damn, it happened again.

by nowisee 20 Replies latest jw friends

• nowisee
    nowisee

i was working. i travel around in my work. today i was in a mall.

a lovely young woman approached me, looked me in the eye and said she wanted to leave me with something...as she handed me a tract.

i looked at it searching for evidence it was jw. yes, there it was and i handed it back to her.

she had a strange look, somewhat smug, somewhat rejected. i couldn't help myself. i told her i was xjw, that i had been a regular pioneer married to a bethelite. her eyes widened and she said "oh wow". and then she hightailed it away. i never saw her again. she had been with someone but they both disappeared.

i kept thinking i should have kept that to myself and engaged her in conversation. what would you (do you say to them???

(i just realized too, that they are "them" now, and not "us".)

• Swan
    Swan

You did fine.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yep, she now knows something about you yet you know nothing about her.

Try asking a question next time?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Perfect opportunity missed, Nowisee!

Why not let her think you are just a regular guy - then tell her you saw something that startled you while researching material on the United Nations. You noticed that the Jehovah's witness organization had been an NGO for 10 years. Later you had heard that Jw's think that the UN is evil -which is it, and why the hypocricy in your religion? Tell her it can be confirmed right thru the UN website by searching under 'Watchtower'.

Then leave it at that - tell her you would like to know the answer if she has it - if not she needs to find out for herself.

Just a thought -

Jeff [of the let's save all the dubs we can class]

• sf
    sf

I agree with Swan. Be proud.

sKally

• nowisee
    nowisee

hey swan, how ya been? you were one of the first people to talk to me here, and i will never forget the things you said to me with such clarity. good to see you.

hey ozzie. thanks. nice to talk to you.

AK - jeff - thanks. yes, that is how i felt. i have had jws come to my door and have responded differently each time. each time i have thought i should have done better. i never think fast enough. i seem always to be caught off guard. i will try to remember and be prepared with the un bit. thanks.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Nowisee,

You responded naturally. The problem is the JWs do not interact with nature response. As you observed, they flee.

If we are to help damaged people we have to revert to the damaged persons perspective. This is hard to do. Situations confront us and we want to react as a real person (as you did) but "real" doesn't work here.

It is a theraputic challenge. But don't be ashamed of reacting as a normal person. That is . . . NORMAL. If we are to help these people, as I hope all want to, one must THINK AS A JW. Respond like a JW and give them only a glimse of reality by questions and reluctant response to their questions.

A crashing dose of reality drives them desperately back to their fantasy.

Jst2laws

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Depends on my mood.
    I stick with my real story.
    Well 'part' of my real story.
    I've told them that I had some friends who were witnesses (True.)
    Sometimes I've said that I have some distant relatives who are witnesses. (Also true: my mom lives in Detroit; my sister lives in NJ)
    I put that out there and dodge a few questions until I think up something that I really want to say or ask. They get all excited to know that I am probably 'witness-friendly'.

Now, however, I mostly ignore the doorbell and go back to sleep.

-Aude.

• Swan
    Swan
    hey swan, how ya been? you were one of the first people to talk to me here, and i will never forget the things you said to me with such clarity. good to see you.

I've been good, thank you for asking. Life just gets better and better. This board helps me keep it all in perspective.

Tammy

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I've told them that I had some friends who were witnesses (True.)

Sometimes I've said that I have some distant relatives who are witnesses. (Also true: my mom lives in Detroit; my sister lives in NJ)

I put that out there and dodge a few questions until I think up something that I really want to say or ask. They get all excited to know that I am probably 'witness-friendly'.

A_S - good ploy to get some time to think - thanx for that!

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit