Music that debases

by katiekitten 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Hey Katie! Nice to meetcha, 'specially over such fond remembrances...

If I remember correctly, I got rid of my Cheap Trick albums ("...gonna raise hell, gonna raise hell, gonna raise hell...")

But I think my Queen albums were saved due to my friendship with an elder's son (believe it or not). They both played guitar and loved rock and roll. So once I discovered that "Decide to smoke marijuana" was backward masked into Another One Bites the Dust I took my evidence for this atrocity to them and the both nearly laughed me outta the house.

They said it was just a fluke: like seeing pictures in clouds as the product of your imagination you could hear things that weren't really there in music played the wrong way round...and, even if it were true, how much was someone talking backwards really going to influence you?

~Merry

• Sith
    Sith

This really pisses me off when I think back on it. I threw out all my Blue Oyster Cult albums...there's some irony for you.

And because some idiot elder saw the jacket for John Fogerty's "Eye Of The Zombie"...tossed. I should make him buy me the CD

And get this: The very first album I bought with my own money was Neil Diamond's "Hot August Night". An elder's wife insisted that I get rid of it because of the picture on the cover. Neil F*cking Diamond!!!!!

• delilah
    delilah

My mom threw out my AC/DC album, Back in Black, and I went out and bought it again. This happened 3 times, and I own the cd once again ,lol...She also got rid of my Van Halen albums, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Elton John, even a Rush album....crazy. I went out and bought an Iron Maiden tape and she really freaked....hahahahahahahaha....I replaced all my AC/DC collection, and Pink Floyd, and some of my Elton John cd's.....She would go absolutely insane, if she saw my Nine Inch Nails collection, and my husband's punk rock cd's......

Delilah

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hah! I kept all mine albums!

Of course, they were all Wham!, Michael Jackson, Tears for Fears, Hall & Oates, albums.

Nothing I'd want today.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I bought a Def Leppard greatest hits CD when I was a dub, and then got to feeling all guilty about it and threw it away LOL

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

The only one I remember chucking out was a mint condition Jimi Hendrix Experience. Actually much to my bride to be's chagrin, I sold it. You should have seen the guys eyes at the music shop.

I listen(and dance) to the real devil's music now, Psycedelic Trance....

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

LOL

I was pretty lucky as a kid, my parents were pretty liberal with music as they were from the generation that thought Frank Sinatra was bad ass music! They listened to all this gawd awful jazz stuff that to this day gives me the hebiejebies.......when I hear Benny Goodman playing his clarinet I want to slit my wrists. This was the music they would turn up loud and argue over as a child it was very scary to me.

They never came down hard on us kids with our choice of music but then I didn't buy albums when I had extra money it went for necessities like shoes or clothes and food. The only album I remember buying as a teenager I still have "As Tears Go By" by the Rolling Stones. I listened to music free on the AM radio! LOL

Fast forward to raising my kids I let them listen to everything and they had their own money as teens and could buy whatever they wanted. I think at one point all of them were in some record club or another and they even signed up our dog who I still to this day get offers from BMG for him to buy music!!!! How they tracked me down as much as I've moved these last 5 years I'll never know! LOL I ought to send the bill to the dog!

I didn't care for some of the music they listened to, but they did teach me to like some stuff that I otherwise would have never listened to there is something to be said for actually sitting down and listening to Narvina, Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Weezer, Green Day, Judas Priest, Blink, Counting Crows, Cake and gosh so many others I can't think of right now........but when you really listen to it it's pretty good music and I love it all (mostly).

I love all kinds of music (except the stuff my parents fought to) from rock and roll to operas I guess it's just being open and willing to actually listen to it. My son and I used to listen and try to pick out the instruments that were being played, it was fun I still listen with a critical ear trying to figure out the different instruments being played in the back ground.

Oh short answer I never had to throw out any music! Yay me!

Edited to add one of my favorite songs when growing up (yeah it ages me totally, lol) is this song from The Animals; Montery:

The people came and listened
    Some of them came and played
    Others gave flowers away, yes they did
    Down in Monterey
    Down in Monterey

Young Gods smiled upon the crowd
    Their music being born of love
    Children danced night and day
    Religion was being born
    Down in Monterey

The birds and the airplane did fly
    Oh, Ravi Shankars music made me cry
    The Who exploded into fire and light
    Hugh Masakela's music was black as night
    The Grateful Dead blew everybodies mind
    Jimi Hendrix baby,believe me, set the world on fire, yeah
    His Majesty, Prince Jones, smiled as he moved among the crowd
    Ten thousand electric guitars were grooving real loud, yeah

You want to find the truth in life
    Don't pass music by
    and you know I would not lie, no I would not lie,
    No, I would not lie
    Down in Monterey

Three days of understanding of moving with one another
    Even the cops grooved with us
    Do you believe me, yeah?
    Down in Monterey

I think that maybe I'm dreaming
    Monterey
    Down in monterey
    Did you hear what I said?

The words to this song all these years later mean so much more to me now and I've even met Eric Burden in person since. It's strange to me that what I liked as a kid in music is so much more meaningful to me now as an adult.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

I never threw any out, but years later(shortly before I left) I made a mix tape for a Witness friend and labeled it 'Music that debases'. He didn't find it as hilarious as I did. Oh well.

I do remember the speaker naming off many 'debasing' song titles during his talk. "...Sympathy for the Devil, Children of the Grave..." and so on. I doubt anyone ever bothered with actually listening to the lyrics, though.

Revolution in their minds
    The children start to march
    Against the world in which they have to live
    And all the hate that's in their hearts
    They're tired of being pushed around
    And told just what to do
    They'll fight the world until they've won
    And love comes flowing through.

Children of tomorrow live in the tears that fall today
    Will the sunrise of tomorrow bringing peace in any way
    Must the world live in the shadow of atomic fear
    Can they win the fight for peace or will they disappear?

So you children of the world, listen to what I say
    If you want a better place to live in spread the word today
    Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
    Or you children of today are children of the grave.

• desbah
    desbah

this is harsh...all the good tunes that were tossed

i guess i'm lucky that i kept all my albums, reel to reels, cassettes and a few 8 track tapes... LOL...now it's all about cd's, ipods and such.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I didn't throw anything out. But most of what I owned, by Billy Joel, Elton John, The Eagles, Genesis etc, was pretty tame.

The ridiculous over-reaction of the WTS and many jws to pop/rock and many other music genres has never ceased to amaze me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit