by tijkmo 46 Replies latest social entertainment

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

what are the chances of getting a ticket

Last Updated: Tuesday, 31 May, 2005, 15:54 GMT 16:54 UK altalt
    alt E-mail this to a friend alt Printable version
    Geldof unveils Live 8 show plans
    altBob Geldof and Midge UrealtWatch the launch
    Bob Geldof has unveiled plans for a repeat of 1985's Live Aid concert, called Live 8, to highlight the ongoing problem of global poverty and debt.

The free event will be held in London's Hyde Park on 2 July with concerts in Philadelphia, Paris, Rome and Berlin.

Madonna and Sir Paul McCartney are among stars playing in London while Stevie Wonder is on the US line-up.

A text message lottery is being held on 6 June to determine who will gain tickets to the UK concert.

Listeners to breakfast shows on BBC and commercial radio stations will be asked to send a text message at 0800 BST containing the answer to a multiple choice question. The winners will get two tickets to the show.

It will also be shown on big screens in seven cities across the UK, and shown live on BBC TV and radio.

altWHO IS TAKING PART? Coldplay Madonna Sir Paul McCartney Coldplay Sir Elton John Robbie Williams Will Smith Stevie Wonder 50 Cent Youssou N'Dour Jamiroquai A-ha Duran Duran altRead the list of artists in full

Will Smith, Bon Jovi, Stevie Wonder and Maroon 5 are among the performers who will play the US city's Cradle of America venue.

Veteran band Duran Duran will play in Rome, while A-ha will perform in Berlin.

Sir Elton John said he was "extremely honoured" to be taking part in the event, which he added will feature "la creme de la creme of musicians".

Geldof said there was a strong possibility that the Spice Girls would reform for the concert.

"I spoke to them this morning. It looks very good. That's all we can say," he told the BBC.

The aim will be to raise awareness of Make Poverty History, a campaign to get the richest nations to cancel debt and increase aid to developing countries, and to promote fair trade.

The G8 summit takes place from 6 to 8 July at Gleneagles in Scotland.

Jamiroquai Jamiroquai will perform at the concert in Paris

Some economists were sceptical the aims of the Make Poverty History campaign would help the people it was targeted at.

Kendra Okonski, of the International Policy Network, said debt relief, aid and trade justice had been a "demonstrable failure" for decades.

"Aid has tended to reward failing governments and undermine democracy," she said.

"In the case of Uganda, they're waging an illegal war with aid money that's given by the United States.

"Debt per se is not a bad thing. Lots of us have mortgages.

"If you say all debts are forgiven it actually punishes countries which are doing a good job paying back their debt."

Geldof said the event was "not for charity but political justice", adding that organisers had "scrambled like crazy" to stage the concerts to highlight the plight of Africa.

"This is to finally, as much as we can, put a stop to that," said the political campaigner and musician.

"There is more than a chance that the boys and girls with guitars finally get to tilt the world on its axis," he added.

Jonathan Ross will present the BBC's coverage in the UK, while Graham Norton will report from Philadelphia.

altaltI work 10 hours a day to feed my family, not Africa alt Chris Salinas, Philadelphia, USA altHave Your Say

The UK government has backed the project, with Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell saying Live 8 will "set the scene" for the G8 summit.

Meanwhile, the Band Aid Trust has recouped more than £2m in VAT from the government, which was made from DVD sales of the 1985 Live Aid concert.

"We want it to be the biggest and best open air concert that the capital has ever seen," she said.

The original Live Aid concerts, on 13 July 1985 in Wembley Stadium and JFK Stadium, Philadelphia, raised £40m for famine relief in Africa.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Maybe I'm just getting cynical or we've had too many of these concerts... I do respect Geldof a great deal, but I'll not be trying to get tickets. Gay Pride are doing their march that day too - can you imagine just how mobbed London is going to be? I shall be keeping well away. I'm not sure how they can maintain security with that volume of people either - I mean they barely check when you go through the gates into Hyde Park.

I'm intrigued as to how its going to raise any cash if its free? Or is it simply to raise awareness?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

crumpet... it is about raising awareness rather than money although im sure more money is raised through tv rights and donations than through ticket sales anyway...look at what they are going to do in your favourite city...not sure why they have arranged this on the same day as the concerts though..if they dont get a ticket i think a lot of people will be watching on tv rather than joining a rally

Live 8 backs up main event in Edinburgh

Tuesday 31 May 2005

Sir Bob Geldof campaigning at Westminster

Edinburgh G8 rally wins extra support from announcement to put on Live Aid anniversary concerts - christened Live 8

Plans to stage Live 8 concerts in five major cities on the same day as the mass G8 rally in Edinburgh will show the "strength of public feeling" on ending global poverty.

CAFOD welcomes the announcement by Sir Bob Geldof to produce an even bigger networked concert than the famous Live Aid event in 1985, and says it will provide extra impetus to the huge protest in Scotland on July 2.

In a statement, CAFOD comments: "CAFOD, together with other members of the MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY coalition, welcomes the initiative taken by Sir Bob Geldof and others to increase the pressure on the G8 by holding Live 8 concerts July 2.

"Together, the rally in Edinburgh and the Live 8 concerts will ensure that the G8 fully comprehends the strength of public feeling on ending global poverty.

"CAFOD, with MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY partners, continues to plan a really exciting and impactful family friendly event in Edinburgh on July 2, and expect thousands of supporters of the growing anti-poverty movement to come together to let the G8 know that we will not let them off the hook."

For political justice

Announcing the schedule for the Live 8 series of concerts, to be held in London, Philadelphia, Paris, Berlin, and Rome, Bob Geldof stressed the importance of the G8 rally by stating the combined events represented a "fantastic and unique" opportunity in the political history of the UK.

He said: "It seemed to me we could all get together again, but not for charity this time, for political justice."

He was joined at the launch by screenwriter Richard Curtis, a spokesman for MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY, who noted the "incredible commitment" already shown to the global campaign.

He said: "If, the week before G8, 50,000 died in London of poverty, they would find the money to solve the problem as they walk from the front door of Gleneagles to the reception.

"It is an astonishing crisis - we have got our own private holocaust going on here. Let us see if eight men in one room can change the world in July."

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Gay Pride are doing their march that day too - can you imagine just how mobbed London is going to be?

Yeah, but it'll be a damn good looking mob...

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I have 2 teenage sons, one of them gets to go the other doesn't. Not nice.

• dh
    dh

i texted from a few different numbers to get tickets, but i would have given them away anyway as i'm not into big events like that. this being said i totally think it's a cause worth paying £1.25 for.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

NewLIVE 8 TICKETS FOR SALE (PAIR) IF INTERESTED CONTACT terry.googe@la ncasterplc.com £10,000,000.00 7 This seller accepts PayPal 23h 00m
    Newdvd case with free live 8 tickets LOOK! £10,000,000.00 2 This seller accepts PayPal 23h 33m
    New2 X LIVE 8 Tickets -£600 Email - paulmcginney@y ahoo.com £10,000,000.00 15 23h 39m

nicolau..you could always buy one for your other son on e bay

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

so is anyone going to be in the house deliberately not watching today

• jimakazi
    jimakazi

Crumpet

They want your name to give to the G8 leaders

• talesin
    talesin

You forgot the one in Canada.

It's just outside Toronto, and .... I will be watching, because my R&R hero is closing the show, ,,

Neil Young !

original music rock god, forget morrison!

t

and every junkie's like a settin' sun ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit