Music that debases

by katiekitten 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Did any talks make me toss out my debasing albums? Hell NOOO! I was fortunate that I had relatively liberal parents, a stubborn streak, a JW boyfriend, himself with unconventional musical tastes, and 'weak brothers' who lent me their Led Zepp, Dire Straits, T-Rex, and Queen albums. Although I was tempted to buy my own Led Zepp copies many times, I never felt courageous enough to do it. About the mid/late 80s I got another brother I knew to tape them for me. I still have them somewhere ...

Usually, it was woefully apparent that the one giving talks about 'debasing music' had little or no clue about these bands other than the half-truths the sensationalist media had put about them. And it would often be a middle-aged or elderly guy who gave these talks who thought civilization had ended when Elvis the Pelvis appeared on the Hit Parade! So anything loud with screaming guitar was unthinkingly dissed.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Well I think there definately IS something in back tracking, because I played the queen album backwards and clearly heard the message 'decide to smoke marijuana', and GUESS WHAT????? 21 years later I DID decide to smoke marijuana.

You've got to admit, thats pretty spooky isnt it!

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    thought civilization had ended when Elvis the Pelvis appeared on the Hit Parade! So anything loud with screaming guitar was unthinkingly dissed.

ROFL Ann! We had a couple of 20-something Bethelites who would give those talks; they were actually really cool guys when they weren't on stage.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I remember our providing overseer somehow going through my record collection as a teenager.

My mom went through all my records and scratched out all the "bad" songs with a needle. Then you couldn't play them. But of course she would mess up, and put a scratch on an approved song, but then it would be ruined.

I was not allowed to get Fleetwood Mac due to their drug problems. Billy Joel was rebelious. "The Pirate Movie" soundtrack had a lot of songs sung by or about pirates. I had to break my Styx album that had supposed backward masking.

• chris1525
    chris1525

I too had to get rid of all my Queen albums. All cos of one line my Dad read hich said "Dance with the Devil, sing with the band".

It did the trick. I left the truth a few years later, replaced the albums I had binned, plus a few hundred even more debased ones.

Guess what? I haven't been "destroyed at Armageddon" yet.

Eat my shorts Big J.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hi Eu

We had a couple of 20-something Bethelites who would give those talks; they were actually really cool guys when they weren't on stage.

Ack! And they owned masses of the 'questionable' albums themselves and never named band names on stage?

Hi freedom96

I was not allowed to get Fleetwood Mac due to their drug problems. ; Billy Joel was rebelious. ; "The Pirate Movie" soundtrack had a lot of songs sung by or about pirates. ; I had to break my Styx album that had supposed backward masking.
    What! Poor you! A brother gave me a Fleetwood Mac album, my mom bought Billy Joel, and Styx were totally harmless, weren't they???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit