Pope thinks hitting children is "Beautiful"

by cofty 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"There is NEVER an excuse for hitting children. One day our descendants will look back and wonder why anybody ever thought it was acceptable."

It is acceptable because the alternative is not acceptable, i.e. their being brats.

There are always acceptable reasons for hitting another person or animal. It reinforces the message and gets the person to listen and respect. I spank my dogs when they are bad. It is like using an electric fence to teach boundaries. And if someone does not like being hit, the don't allow it, use defense measures. Use offense measures to return the fire. Don't act like the hitter is always bad and the hitted is always a victim. The person is only a victim if they allow it. If it is bad then it should be stopped at that moment by the person declaring it bad. it is like saying that JWs were victims of Nazi persecution. No. The JWs allowed it. They could have fought back.

• cofty
    cofty
    There are always acceptable reasons for hitting another person or animal. It reinforces the message and gets the person to listen and respect.

I hope you never have children.

They are not animals and there are always ways for loving intelligent parents to teach lessons and discipline without resorting to hitting children.

Don't act like the hitter is always bad and the hitted is always a victim...use offense measures to return the fire.

So according to you children should hit back?

it is like saying that JWs were victims of Nazi persecution. No. The JWs allowed it. They could have fought back.

A contender for the most ridiculous, off-topic comment in the history of internet forums.

Does the same go for the millions of Jews who were tortured and gassed?

• flipper
    flipper
    Pretty sick stuff. Somebody needs to bitch -slap the pope . See how he likes it. Peace out, Mr. Flipper
  • sunny23
    sunny23

Im not a parent yet but I have seen kids in the stores sometimes disrespecting their parents with such audacity and explicitness that I damn near ran them over with a shopping cart myself. One kid, around 9yrs old was ripping open toys and throwing them at the parent and when verbally reprimanded with a reasonable and tactfull voice from the mother, the child screamed "F*** YOU B***!!" so loud the whole store could hear and the parent tried to calm the child quietly to no avail for what seemed like 10min. The parent found no use in even getting the child to leave as he sat down and she wasn't about to drag him while sitting or carry him out kicking and screaming so she walked away to another aisle for a bit to let him cool off which didn't really help either.

Now I understand this might be the fault of the parenting in this situation over time allowing the child to take a dominate role over the mother who is too nice to do anything OR maybe the child knows mothers wont do much while in a store filled with cameras and witnesses these days. I know my brother and I took advantage of it on a smaller scale when we were kids, we would act out and fight or run around like idiots and never take the rebuttal of our mom serious as we would at home, testing her limits in public shops seemed fun and exciting I regret to say it. I could see adding a bad diet full of sugar, caffeine, bad friends at school and violent tendencies to a 9yr old these days could easily lead to what I saw in the store.

However if counseling a child, time out, taking away allowance, further counsel and reason including other authority figures and role models stepping in and yet the child does as the one I first described does without let-up, what do you do? How do you guarantee this never happens even if you have 10 children?

• cofty
    cofty

You set limits for children from when they are very young.

You never make up stupid rules.

When you ask them to do something, or not do something, and they won't comply you carry out the reasonable sanction every time. Never ever bluff.

When you give an instruction or rebuke a child, your body language and tone of voice must send the message that you are 100% serious and there will be no compromise.

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

If you make a silly rule or make a big deal out of trivial things because you are having a bad day, admit it and apologise to the child.

Always, always give out lots of genuine, meaningful praise.

Hitting is never an option. When it seems like the only option that's because you failed to be the adult on a thousand previous occasions and the child no longer takes you serious.

Edited to add - There are some children with special needs who may not respond to good parenting. I have no idea what to do about that but hitting them still isn't an option. A child psychologist may be able to help. I'm sure diet, routine, praise, reward and firm discipline will be part of the answer.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

There is a difference between spanking and abuse. I was spanked as a kid but not abused.

The notion that never ever should there be a warrant for spanking is just a ridiculous as saying that an ISIS member should never ever be killed or physically assaulted, they can easily be reasoned with.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Just to be clear, when you hit your child in order to get respect, you really aren't getting respect. They don't respect you. You've probably lost respect in their eyes.

They're obeying because youve demonstrated that you are bigger and stronger. That is all. No lesson learned about the appropriateness of certain behavior.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    Rattigan350 said:

There are always acceptable reasons for hitting another person or animal. It reinforces the message and gets the person to listen and respect.

No there isn't! Anyone that's hits another human or animal is a person out of control. It is a means for the strong to control the weak. The school bully always gets his way by fear and being physically stronger.

My mom abused me from 5 years old to about 14 years. When I got too big and strong for her, she stopped.

She would take all frustrations on me because my dad was a tyrant and controlled her life. So, she needed an outlet for her frustrations. She would hit me with her hands,kick me,bite me,twist my ears,lock me in a closet, make me go without eating,tie me up with a belt and pull my hair. She was a mad woman!

Looking back, there wasn't one thing I did to deserve the abuse. I have 2 kids and never hit them for any reason. I had them sit in their room or took their toys away if the misbehaved. Nothing they did would make me want to hit them or abuse them.

Some of her brothers and sisters ( who were Jehovah's Witnesses) never stepped in to help. Shame on them! If it happened today, they would all be in jail for child abuse.

I tell my wife that one day I would like to go to my elderly mom's and take my frustrations out on her like she did with me when she was much stronger than me. But, I won't! My way of getting back at her is by not visiting her like the rest of my siblings ,calling her as often, not kissing her when I visit or tell her I love her.

Last year when she thought she was dying in a hospital room,she finally said she was sorry about abusing me as a small child. I accepted her apology. Looking back,she just needed to get it off her chest to make peace with Jehovah if she died that day. Maybe she thought that Jehovah would not resurrect her if she didn't apologize!

• suavojr
    suavojr
    END OF MYSTERIES SAID,
    There is a difference between spanking and abuse. I was spanked as a kid but not abused.
    The notion that never ever should there be a warrant for spanking is just a ridiculous as saying that an ISIS member should never ever be killed or physically assaulted, they can easily be reasoned with.

Your comparison is ludacris, you cannot compare an extremist group, with disciplining children.

Definition:

slap with one's open hand or a flat object, especially on the buttocks as a punishment."she was spanked for spilling ink on the carpet"synonyms: smack, slap, hit, scuff.

• cofty
    cofty

Isn't it strange that two of the apologists for hitting children have used analogies involving Hitler and ISIS?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit