Why do you believe?

by sonnyboy 31 Replies latest jw friends

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Hello everyone. I've never posted here before, but I've lurked patiently for a few weeks, debating on whether or not to tackle a new message board. I guess I'll make at least one post and see what happens. ;)

Anyway, a little background about myself. I grew up in a JW household for the first 20 years of my life. We went to the hall three days a week (Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday), and occasionally went on Saturday field service. Although I believed with every ounce of my being, I never felt comfortable around other Jehovah's Witnesses. They, for the most part, always seemed vacant and overly-cordial to me. Services were incredibly boring and it seemed as if everyone was putting on a fake face, trying to be too righteous. Maybe this wasn't the case, but that's the way it felt. I never felt anything spirited during my visits to the Kingdom Hall.

As I grew older, I've began to question the validity of my beliefs. I always believed without question. Isn't that what faith's all about: Believing in something for which there is no proof? I was always taught that agnostics and antheists were horrible beings, swayed in some way by Satan to think the way they do. I think all Christians are told to believe this at some point in their lives. The idea of atheism was so taboo that I would never even think on it; it was too frightening to contemplate.

I'm now at a point in my life that belief in the Judeo/Christian God has become completely ridiculous. I feel that I was brainwashed...conditioned from birth...to hold a belief system that has no logical basis. I've spoken to others about this in the past on other message boards, and some agree. Others say that they feel the holy spirit within them, telling them that God does indeed exist. My argument is, what about Hindus? Do they not feel Ganesh within them? Do they not feel the spirit of Karne Mata with such ferver that they drink milk from a temple laden with rat feces? How about Muslims? Do they not feel the spirit of Allah so strongly that they become suicide bombers to enter the gates of heaven?

We're all conditioned to feel what we believe. The power of the human mind is uncharted; we honestly don't know whether what we feel is genuine or the result of brainwashing. The reason I rejected my beliefs has many layers. For one, NO god of love and mercy would allow the world to come to the state in which it's currently in. NO god of love and mercy would have cast an evil deity upon us and ignore our cries for help. Aside from the assumption that Jehovah is real, what proof do we have? I was taught that the "proof" in God's existence is that events predicted in the Bible are coming to pass. Events like what? Children disobeying their parents? Global wars? Famine? Pestilence? Come on, people. These things have ALWAYS existed. These events are just as new as fornication and murder. Back in Biblical times they probably existed even more so than they do today.

I have yet to see one piece of evidence that leads me to believe in the existence of God. I have, however, seen MANY pieces of evidence that lead me to believe that he does not exist. If he DID exist, he would be a sadist. He would be sitting on his throne, watching us suffer, all the while having the power to stop all the BS going on in the world. WHY are we being punished for the sins of Adam and Eve? I was not there. WHY was the sadistic sacrifice of Christ REQUIRED for us to be forgiven for our sins? We did not ask for this. GOD asked for this. We should be GRATEFUL because he put his son through torture for us? If it indeed did happen, I'm sickened by it. I'll leave you with a quote from Devil's Advocate:

Who are you carrying all those bricks for anyway? God? Is that it? God? Well I tell you. Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift and then what does he do? I swear, for his own amusement, his own private cosmic gag reel, he sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch but don't taste. Taste but don't swallow. And while you're jumping on one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughing his sick ******* *** off. He's a tight***. He's a sadist. He's an absentee-landlord! Worship that? Never!

• talesin
    talesin

Welcome to the forum, sonnyboy.

Sounds very familiar - that is how I felt, too. All our paths are different. Mine entailed what felt like a natural progression into agnosticism, and eventually atheism. I find it very freeing to be able to define my own spirituality.

You will find your way, whether that includes a belief in G*d or not; only you will know. But that is your choice and yours alone, now that you are free of the Tower.

talesin

• bem
    bem

Welcome to the forum sonnyboy.

• JW83
    JW83

Hi Sonnyboy & welcome, I have a feeling you & I are going to get along just fine!

When I left, I'd reached the point where I thought if Jehovah existed, he must be a sadist. Even now, just the thought of one child dying of malnutrition - so completely preventable & futile & sad - refutes the existence of God to me. It just doesn't make sense, & if it does make sense, that is not a God I would be interested in serving.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Thanks for the welcomes. This seems like a decent place to exchange ideas.

I hope no one is offended by my post, but that's where the freeing of my mind has led me. It do feel free, free to contemplate and speak what I really feel without the fear of fire and brimstone. In retrospect, I feel that I was intellectually bound and gagged by Christianity for years. Maybe one day I'll return to God-belief, but as of now I've seen no reason to do so.

On another note, I'm confused about this forum. On the main "friends" page, the posts are all mixed up (not arranged from most recent to last). I can't even find my post without clicking on my profile. How do I fix this?

Danka.

Oops, I see that my post is under "beliefs" and not "friends", but they're still not in descending order. I hate being a n00b. :(

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Welcome Sonnyboy. I liked your stuff.

That's why the ancients had many gods, different situations. There was a prankster, Loki ,who put up baubles for humans to grasp at. It was believed that humans occasionally needed to go to their dark side(greed lust agression) to appreciate the light.

That's why I love the ancient beliefs around gods. They weren't real beings but ways of understanding and expressing our deepest urges and desires. More juicy and real than than the cranky old magistrate jehovah

• talesin
    talesin

The main screen shows the active topics. As there is a large membership, the topics can be pushed up rather quickly.

Look near the top of the screen, there is a box titled "Action :: Jump to: " Click on the arrow, and select "Beliefs, Doctrines & Practices", that is where this thread is found.

Also, see the page numbers just on top the Active Topics page? You can scroll backwards through the topics when on the Active Topics screen to find a thread as well.

I hope that is clear.

There are folks here who have all kinds of different opinions. We are a mix of JWs, fading & DF exJWs, and those who have never been, but may have friends & relatives in the JW. When you post a reply, you will see a list of rules for the discussion board below the text box. They pretty much define what is considered offensive.

Once again, welcome, and enjoy!

t

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Thanks for the info talesin; I'll figure things out eventually. I'm used to the more-simple Yahoo message boards. For some reason my profile info isn't being displayed...maybe it takes a while.

DD, I'm into Greek/Roman mythology but don't know much about Norse mythology. Loki sounds like a riot. Wasn't he the god who possessed Jim Carey in The Mask?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Never saw the the movie but yeah he has been incorrectly portrayed as the devil.

My favourites are the gods of India. Mate, you want some fun? Check ém out. They have a god for everything. My all time fave is Shiva/Nataraj the cosmic dancer. Recomended!!!!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hi Sonnyboy.

It's difficult to prove many things. How do you prove you love me? a guy asks a girl (perhpas because he wants her to prove her love by having sex with him???) How do we prove creation, or evolution - I've never seen God & I've never seen anything truly evolve ( I'm talking like from fish to bird - and not adaption)

Perhaps I speak for myself here but I truly believe most people believe in a Higher being, it's natural to look to the heavens (physical or spiritual) & ask questions. Perhaps it's not what we believe that is the crux, but the fact that we believe that there is something out there. As you said a Hindu truly believe in his faith, a moselim his and a christian his - yet how does he act towards his fellow being or conscience? You know when you are not doing right & that is a law unto yourself - so if you follow that - perhaps that is enough for you to be in glory - wherever that may be.

(I'm rambling hey - it kinda sounds like what I'm trying to get across)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit