ARE JW SISTERS ALLOWED TO CARRY COFFINS?

by steve2 41 Replies latest jw friends

• scotsman
    scotsman

As LT has given the Western Isles version of events I'll offer those of the Central Belt...

Cremations are by far the most common of arrangements here and most funerals take place in crematoria with services in the Hall being uncommon. It's been rare for me to see anyone other than undertakers carry the coffin into the crematorium at either JW or non JW funerals. Of the burials I have attended it has again been undertakers carrying the coffin but with male relatives lowering the cords into the grave, with no difference between JW and non JW burials. The sexism of funeral behaviour is not a JW thing.

The exception to all these was the funeral of a JW teenager who had cystic fibrosis. The service was in the KH with the closed coffin present and carried by six sisters - despite it being somewhat contrary to cultural norms it caused no fuss.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    And if they didn't they wouldn't bring the body inside the KH, b/c they think it would be worshipping the dead individual.

My father had a JW funeral in 1995 - his coffin was carried (well, wheeled in by the Funeral Directors, NOT the ''Brothers'') into the Kingdom Hall where the service took place.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I've never seen a JW use a coffin, they all cremate.

This may be some localized thing, but I have been to a number of JW funerals that had coffins in the hall, and they certainly aren't all cremated.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

*grins back at people*

On the actual topic of the thread...

This is one area where there is no real specific guidance, so essentially what the alpha-Elders of the area and their CO think is good is good, just as with many things, from mustaches to slits in women's skirts.

I was born in the UK and went to maybe a half-dozen funerals as a JW; all were cremations with a small talk in the cremation chapel, apart from one where there was a talk at the KH with voluntary attendence afterwards at the dead Elder BBQ, I mean cremation. I've never seen a casket in a KH, but as I say above, the feudal nature of doctrinal enforcement would mean this is entirely possible.

• blondie
    blondie

I don't think I said all JWs are cremated; only the dead ones.

But not all dead ones are either; but it is increasingly popular; cheaper you know.

I haven't read everyone's post; but it seems that caskets are only allowed into KHs outside the US. There must be some law not allowing caskets/dead bodies in the KHs around here.

But I haven't seen women carry coffins at any non-JW funerals and I live in a fairly PC area. Maybe I just haven't been to the right funerals.

I wonder what would happen if a sister was picked by the deceased or their family to represent the family this way?

Blondie

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I think it comes down to the generalisation that men are usually stronger physically and emotionally, and are therefore usually selected as pallbearers (whether it's a Witness funeral or not).

I don't know of any official objection to it. I've never seen a female pallbearer at any non-JW funeral I've been to either.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Wímmin are fer birthin' and fixin' the vit'ls

Only when the birthin' is delayed until after the big A. Wimmin can fix the vit'ls now though. In fact, wimmin's main job is to make food--fix food at the assembly, fix food for the CO visit, etc.

• pmouse
    pmouse

"No one else will be allowed to take the stage(relative or not) to say a few words or eulogize the person." (Poztate) Actually, my grandmother's nephew, not a witness, was afforded an opportunity to provide a eulogy which was comforting to us grandchildren and non jw family before the main speaker, a half dead elder who couldn't enunciate half of his words took the podium at the funeral home to deliver the dog and pony show. I think this was at the insistence of two non-jw children who had been through the poppycock with the death of my grandfather and refused to go through it again. Her nephew (my cousin) did well and you could hear the collective gasps when he mentioned how she was now with her lord...No witless bothered to thank him or comment on his efforts, not even the half dead grandmaster, however, I made sure to thank him for at least being one person to recognize the fact that she had a long, fruitful life full of joy and laughter despite JW assimulation techniques. She was not cremated, the casket was open and each of her grandsons, witlesses and not were pallbearers.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I have been a pall bearer at several JW funerals (relatives mostly).... Remember, moving the body from the funeral parlor to the KH or Church or home for that matter, then back to the cemetary adds to costs.

A lot of people of all faiths elect not to bear this cost... and just have services at the funeral home. Face it...it's cheaper and saves some time. As far as women taking part at a JW funeral, remember the talk is free ad space for "new world order" and eulogies are never encouraged. I cant imaging a speaker of any gender being allowed to "celebrate" the life of a passed person at a KH

As far as getting through the door ...there is probably some truth to that....Many Halls skirt the fire codes and have doors in the 36" range.... barely adequate for ambulatory humans to exit in an emergency. Most localities would require a 40" +inch door or a double- type door for a auditorium such as a KH. Modern Caskets are pretty wideand heavy. Old Pine Boxes arent.

I have seen honorary women pall bearers at "wordly" funerals and some male honorary pall bearers ... and even with the equipment that some homes use there is some lifting involved... Six good- sized men exert some effort to move a casket. Some folks just are not strong enough to do it.

~Hill

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I'

ve never seen a JW use a coffin, they all cremate. And if they didn't they wouldn't bring the body inside the KH, b/c they think it would be worshipping the dead individual.

the_classicist & Soledad I disagree: 2,5 years ago my mum died - her coffin was on the podium. It is common use here that with a funeral the coffin is IN the Kingdom Hal (at least is was 2,5 year ago) and they are as much buried and cremated here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit