How many here would classify themselves as Recovering JW's?

by Big Dog 17 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Medical ad·dic·tion (?-dik'sh?n)
    n. Habitual psychological and physiological dependence on a substance or practice beyond one's voluntary control.

It is very common to hear people say they are recovering alcoholics or drug addicts or I have even heard a columnist in a newspaper once refer to herself as a recovering catholic. How many here would classify themselves as "Recovering JW's?" How many here had a habitual need or dependence on the practice of being a JW?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

No, because unlike an alcoholic or other substance-abuse survivor, I am not in any danger of a relapse. Meetings aren't something I have to force myself to stay away from. I don't wake up on Saturdays itching to knock on a few doors.

I think of myself more as someone who once had the disease of JW-ism. I am now completely cured of this disease although it has left scars. I believe (in my case at least) that having suffered from this disease gives me an immunity to other similar diseases.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Ditto what fd said.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

No way. I was a 'recovering human' while I was going to the hall. I've since relapsed and I'm loving every minute of it.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Dubs have a lot in common with alcoholics and other addicts in that they either abuse, or are abused by, religion. They wind up in the same kind of denial, are affected by the same form of dependence, and forsake common sense in much the same fashion. It takes strength and courage to walk away. The process out is a path of recovery, so -- yes! -- I am a recovering JW. And proud of it.

• Odrade
    Odrade

I am recovering from having been a JW-- in the dictionary sense of recovering, not in the way AA or NA uses it though. Like FD said, there is no temptation to return.

• Netty
    Netty

Although I have no habitual need to return, or dependence, I would still refer to myself as a recovering JW. I am recovering from all the hurt and psychological/emotional damage.

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

FunkyD, Well said.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I recovered long ago and all the info on the net helped a great deal to destroy their belief system and the neagative emotions associated with it. But I still wonder why psychologically it can be so hard to get over the mind conditioning and negative energies.

• homesteader
    homesteader

i would say recovered but not recovering....not one bit of withdrawal either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit