If Your Mate Used Drugs, What Would You Do?

by Chloe 24 Replies latest social relationships

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Sorry for my ignorance: but what is meth?

• rick1199
    rick1199

My bf introduced my to Cocain.

That sounds so bad doesnt it, but to be honest we only do it very occasionally and dont do much.

If he started taking a lot more I'd confront him about it, but my flat make takes a lot more than he does and doesnt seem to have to many problems.

Drugs can be a problem if abused, but everyone I know who takes them uses them sensibly so I dont see a problem.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I'd be supportive but not an enabler. I would demand that my mate go to a rehabiliation center. I would be supportive through the process. I would be accepting if the drug use ceased after rehab. If is started up again later I would go through the same process. I would never try to handle it myself. If, after several tries, the abuse just wouldn't go away I would seek separation or divorce and full custody of any children.

The key to me is getting professional help and being supportive.

• devinsmom
    devinsmom

If it were another drug like pot or shrooms or something I would say make them share but meth is no good, Ive seen it wreck lives as does any other hard drug. Have you ever thought about doing an intervention?

-april

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Since I was married to someone that used alcohol and drugs..I would now say "Don't let the door hit your behind on the way out!" Enabling bad behavior is not only destructive to you, but to him as well.

Leslie

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Drugs is t too general a term that no answer can be given Pot, hallucinagens, I don't think would cause a problem. Hard drugs like alcohol, tobacco, heroin, and coke, would definitely be a problem, what would I do in this case? I don't think I would leave them unless it got severe an started creating other problem. If they started to steal money and other items to pay for thier habit I might leave and make sure they could not steal any more from me. If I knew of a way to help them I think I would do it, but it all depends on what kind of a relationship we had, if it was never very good I might use it as a reason to break up. Too many variable to say for sure.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hi Chloe

I feel I can respond to you from my own personal experience and from personal observations of a cquaintances .

I used to regurarly take all manner of substances including meth until I met my boyfriend and found that there was more to life than partying. I used to take a lot of meth because I like the confidence it gave me at the time and I felt I was very entertaining. The biggest issue I had was my short term memory loss and the impatient little cow I would become for the rest of the week.

Taking meth will alter your personality. It will make you less tolerant. Your social interactions with people especially when coming down are appalling, rude and unreasonable.

If you know that your partner has a history of taking amphetemines of similar substances you will undoubtedly notice a change in their personality. A common expression when you have just taken things is to be 'loved up'. Meaning your everyones best friend. Everything is just great. And then you have the other extreme I just described when coming down.

Happily I have been clean off any substances for 9 months now and have no desire to return that type of lifestyle.

Good luck with your partner.

Hugs - Miss Peaches

Pinch her stash.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I am married to a recovering meth addict. He has been 8 years clean and sober. He spent about 5 years trying to get clean...three rehabs, numerous relapses, and oceans of tears and pain....it was horrible, horrible, horrible. 8 years of sobriety later, the ripples of the past still affect him and us.

I have never seen a meth addict get clean on their own, with no rehab. I have never seen a meth addict stay sober after only one rehab. Not saying it can't or doesn't happen, just that I have never seen it. I have seen them destroy everyone and everything around them and I have seen them die.

People who love people who use meth need help and support themselves.

If I were married to an active user today, I would seek help for myself ASAP.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I gave my first husband every chance to get help and to stop his drug use. I left him and never saw him again. I was 19. He died from HIV when he was in his thirties.

Drugs have wrecked the lives of many people that I love. My heart has been broken countless times.

If my mate was found with a meth addiction, I would do these things:

I would gather his very loving and supportive family together and we would have an intervention. I would insist he get rehab and ongoing treatment. If this worked then I would stay with him and help him. If not, well I would find a way to leave and to go on with my life. I could not watch him self destruct. I would be a friend to him if I could, but that is all.

I will not allow someone to ruin my life with his/her drug habit. Life is very precious. You cannot go back and relive lost years. At 46, I see time flying past me at warp speed. I know we don't go on forever young. I want quality to my life. Being with a meth addict, who will not be helped, cannot give either of you any kind of quality of life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit