damn, it happened again.

by nowisee 20 Replies latest jw friends

• nowisee
    nowisee

just2 -- i can finally tell you how much i love your name.

i remember once when i was out in service with a cargroup of women, one of them came back to the car totally shaken. she had just been at a door (about 2 blocks from kh) where a woman (someone none of us had ever known about - and she was not known in the local congregation) came and stared her down, saying she knew all about jws and had been one. everyone was buzzing about that for a long time, and now, i guess at least 30 years later, i remember how i felt at hearing that experience. we were all perplexed, (how could ANYONE be xjw? they MUST know it is "the truth".) and we were all chilled to the bone.

i hoped that i put just one seed of doubt in that young woman's mind. i know she is thinking about it tonight, as i am.

• steve2
    steve2

You told the truth so in my book that is really good. It's a long time since I've seen the JWs out preaching in the area where I live, but if I did decide to talk to them, I guess I'd play it low-key, as if I were dumb about their history. But I'd take the line that questions the cult mentality - that you need a set group of men to interpret the Bible for you and to tell you how to live your life. I'm uncomfortable with pretending to be someone I'm not -because if or when they find out I'm not who I said I was, it kind of confirms their idea of what an apostate is (i.e, a liar).

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Jeff -
    **A_S - good ploy to get some time to think - thanx for that! **

It's worked real well - several times.
    After getting a little conversation going, sometimes I tell them that I'm inactive (which, technically, is also true since I'm neither DA'd nor DF'd.)

-Aude.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Wow, If I would have been out in service when active and somebody told me that I would ask you questions (I guess I would not have been a good dub, asking apostates questions while out in field service), but I have curiosity and have an open mind to hear what others have to say.

• avishai
    avishai

Once I handed them the UN letter. They tried to give me some horsesh*t about how all religions are required to register with the UN. I sad nooooooo. Why from just 1991-2001, then? They gave a blank stare, and said, what's your point? I said, how long have you been a dub? They said all my life(he was midlle aged) And I said, well, then I think you can figger it out, and he looked at the letter, kinda started shaking, handed me the mags, and left.

• Netty
    Netty

Dont kick yourself, it happens to the best of us. I always prepare myself for what I might say, then it seems like when the real thing is staring you right in the eyes, you go blank. I was getting prepared for something I might say to witnesses that happened to be working my street a couple of weeks ago, but they never did come to my house. I am not even sure I could have followed through, I'm too mushy with people. But still, you at least did make an impression on her...

• avishai
    avishai

Oh, and let me say that was after about 6 times of screwing up. Ignoring the door, shaking, stuttering, etc. So, yeah, it happens. Lots.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy
    A crashing dose of reality drives them desperately back to their fantasy.

This is almost proverbial. It is very true.

SNG

• greendawn
    greendawn

They have indeed been so mind conditioned by the cult that unless they have already began doubting by themselves they are impossiible to approach, but you don't lose anything though by telling something so as to try and open their eyes.

• Panda
    Panda

Hey, pat yourself on the back for resisting the force to choke a total stranger. Because you were so non-confrontational you blew all the evil apostate stories. You done good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit