If Your Mate Used Drugs, What Would You Do?

by Chloe 24 Replies latest social relationships

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

First, everyone give *HUGS* to Miss Peaches!! I also have firsthand knowledge of the nightmare meth causes. I finally have 11 months clean. It only took 2 years doing meth to screw up my life and family. My daughter is just now starting to talk to me life before. I did 2 rehabs, but left both early. It's taken alot of prayer, NA meetings, a good sponsor, and new friends. They call me on my shit when I need it! (Not that I would ever need it!)

He has to hit bottom before he can even accept there is a problem. Unfortunately, that means loosing everything and everyone in their life. When there is no one to enable him, no where for him to go- he may finally decide maybe there is a problem. I know I reached that point where my life was totally out of comtrol, and there was nothing i could do. I was able to keep it from my family for quite awhile. But then suddenly I just spiraled out of control. Suicide even looked like an answer for me.

It's going to be a long road, no matter what. But if you choose to stay, he will take you down with him. If he does decide to get help, he's going to need support. You can't make him get help, but you can help yourself!!!!

Let us know how it goes!!

shelley

• fairchild
    fairchild

Dear Chloe,

That is a tough situation. Unfortunately, I have had to deal with this when a very close friend got addicted to cocaine. I will never forget that first night. He was in the office on the floor, scared to death. Someone had convinced him to snort a few lines and it made him sicker than hell. It was at a party, and he and I were the only ones left, everyone had gone home. When I found him on the floor, I didn't know what was going on. He was near tears and shaking violently. He begged me to stay with him and I did. I sat with him all night. He kept saying "hide the plate, hide the plate", but I didn't know what he was talking about. After searching a bit, I found a plate with coke and 2 straws. I hid it all right. I dumped the coke in the toilet and flushed it.

After that night, he started doing coke every once in a while, and every time he was very sick. I cried, I swore, I begged, I threatened him, and every time he promised me it would be the last time and he would not do it again. But he did, and he started doing it more and more. Fast forward to 3 years later.. he lost his business and went in debts to sustain his coke habit. he kept denying it to himself, kept telling himself that he was an occasional user. Truth is, it was ruling his life, destroying him and his family. He ended up losing everything. He lied to himself and to everyone else until he finally came to a point where he realized what it had done to him. I knew when he was at that point, I could see the change in him. Unfortunately, he was so addicted by then that he couldn't stop. He started doing it less frequently, but he kept 'slipping' about once every 3 weeks. He would snort and snort, and stay up for days on end without any sleep.

He really wanted to quit but he could not. Every time he 'slipped', he would be extremely depressed over it. He'd come over and literally cry and cry and cry.. Although I have never done cocaine or any other drug for that matter, I have come to hate it with an incredible passion. He has now been clean for 3 months, the longest he has been without it since that first night, but I'm still scared, because it is everywhere and everoyone offers it.. Finding coke around here is as easy as going to the store and buying a loaf of bread.

The only suggestion I have for you is to educate yourself on the subject (meth in your case), as much as you can. You cannot help an addict, that much I know. Until they are ready to help themselves, there is not much you can do. I'm so sorry but that's the way it is. Whatever you do, do NOT enable him. Often, when things were at their worst, my friend would come over and tell me how sorry he was about all this. I'd never accept his apology. I'd say clean up your act and then apologize. As long as you're doing that shit, don't waste your breath apologizing, because you are just going to turn around and do it again. Then he would say that I was his only friend and if he couldn't get support from me then he would not get it from anyone. I'd answer that I'd not be a friend if I consoled, it would not help him.

I am crossing my fingers.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Thank you Shelley. I wonder how many other ex dubs have turned to substances to develop confidence...

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Someone asked what is meth.. It's meth amphetamine, a very concentrated form of speed, with an incredible rush. This stuff is absolutely destroying SE Asia. Truck, taxi, bus drivers are on it to keep awake. It's huge in the party/dance scene. It's extremely cheap to make and readily accessible all over the planet.

I used meth(we call it ice around here) for a couple of years. Loved the stuff. Thought it was the one drug I could handle,

until I started to have paranoid delusions, ground down teeth, insane outbursts of anger and the loss of a very sweet girlfriend. The final realisation was waking up one day in a panic attack. I cut back on my usage, but they didn't stop. Stopped using and the attacks continued for at least another year.

Advice? Leave him right now. He's bullshitting you about being clean. You stay and you will find his gear eventually, hidden somewhere or your friends will tell you they saw him scoring.

When he proves to you he's back on track, take it slow. How do you know when he's clean? Look in his eyes.

I now am a counsellor for teenagers and can honestly answer when they ask me "You know so much, do you use?" No

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Doofdaddy - well done on breaking the cycle and helping kids break it too. It's a hard journey but worth it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit