If Your Mate Used Drugs, What Would You Do?

by Chloe 24 Replies latest social relationships

• Chloe
    Chloe

Along the lines of run dont walk's post, I'd like to get your thoughts about your spouse being addicted to drugs, specifically meth.

Thanks.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I had an employee get back on meth after they had quit. It is bad news, to say the least. His life started crumbling around him.

I personally would insist that my mate got help, if they were taking it. Thankfully my wife has no desire whatsoever to try any drug.

• minimus
    minimus

That's awful! He ABSOLUTELY needs professional help.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

If it was something innocent like recreational marijuana, I would not mind.

Meth, however, is a horrible drug, one that leads many to their death. Out of love for my mate, I would try to help, realizing the dangers. Of course I would seek help for them. I do not see a way for someone to coexist with that. I would leave them.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

It's one of many reasons I divorced 2 spouses. They both did drugs secretly behind my back, knowing that I did not approve of that lifestyle. They became more controlling, mean, and abusive over time, so I divorced both of them. I could never figure out why they didn't choose someone that had things like drugs in common with them--but maybe it's because now one is homeless and the other one lives with his Mommy, and they are both in their 40's.

I have 3 beautiful children by these 2 idiots, and they are not allowed to have visitation because of drugs, alcohol, and violence. Of course now that I'm older and wiser, I realize that I have co-dependency issues--but I did not know when I married them that they were drug users.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Oh--to stay on topic. Specifically meth was what my second husband used and caused me a lot of heartache and embarrassment. He lied to my family and our neighbors to get money for drugs, but I found out way later. My own dad did not tell me he went to my dad's house once in a while to ask for money--makes me mad! I also had to hide my purse and my checkbook from him, because he stole from me, and of course we had money problems--filed bankruptcy, got evicted from our house, etc.

• avishai
    avishai

Yeah, ummm, well, meth is bad news. If they were addicted, I'd say get your ass to rehab and outta my house. Never trust a junkie, at least not while they're practicing. Especially 'cuz I have kids. Then we'd see. Maybe.

Anything else would be enabling them and unloving to them. Seriously.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

my 1st husband (he was jw) used successfully behind my naive little 20yr old jw back. after a few yrs his use was in the open after being df'd for adultery. once i came to the realization he would not accept help and LIKED the way he was, and was using my jw conscience to control me, i left. just my experience. each individual situation is a little different. if i were to find myself in that same situation, i would leave sooner. it would have avoided the permanent and not so permanent damage he did to our children. but the jws no longer have control over my decisions.

• Chloe
    Chloe

I didn't know a thing about this stuff but I've gotten quite an education in the last 6 months. He claims he hasn't used since December but his mental attitude isn't getting any better. He went to Narcotics Anonymous a few times but that's it.

This has to be the most vile, dangerous drug there is. He is certainly not the person I married and I doubt if he'll ever be the same.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Depends. I occasionally smoke dope.. if it were just a recreational drug once in a while - big deal. On the other hand Meth is scary stuff as are the other biggies : crack, heroin, and fundie Christian religious sects. I'd probably be hitting the road.

GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit