Why do you believe?

by sonnyboy 31 Replies latest jw friends

• myelaine
    myelaine

This may sound like an attempt at mere rhetoric, but I mean it sincerely.

Since this is an appeal to you , dear reader, to know, speak and live the truth in love, will you examine yourself?

Do you want to be related to truth in this fashion?

To many, unfortunately, it is costly, but after all it is THE PEARL OF GREAT VALUE.

love michelle

• myelaine
    myelaine

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it. (Matthew 13:44-46)

love michelle

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Wow, Terry, I'm amazed by your powers of resurrection! I never thought I'd see this thread again.

Hi, Michelle. Long time no see.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    My most irrational act currently is telling everybody that I'm AGNOSTIC. This is a compromise with rational thinking and allows the evil of doubt to dwell in the same living space with moral certainty that no existing god would allow things to happen as they do and maintain personal goodness as an attribute.

How is this irrational? I don't necessarily buy into labels, but I guess I'd be considered agnostic myself. When you've been told your entire life that certain things exist, can you every honestly convince yourself that they don't?

Our hearts can lie to our minds. I guess it takes lots of good, old-fashioned will power to keep them in check.

• Terry
    Terry
    My most irrational act currently is telling everybody that I'm AGNOSTIC. This is a compromise with rational thinking and allows the evil of doubt to dwell in the same living space with moral certainty that no existing god would allow things to happen as they do and maintain personal goodness as an attribute.

How is this irrational? I don't necessarily buy into labels, but I guess I'd be considered agnostic myself.; When you've been told your entire life that certain things exist, can you every honestly convince yourself that they don't?

The most powerful being in all the universe and we have to seek contortions of the mind to come up with a lame proof of his existence? It is not only irrational; it is intellectual dishonesty.

To compromise reality with unreality is an act of defection of human intelligence; it is cowardice and the worst form of evil. Compromise with reality is destructive. I'm ashamed of my cowardice.

T

• myelaine
    myelaine

To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul. O my God, I trust in You; Let me not be ashamed; let not my enemies triumph over me.

Indeed, let no one who waits on You be ashamed; let those be ashamed who deal treacherously without cause. (Psalm25:1-3)

• myelaine
    myelaine

And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,

These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of My mouth. Because you say, I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing---and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked--- I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with salve, that you may see.

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. To him that overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

love michelle

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Michelle,

If you have something to say, why not be more direct? I sometimes have a hard time following Biblical mumbo jumbo, but I'm dumb like that.

I'm not sure if you're trying to send me a message or freak me out.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Dear sonnyboy,

And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, to God our Savior, who alone is wise, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forever. Amen. (Jude)

love michelle

• myelaine
    myelaine

I sent among you a plague after the manner of Egypt; your young men I killed with a sword, along with your captive horses; I made the stench of your camps come up into your nostrils; yet you have not returned to Me, says the LORD.

I overthrew some of you, as God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, and you were like a firebrand plucked from the burning; yet you have not returned to Me, says the LORD.(Amos4:10-11)

michelle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit