Birthday Party - Birthday Cake

by POs Son 14 Replies latest jw friends

• pmouse
    pmouse

For a group so concerned about appearances that they would disfellowship one for merely appearing to behave inappropriately (fornication, apostacy, etc.), it certainly seems hypocriticalto allow one to participate in every aspect of the pagan festivity as long as the timing is right and it meets with their own "bible trained conscience". Oh wait...what was I thinking... hypocritical = witnesses.

• fifi
    fifi

What gets to me is how they seem to have to 'substitute' the 'pagan' festivities with something else as if they're sad to be getting left out. My parents give gifts to their JW grandchildren on anniversaries, which I think is ridiculous. Strangely enough, the other grandkids, although they don't even receive wishes for their birthdays, get nothing.

There were also several families in my congo who had decided it would be a good idea to have a 'family day' where they all got together for a meal and exchanged gifts. Coming back to the JW reasoning, I would argue that "you don't need a special day."

There was also one sister (an elder's wife) who always thought it appropriate to give a card to her daughter to commemorate 'the special day of her birth' LOL.

Why can't they just get busy living?

Fifi

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

The balloons were like 90 little satan's floating in the door....

Thanks pmouse! I just laughed way out loud.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

When I was little I used to wonder why eating "birthday food" was evil - But I still ate it at school. Then as I went into the work world everyone would bring something on their birthday and in the beginning to "stand out/proud of your religion" I wouldn't eat it, but then got to thinking why the hell not it's only food & it can't kill you. So I started eating & taking in as well. Now I have no worries about it - as a matter of fact if you read the book of Job very carefully you will see that Jobs' family would celebrate their day of birth...... oh yeah it's in there. Anyway I have this cousin who works with me - he's still a full blown witty - thinks' I'm off into darkness and refuses cake on the day of the birthday but will eat it the next day - so I asked him why - he couldn't really give me an answer so I told him to go look in Matthew where Jesus declared all food edible because it's not what goes in that makes you evil but what comes' out of a man.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Well My parents never "celebrated" my birthday, but got me a little gift a couple days before or after. They also would not eat birthday cake till the next day. JW's pick and choose what pagan rites they should ignore, to keep up that self righteous image. Wedding bands are pagan yet, they are allowed to be used in the kh ceremonies, Like Evil force said that's ok but Mothers Day is not, go figure.

DL76

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit