Music that debases

by katiekitten 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Which albums did you throw out after that landmark talk at an assembly round about the mid 80's?

I got rid of:

ELO (widely regarded as having back tracking on one song)
    Queen (well freddie was a babba stabber wasnt he)
    Led Zeppelin (that hurt the most)

I asked my dad if I was allowed to keep Duran Duran, because it had a song on called 'New Religion' but I promised dad it was nothing to do with me wanting a new religion.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

One time I threw out a Bon Jovi tape because he was specifically named by an elder on stage. Please...Bon Jovi? LOL

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

I remember being shown several typed pages of groups/albums that didn't meet approval by a sister I was dating at the time. I laughed. A lot of the albums listed I had and roomates had while we were at Bethel years earlier. Especially all the Led Zepplin albums.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I remember breaking my Alice in Chains: Dirt CD in half.

I bought a new one.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Katie:I threw out my whole collection, at the time

Mainly pop and light rock. Hardly ground-breaking stuff. I think the heaviest was "Europe".

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Well, I got the benefit of my older brother's music collection. After he married, anytime I visted him and I'd end up playing records, and when my parents and I went for a meal I'd end up one end of the long living room discovering stuff from Quick Silver Messenger Service to the more obvious Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, and, so help me, Chicago and Bread.

I didn't really start buying records until my mid teens, and then only occasionally until I started work. But I basically bought what I liked... Joni Mitchell, Bryan Adams, John Melancamp, ELO, Marillion, John Hiatt, Police, INXS, Stranglers, Wire, Husker Du, Sting, Wire, Bangles, Suzanne Vega, Traci Chapman, ZZ Top, Dire Straits, Prince... what a mixed bag!

I got into a discussion with my mum about some lyrics she thought were questionable, but she only tried that once...

Nothing really debasing there... oh, and ELO DID backtrack. They did it on a track called 'Secret Messages' Subtle are the ways of Satan, LOL. I wrecked several needles listening to Led Zeppelin III and Purple Rain backwards. I only had the ELO one on tape, and until I got a four track I couldn't figure them out (you can play a stereo cassette tape backwards in a 4-track recorder). All pretty innocuous HAIL SATAN!

... after I got out my music buying went into overdrive.

Does Nine Inch Nails count as music that debases? I do hope so...

happiness in slavery

(slave screams) he thinks he knows what he wants
    (slave screams) thinks he has something to say
    (slave screams) he hears but doesn't want to listen
    (slave screams) he's being beat into submission

don't open your eyes you won't like what you see
    the devils of truth steal the souls of the free
    don't open your eyes take it from me
    i have found you can find happiness in slavery

(slave screams) he spends his life learning conformity
    (slave screams) he claims he has his own identity
    (slave screams) he's going to cause the system to fall
    (slave screams) but he's glad to be chained to that wall

don't open your eyes you won't like what you see
    the blind have been blessed with security
    don't open your eyes take it from me
    i have found you can find happiness in slavery

i don't know what i am i don't know where i've been
    human junk just words and so much my skin
    stick my hands through the cage of this endless routine
    just some flesh caught in this big broken machine

happiness in slavery
    happiness in slavery
    happiness in slavery
    happiness in slavery
    happiness controls you

No, that's not nearly debasing enough! THIS on the other hand... must play this at my wedding... along with my girlfriend (who sings like you won't believe) doing 'Son Of A Preacher Man'...

closer

you let me violate you
    you let me desecrate you
    you let me penetrate you
    you let me complicate you

help me i broke apart my insides
    help me i've got no soul to sell
    help me the only thing that works for me
    help me get away from myself

i want to fuck you like an animal
    i want to feel you from the inside
    i want to fuck you like an animan
    my whole existance is flawed
    you get me closer to god

you can have my isolation
    you can have the hate that it brings
    you can have my absence of faith
    you can have my everything

help me tear down my reason
    help me it's your sex i can smell
    help me you make me perfect
    help me become somebody else

i want to fuck you like an animal
    i want to feel you from the inside
    i want to fuck you like an animan
    my whole existance is flawed
    you get me closer to god

(through every forest above the trees)
    (within my stomach scraped off my knees)
    (i drink the honey inside your hive)
    (you are the reason i stay alive)

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hahha I never trashed any music. Just kept it well hidden.

Texas band
    The Toadies
    Possum Kingdom

Make up your mind
    Decide to walk with me
    Around the lake tonight
    Around the lake tonight
    By my side
    By my side
    I'm not gonna lie
    I'll not be a gentleman
    Behind the boathouse
    I'll show you my dark secret

I'm not gonna lie
    I want you for mine
    My blushing bride
    My lover, be my lover, yeah...

Don't be afraid
    I didn't mean to scare you
    So help me, Jesus

I can promise you
    You'll stay as beautiful
    With dark hair
    And soft skin...forever
    Forever

Make up your mind
    Make up your mind
    And I'll promise you
    I will treat you well
    My sweet angel
    So help me, Jesus

(hey, hey, hey)

Give it up to me
    Give it up to me
    Do you wanna be
    My angel?
    So help me!

Be my angel

Be my angel

Do you wanna die?

I promise you
    I will treat you well
    My sweet angel
    So help me, Jesus

Jesus

Jesus

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Lots of evil album covers were ceremoniously tossed into the garbage truck. The records however were safely hidden in my other album covers.. You know, Humperdink, Mario Lanza, Readers Digest Music to Fall Asleep by...

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I went out later and bought back everything I had chucked out.

Maybe - if we could get a transcript of the talk and play it backwards through a tape player (yes i spent hours trying to do that too) we would hear the words "this talk is brought to you by the letter $ and the number 4, and is sponsored by Sony"

Thanks for the lyrics I found them hilarious, and touching, respectively.

I remember a quite serious elders wives debate about the Tracy Ulman cover of "Move over Darling" and how we were actually allowed to listen to it because, in the film it came from, the woman who sang it was married to the 'darling', but how we shouldnt listen to Frank SInatras "My Way" because of its worldly sentiments. Jeez, how anal can you get.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

yup like little toe my entire collection went

genesis,gabriel,yes,pink floyd,queen,eagles,fleetwood mac,elton ...i had hundreds of vinyl albums and they all went...

in fact we had a congregation bonfire..all..(well most) of the youngsters in the hall brought their records down to the beach and we burnt them all..i remember somebody had a younger brother who was mentally handicapped and all he kept saying the whole evening was i dont understand this why is everyone burning their records..in retrospect the only one there talking any sense..the irony etc

of course the elders tried to stop us..well one elder... just because we told his daughter what we were doing and invited her along.he thought we were trying to pressure her into going along with us which we werent (well not much)..idiot elder..terry senior.. told us it was illegal to have a bonfire on the beach..but i had already checked with the police and they said it wasnt..if he had just tried reasoning with us and telling us that we would regret it then it would have worked much better..but lying to us just made us even more resolved..when will they ever learn

anyway got them all back now..on cd and puter..takes up far less space and no scratches...but lets be honest its not the same as having an afternoon lying on the living room carpet with all your favourite lps strewn around the floor..listening to just one track at a time and then remembering another one that one reminds you of and not putting the record back in the sleeve until u couldnt walk on the carpet wothout treading on a record...halcyon days

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit