would you let your child associate with Jehovahs Witnesses?

by Ellie 66 Replies latest jw friends

• patio34
    patio34

Congratulations on: "I told her I would think about it." (that's one of my "work-ons")

I concur with the majority here: no way in hell!

The thing about them is that no matter what they "promise," their allegiance is to the JWs and will put that higher, therefore preaching/teaching the two-year-old.

Plus, it's counterintuitive to let your child---a part/extension of you---go where you've been rejected and shunned. And under their control. Plus, it could be the beginning wedge for a longer association of them. Plus, bring up a lot of questions for her that are useless about why you can't come along.

Pat

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

The expression "Divide and Conquer" suddenly springs to mind and is part of what makes me so uneasy about JW's thinking it's ok to "lovingly" seperate children from non-believing parents even if it is just in social and recreational situations. I don't like it a bit and I certainly don't think anyone should feel guilty for not allowing it. It's rude and teaches bad manners if nothing else (although I think it also teaches dysfunctional family interaction).

~Merry

PS ~ I certainly wish you well however you decide to handle this. It is a difficult situation...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Ellie:

My advice would be: Do not let your children associate with people who do not treat you with respect. They will - by their words or their actions - teach your child that it's OK to treat you badly, that you are an immoral person and that you do not deserve to be respected. You will not be depriving your daughter of anything by keeping her away from these people; you will be saving her the confusion and pain that will inevitably come when she begins to understand the way they treat you. Refusing to let them have access to your daughter certainly does not make you as bad as them. They began by shunning you. They have decided that you are not worthy to exist and so they treat you as if you do not. If they don't respect your right to exist, they will not respect your rules, and will try to "save" your daughter by turning her against you.

• z
    z

No f**** way the will brainwash them

• avishai
    avishai

Do not let your children associate with people who do not treat you with respect. They will - by their words or their actions - teach your child that it's OK to treat you badly

Bingo.

It's like being in an abusive relationship.

• patio34
    patio34
    no matter what they "promise," their allegiance is to the JWs and will put that higher --me

It's called spiritual warfare. Plus, these particular JWs seem to put their own interpretation on the way they practice the religion. So, the way they'll behave is unpredictable.

Ever notice there are two major types of JWs? There's the more reasonable ones who don't seem to use the religion as a weapon, the ones who will speak and be decent to ex-JWs, etc. And the ones who seem to relish applying every smidge possible of negativity (like the ones you're dealing with).

Pat

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Hi Ellie,

I would say, sure what time shall I have her ready? Then, be ready and waiting yourself like you EXPECTED to go along. Your child is too young to realize what is up. Play innocent. (spiritual warfare, you know?) When they come to get her if they have the nerve to refuse you going along....take her out the door to the park, zoo, or whatever and have a GREAT day with your child. Do not throw a fit, just let them know if their "Christian" church teaches them to avoid you, it is NOT what Christ, the original Christian, TAUGHT.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

no she should not be alone with such whack-os.

Best to you,

AuntieJ

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Ellie,

Its important that you do not let your mother and other relatives treat YOU in this way and that you do not allow you little child to be alone with Jehovah's Witnesses. Indoctrination into the cult will start very quickly. You will not be around to protect her from their mind control practices and false teachings. My four year old came home from seeing her grandma and cousins and wanted to know when the world was ending. Then, on another occassion when again she had been with these people she started with the same nonsense questions. Do NOT let her associate with these misguided looneys on her own.

Be straight with your mother about why. Tell her that she has no right to treat you so disrespectfully, and because of her atrocious treatment of you there is no way that you could possibly allow your small child to be on her own with such ill mannered people, who are certainly NOT christians whatever else they may claim to be.

I'm disgusted that your mother would even dare suggest such a thing to you.

Don't take it lying down. Be strong on this.

Good luck and don't be afraid to kick their looney asses.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Auntie Jane - that is the best advice I read so far.

It's amazing how relatives treat you even when you are not DF'd. I spent almost seven years helping my father take care of my mother whose Alzheimer's progressed to the point where conditions in the house were almost unbearable. I was there from 25 to 30 hours a week, plus working more than full-time. Little help from my daughter or brother even though my brother lived next door. After mother's death and my father's estate became known that he had a lot more money than we realized and valuable property, all of a sudden I have been pushed aside, my daughter has taken over, and am being treated as an outsider. It started last summer when my son-in-law brought up the 1975--that wasn't it terrible how many witnesses were actually selling their homes and property. He hit a nerve and for the first time ever I made a slightly negative comment--only that the Kingdom Ministry had encouraged them to do it. He replied that he would have to see it in writing. I said I would have to look it up but would bring him the Kingdom Ministry. He commented, "Well there is a faithful and discreet slave." I only nodded. However, it was conveyed to my father that I had criticized the slave, and now I am an outsider (scummy dross per yesterday's WT lesson). My father has given most of his assets to my daughter. I've tried to talk to her, but she feels no shame. This happened within the last few months. Will give more details sometime. Right now, I'm just trying to keep my mental stability.

• Gill
    Gill

Bonnie_Clyde - They're a bunch of bad asses, sadly. They treat all no JW relatives as scummy dross when the real scummy dross is themselves. Sorry to hear of your story. Let us know how things go for you.

Ellie, I hope you see you are not alone in being treated so badly by the JWs relatives. It's the way they are..they are worse than the people 'of the world' who they condemn to eternal destruction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit