto--ditto what has just been said. I"m a recovering addict. I've recovered being a JW!! Nothing could ever tempt me to go back! I'd sooner cut off my arm.....it really gives me the chills to even think about it!!

shelley

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Me.
    Not so much because I feel I may be moved to rejoin the org but more because my thought process still reverts to old JW ways. Also the way I interact with people sometimes strikes me as Dub-ish.
    In that way I feel I am a Recovering JW.
    But have no fear. I will NEVER go back to that org.

-Aude.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I am hopefully healing and recovering.......thanks to many who are helping me.

is anyone elses messenger messed up tonight??? grrrrrrrrrrrr

purps

• patio34
    patio34

One author's opinion is that it's not good to identify with a negative or unhealthy time of your life continually, thereby zooming yourself back always like a bungee cord to that bad time. E.g., "I'm a recovering addict," etc.

In this vein, I refuse to have any lingering "slime," lol, stick to me from JWs, so I don't allow any part of them to be part of the way I identify myself. That was then, not now.

Pat

• Shania
    Shania

Working on it, but it is hard to do after all that mind conditioning, you tend to always revert back to a JW reasoning, especially if you have family still in that are always trying to pull you back in.............so I guess we are a work in progress..............

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

No. A drug addict is someone who compulsivly takes drugs. A Jehovah's Witness is someone who subscribes to the teaching of the Jehovah's Witness cult. One definition depends on action, the other depends on mindset. Therefor, a person could never be a "recovering JW" in the same sense that many ex-drug addicts have dubbed themselves "recovering addicts", because once you've learned and accepted the "truth about the Truth" there's no way that you can ever give "whole souled service" to the organization again. Therefor, you can never truly be a Jehovah's Witness again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit