Are Jehovah's Witnesses Truly Honest?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I worked for an elder who was adept at being deceptive in such a way as to be able to claim he told the technical truth even though he knew perfectly well he wasn't really being honest.

*** w02 5/1 p. 16 Jehovah Hates the Course of Treachery ***

However, we have reason for caution. We could miss the lessons that are implicit in Malachi 2:1-9. Are we personally alert, so that no unrighteousness is found on our lips? For example, can our family members really trust what we say? Can our spiritual brothers and sisters in the congregation do the same? It would be easy to develop the habit of couching one’s words in terms that are technically accurate but misleading. Or one might exaggerate or hide details in a business matter. Would Jehovah not see that? And if we followed such practices, would he accept sacrifices of praise from our lips?
  • Chia
    Chia

Yeah right. They say that but on the same token they do "theocratic warfare" which is basically lying. But they call it "not divulging the truth to those not entitled to it." This happened to both me and a friend. The elders told us they wanted to talk to us to encourage us, and then when they got the chance they pounced on us. In my case it was "faithful and discreet slave", in her case it was "morality", but either way, dishonesty. They couldn't have just said, "We heard some stuff, we want to talk to you"? But no!

So of course, not all Dubs are dishonest, but I definitely can't say the group as a whole is known for their honesty.

• Honesty
    Honesty

How can any active door 2 door knockin' literature placing JW be honest when they promote the WTBTS lies about God, Jesus, love they neighbor

• Pole
    Pole
    JWs pride themselves in being the "most honest people on earth".

In totalitarian systems a lot of emphasis is placed on using words and expressions which are supposed to mean something that is basically not true of the system and its members. For instance many former communist Eastern-European countries did not just call themselves "democracies". They described themselves as "people's democracies" (notice the pleonasm - this is like saying "democratic democracies" or "double-democracies"). In fact they absolutely had nothing to do with democracies, but the less they had to do with the idea of democracy, the more they were called so by the propaganda apparatus.

Same goes for "truly honest" people. Or the "most honest people on earth". Or "honest-hearted" persons. Or the "sheeplike". Now why do you think they have so many expressions for honesty?

Pole

• garybuss
    garybuss

Witness people I know are like all other non Witness people I know. They take care of people they like and throw the people they don't like to the lions. They make sure that which they don't like, doesn't work, and that which they do like works flawlessly. They protect their own delusions and expose mine. The more problems that become apparent with their opinions, the more they love the opinions. I'm really no different in many ways.

They are honest about the fact that they may not be open and honest in some situations. I'm not really sure if I'd call that honest. More loyal than honest maybe. But loyalty is a virtue too.

My loyalty is more to my family than my religion. Their loyalty is more to their religion than their family. That's not dishonest, it's just twisted in my view.

I'm loyal to my boss and his company. If you ask me a question that an open and honest answer will hurt him and his company, I'll protect him as far as I can. This is mostly a Witness's attitude towards the Watch Tower Corporation. They want to help their company prosper and they want the company to look good on a public facade level. That's just employee / employer loyalty.

The world can call me dishonest if I won't intentionally hurt my co workers and my company and I really don't care. That's my personal business ethics outlook. I can't critique the Witness people for displaying a level of professional ethics on a level that matches my own just because I don't like them as people and just because I don't appreciate the Watch Tower Corporation(s) as a business.

I guess I defer to them with a contemptuous respect on a professional level. On a personal level, I don't see the Witness people any different than any other bigoted, contemptuous, high control business pyramid, masquerading as a religious group.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The top echelon is certainly not honest and since they don't give the good example we can't expect their followers to be much better.

As a JW I knew honest and dishonest individuals. One of them sold knowingly a defective car to a young sister and she had to pay subtantial money to fix the problem.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Hell no! I posted a thread about this before!

• minimus
    minimus

Actually, I've seen a few threads lately on this subject. It tells me WE are seeing that they are liars.

• delilah
    delilah

There are but a few honest-hearted good people that are JW's.....I found those to be mostly the elderly in my old KH. I know of a person, who is a contractor, former elder too, who has made a career from stealing furnishings from every model home he helped to build....and he still considers himself a staunch JW...one time, he did a Tim Horton's coffee run for his worker's....it was "roll-up-the-rim time", when he took the coffees out to the truck, every cup had their rim rolled to see if there were any winners.....true story!!! Oh, the furnishings he stole, were given as gifts to family members and kept for himself..

Dee

• neverin
    neverin

Considering they don't want to be a part of 'this system' a load of people in my dads cong are falsely claiming state benefits whilst knocking doors all day. A builder in my brothers cong is telling people he cant take on any work at the moment as his sister-in-law has recently passed away and the family is in mourning he is full of bull **** the family didn't even go to her funeral!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit