would you let your child associate with Jehovahs Witnesses?

by Ellie 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Ellie
    Ellie

I'm the only one of my family who is not in 'the truth', and my family don't want anything to do with me.

However, today my mum asked me if she can take my 2 year old to visit the rest of the family, I'm not invited and wouldn't be welcome at any of their houses, so she would be taking my daughter alone.

I told her I would think about it.

I really don't think it would be practical because my daughter is not familiar with the family and I don't want her to be upset.

But the main reason |'m thinking of saying no is that I feel offended that I am not good enough for them to speak to.

Am I being selfish if I say no?

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

To me that's like asking if I'd let my child associate with a Moonie or Scientologist. The answer is f**k no.

GBL

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Only under very close supervision by you and with the strict stipulation that they NOT teach your child anything about their religion or how they interpret the bible. If they start fussing about these restrictions, ask them if they would allow their own child to be taken to a Catholic gathering where the child would be taught catholic teachings.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Of course you're not being selfish...you're being a good parent (who hopefully doesn't want her baby to learn it's ok for people to treat her mom with cruel disregard).

~Merry

• blondie
    blondie

Why won't they associate with you? Are you disfellowshipped or have you disassociated yourself from the JWs?

If not, there is no reason why they can't associate with you. We spent much time with non-JW relatives and neighbors.

I would never let my 2-year-old go with them without me. Never, never, never.

They will start to indoctrinate her using the Bible Story book, which is not an innocent child's book but is full of stories designed to teach their bizarre interpretation of the Bible.

Don't let them be around her without you there. Please!

Blondie

• Ellie
    Ellie

Hi Blondie,

No, I am not disassociated or disfellowshipped, I only studied with them but just found that I couldn't aacept their teachings.

I have never been rude to them or done anything to offend them except stop my study.

But in their eyes this makes me bad association and so they have nothing to do with me.

I sort of feel though that by saying they can't see my daughter this makes me as bad as them and I don't want to deprive her of her family.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I have 2 sons and they are not allowed near my husbands' JW family. We used to let them associate but the family members would not respect our wishes to not spout off their beliefs.

Then we had supervised visits here at our house and they still wouldn't stop spouting off the WTS beliefs.

So now it's no contact at all.

Also, if these people have such a negative view of you why would you want them to be around your innocent child?

I believe your child will pick up on their thoughts and feelings and may begin to think something is wrong with Mommy.

Also...are these people saying things about you when you're not around.

You can't trust them. Be careful...remember they embrace pedophiles so you don't know who else will be around your innocent child.

• blondie
    blondie

If they are not associating with you for that reason, then they are not being Christian.

Don't let her go with them without you being there. They will indoctrinate her with their beliefs with the view of saving her. According to the WTS doctrine, your daughter is doomed to die because you are not a JW but if they can teach her to believe enough of their doctrine, then she can choose to serve Jehovah and live.

Ellie, it is so cruel what they are doing and so unnecessary. So many JWS do associate with their non-JW relatives and friends. It seems to me that they are using it as a means to force you to become a JW.

What will your daughter learn from them about how she should treat you?

Blondie

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

The fact that you only studied with these people and they treat you like this is appalling. My mom is a fanatical JW and she wants to spend time with my brothers and I every chance she gets. I never got past unbaptized publisher and my brothers never even studied. Your family is going to the extreme even for a JW. Please don't let them near your daughter. You are not being selfish at all.

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

I sort of feel though that by saying they can't see my daughter this makes me as bad as them and I don't want to deprive her of her family.

You have not said they cannot see your daughter. It is they who are placing ridiculous conditions of you not being present. It is perfectly normal and reasonable for a good mother to insist on being present with her child during a visit with anyone.

You can be absolutely sure that if you say "yes" it will only be the first of many instances where you will be asked to provide your daughter in your absence and eventually it will be for overnight or extended visits.

During those times, your daughter will be indoctrinated which will include instilling fear - the kind that a young child is better off growing up without. Over time the child will be taught to alienate herself from her own non - Jehovah's Witness mother. These things will absolutlely cause long term emotional harm to your child and this is the least you can expect from them. The worst you can expect from unsupervised visits with JWs can be found in testimonials at www.silentlambs.org

Most JWs will also lie or say anything to you to quell your concerns: Don't believe them for one second.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit