Birthday Party - Birthday Cake

by POs Son 14 Replies latest jw friends

• POs Son
    POs Son

Well, this weekend, we had a nice little birthday party for our one-year-old daughter. My folks, both Dubs, were not invited despite living only ten minutes away. I still respect their beliefs, so did not even bother inviting them. But here is the odd part: My mother came over the day before the party and helped to make the party food, and came back the day after the party and had leftovers INCLUDING BIRTHDAY CAKE afterwards!

We had half a sheet cake leftover from the party, so I jokingly offered to send the remainder home with my folks to be served after their Tuesday night Book Study, hosted at their home! I can just see the article in the Awake! now:

"Sister X showed her support for Jehovahs direction by ripping an IV line out of her arm when she awoke in a hospital only to find blood being administered to her. She later died, but is assured a long life in the new sytem of things. In another area, seven faithful Witnesses were seen vomiting cake on the front lawn after the evening Book Study after learning that their "Book Study Goodie" cake was actually BIRTHDAY CAKE. How blessed are the faithful when they turn away from such wicked ways!"

So here is my question: Is eating Birthday Cake on another day OK? Is watching patriotic fireworks OK as long as you quietly lament the impending death of the infidel patriots? Is watching a Christmas movie OK as long as you silently "tsk tsk" at every mention of Christ's birth? I watch so-called faithful Dubs do these things regularly, but wonder how they can paint the "faithful face" at the meetings while coming as close as possible to the banned activities.

• POs Son
    POs Son

Can a forum admin move this topic out of private please?

• luna2
    luna2

I was so strict about this stuff when I was a dub, but I know other families bought their kids gifts and had family over for a special meal on birthdays. They never had a cake with candles or maybe a big children's party with balloons and games, but they still had a "celebration" of sorts. I also knew many who went to 4th of July fireworks and watched Christmas specials avidly.

The only thing I did when we first stopped celebrating everything was a sort of substitute for Christmas...the first day the temp. got to 40 or above, we would have kind of an end of winter party with a special dinner (they'd get to choose) and gifts. We never made a big deal about it or invited others to participate, but somehow an elder discovered that we did this and gave me a little informal counseling (the same elder who's family celebrated birthday parties in all but name...of course, I didn't know that at the time or I might have told him where he could shove his advice).

• kls
    kls

My dub husband has no problem with any of it ,he just makes excuses in his wittle jw mind so he can enjoy the evil pleasures without feeling guility.

• pmouse
    pmouse

On My JW grandmother's 90th birthday, all of her remaining children and grandchildren (Most of whom are JW's) had a "Celebration of Love" for her. Everything was fine - food, dancing, honoring grandmother until one of the non-jw daughter's friend showed up and had 90 balloons delivered each of which wished her a happy birthday! I laughed so hard I almost choked.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

pmouse, Oh no, how could she? After all, this was a celebration of Love! Birthday balloons? Who would think of such a thing?

auntieJ, who is in a sarcastic mood.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

This is what annoys me about the Dubs. As with all traditions and rites and celebrations, most if not all had some pagan ancestry. It's not what they USED to be....it's what ARE THEY today. So wedding bands are ok...yet throwing rice is not. Does anyone who throw rice really think that by doing so, God's will look over the new couple??? Mother's Day...I mean really. Does it really matter to set aside a day to thank our mothers for something, instead of falling back on the Dub mantra..."We should be loving our mothers everyday." No shite Sherlock! Birthday parties wrong but a "Celebration of Life" 3 days after a birthday is ok. It's arguing semantics.

• pmouse
    pmouse

I forgot to tell you that everyone brought her a present too. It WAS a birthday party and the witlesses were just fine with it as long as we didn't "call" it what it was. The balloons were like 90 little satan's floating in the door. I wish I had taken a picture of the facial expressions. ;-) They certainly do walk a fine line between their beliefs and actions, don't they?

• blondie
    blondie

I heard a special needs talk given a few years ago about buying birthday cakes that were on sale, cakes that had been ordered by someone else and not picked up. They also included buying candy on sale after Halloween, Christmas, or Easter. That it was a conscience matter. I'm sure this is how they justified doing this. I can remember a sister I worked with who would take a piece of the birthdray treat and put it away in the refrigerator and eat it the next day. The people at work were astounded at this. Quite a Pharisaical approach!.

The principle they used was this

Everything that is sold in a meat market keep eating, making no inquiry on account of YOUR conscience; 26 for "to Jehovah belong the earth and that which fills it." 27 If anyone of the unbelievers invites YOU and YOU wish to go, proceed to eat everything that is set before YOU, making no inquiry on account of YOUR conscience. 28 But if anyone should say to YOU: "This is something offered in sacrifice," do not eat on account of the one that disclosed it and on account of conscience. 29 "Conscience," I say, not your own, but that of the other person. For why should it be that my freedom is judged by another person’s conscience? 30 If I am partaking with thanks, why am I to be spoken of abusively over that for which I give thanks? 1 CORINTHIANS 10:25-30

w93 1/15 p. 23 Why Guard Against Idolatry? ***

Offering an animal to an idol did not change the flesh, so a Christian could buy some at a market. He also did not have to ask about the source of meat served in a home. But if someone said it had been "offered in sacrifice," he would not eat it, to avoid stumbling anyone.—1 Corinthians 10:25-29.

Blondie

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

We went to several "Parties like that"..Especially on New Years! Everyone wished each other a 'Happy New Year"..but it wasn't wrong..everyone knows they can do no wrong...

My JW Mother in law had Turkey on Thanksgiving day every year!
    Gave her hubby a "Happy Father's day" card every Year..But it was just because he was a good dad..not because of the holiday..I just scratched my head..

Concerning the turkey...her excuse..they were on sale!..(You could have it on another day..might stumble someone!)...It's a day off work for hubby and a good day for everyone to get together! (Weekends are good too!)

I remember one year..when I wasn't yet a witness..my parents had invited hubby and I for Thanksgiving dinner!....They really looked forward to having us over..They were going to eat around 5...

Well hubby's jw mom decide to have a turkey just because and invited us over..I told hubby that would be hard to do..he insisted we go..it was his Mom!..They were going to eat around 1..no problem..two dinners we could handle that.

Well we get over there and the turkey isn't done yet!..I told her we had to be at my parents around 5..

So we are waiting and waiting..3 PM..not done..well around 4 she checks it and her hubby said something is wrong..he goes outside and the tank is empty for gas..

Now they used to check it all the time!..Anyway he switched the tanks and resumed cooking the turkey.at a higher heat!...We ate at 5..so I guess she thought she had us..but we still went to my parents (Got there late)and acted like we were soooo hungry..Mom had heated things up several times

Now in my heart I don't think it was on purpose..but I always wondered about that!..She hated my parents. They weren't JW's...
    She put them down every chance she got. And you know what..my Mom never said an unkind thing about them...Ever!
    (She did want to picket the JW's after I became one tho!)

Snoozy...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit