Not having to celebrate holidays was actually pretty cool

by IronGland 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

There are some very interesting anthropological reasons why humans create these rituals and observances.

First of all, they create a spirit of "sameness" among people. We observe the birthdates of our friends and family members to remind each person that they have a special place in our lives. We celebrate anniversaries to look back and remember young love and see the wonderful results of a marriage of many years' duration.

Holidays such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc. provide an opportunity for renewing relationships with friends and family members we may not see regularly, for reminiscing together, for strengthening bonds of "sameness" among people who feel they belong together as a family.

When groups such as the WTS begin demonizing these observances and openly discouraging them, and even punishing people for participating in them, in effect they are erasing those potentially significant and meaningful bonding experiences. What happens next, very insidiously, is that the WT leadership creates surrogate rituals that revolve around the group, not around family. Among JWs, they include meetings, field service, circuit assemblies, district conventions, international assemblies, Memorial, baptism. The strength of the family bonds thus are a product of adherence to the artificial rituals created by the WTS. Once JWs begin missing meetings or skipping service, it's made very clear that your loyalty to the group is questionable, and by extension, loyalty to family becomes questionable.

For more information, I started a topic on this a few months ago: Traditions, Rituals and Celebrations are Important to Families

• greendawn
    greendawn

You just have to say that you can only celebrate so much and leave the rest out I don't think anyone can celebrate or attend all holidays, birthdays and weddings.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I still say trick or treating as one of Jehovah's Witnesses would be great...

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Well, you could leave your SO.

• Netty
    Netty
    I still say trick or treating as one of Jehovah's Witnesses would be great...

One halloween, my very witness brother stopped by (dont think he even knew it was Halloween). I had all the candy out, and the kids were all dressed up, then I asked him "hey, what are you going as a Jehovah's Witness". The look on his face was priceless, and yes if looks could kill I'd be dead and gone.

• mad max
    mad max

We in South Africa dont do the trick or treating thing, but this year I AM GOING FULL OUT WITH CHRISTMAS, lights, tree, presents the WHOLE WORKS. Wish i had a house i would put all the lights outside.

Birthdays are soooooo exciting as well. Wow all the presents, fantastic, great, and i really dont mind buying presents and all that.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I love all the holidays. All of 'em. I like decorating, special foods, fun little celebrations. I was actually mad this week because I forgot to hang my flag for Flag Day.

Spending lots of time with my in-laws is another story entirely. Most of them I can't stand. I don't feel a need to spend excessive amounts of time with people I don't like, no matter what the reason. My husband and I pretty much feel the same way and limit what we'll celebrate w/his family. We like celebrating w/each other and friends though. I feel there's not enough happiness in life and will use any excuse to celebrate. I've also missed out on SO much because of being a dub, I want to do the opposite now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit