Pope thinks hitting children is "Beautiful"

by cofty 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    Once again, nothing wrong with spanking if it's done properly, that's my opinion, and of course you stand by your opinion.
  • cofty
    cofty
    But some people like Shirley still think that spanking is okay if you don't leave marks.

And they are wrong. It is indefensible.

Yesterday somebody defended slapping his wife if she deserved it. Today we are defending hitting children.

FFS its the 21st century!

• gda
    gda

yes but....

hubby loves a good spank when he's a bad little boy 

• suavojr
    suavojr

Do you really think this is proper parenting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dknXqyOhOts

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Would you guys consider a smack to the back of a young child's hand with a parents bare hand abuse?

I have said it before but I will say it again... emotional abuse is FAR worse than physical abuse.   Kids get  hurt all the time.   They are clumsy and they have no fear.     Being physically hurt usually does not scar the child.

It is the yelling and emotional abuse that goes along with the physical abuse the damages the kid.   It is the yelling and screaming, the feeling of not being good enough, the feeling of being rejected by your parent that does the harm.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The above video was absolutely disgusting.

But does that beating really compare to a short sharp smack, with open hand, to the backs of a child's legs/backside? 

• cofty
    cofty
    Would you guys consider a smack to the back of a young child's hand with a parents bare hand abuse?

But does that beating really compare to a short sharp smack, with open hand, to the backs of a child's legs/backside? 

There is obviously a scale of physical abuse from relatively mild to criminal.

What does a child learn from being hit by a parent? Is it really necessary?

It is the lazy option.

I think there is a meme - that originated in the bible - that loving parents hit children. One day it will be taboo in the USA even as it is already in many countries.

When I was young it was common to see children being hit in public. I can't remember the last time I saw that happen. If I did see it I would always challenge the parent.

• cofty
    cofty
    The woman in the video should be in jail.
  • little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

My criteria for when physical punishment might acceptable...

The consequences of the child action must be worse than getting spanked (way better to be spanked than hit by a car or burned by a stove)

It shall not be motivated by parents anger.   Often parents hit her kids because it makes THEM feel better.   That is abuse.   The parent shall be totally over their anger and be in a totally calm loving mood when they conduct the punishment.

Only open bare hands are to be used by the parent. (The parent needs to feel it just as much as the child does)

Only the clothed backside or the back of the child's hands are acceptable.

Spanking should only be considered if  a verbal lesson would not work.   You can not explain the consequences of a child's action to them and teach them a lesson before  they are fully verbal.  Once a child is fully verbal it should be EXTREMELY rare.

• Simon
    Simon

There is nothing worse than seeing an out-of-control parent frantically slapping a screaming child while shouting at them to "shut up!!"

It is not good parenting and it is not effective parenting and it raises children who think violence is acceptable as a means of resolving issues.

Watch the Nanny TV programmes. Very often they involve distraught parents who hit their kids and unruly children. Nanny comes in and talks to the kids and has them sat still and behaving in no time and no violence required.

Any amount of slapping is just a step along the pathway to criminal assault.

The only exceptions are not really "punishment" but where you may slap a child's hand away from a fire or hot pan or grab them roughly if they looked like they were running out into the road.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit