Went To A Church Today

by rocketman 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rocketman
    rocketman

I've been waking up so early on Sunday mornings that I finally decided to attend a church today. It's Lutheran, and a work associate invited me some time ago. Taking the risk of being uncovered as an apostate (or at least being under suspicion as one) if I'd have been seen entering or leaving the place, off I went anyway for the 8 AM service.

Here's my take on the Pros and Cons of the service:

Pros:

- Good sermon dealing with Jesus' rejection of those who thought they were pleasing him, based on Matthew 7:21-23 and Matthew 25:41-46. The Pastor pointed out that those who think they are in a right relationship with God need to be careful. Meanwhile, he pointed out Jesus' welcoming words in Matthew 11:28-30 and also how he welcomed young children as well as the poor and downtrodden - in contrast to his rejection those who think that they are just fine with God. The gospel of Matthew chapters 7-25 will be the focus in the coming months. The congregation was encouraged to read those chapters.

- Two morning worship services at convenient times (8 and 11:00). 8:00 might seem early, but for those of us who find it hard to stay in bed during these mornings of abundant daylight, it's great. I like the fact that both services are in the morning. When I was a jw elder, I often wondered why we couldn't do something similar, instead of spreading the meetings into the afternoon, a time when hardly anyone really wanted to attend (especially during summer).

- The Pastor gave me a very nice greeting as he stood outside to meet all attendees after the service.

Cons:

- While there was Bible reading from selected verses, the congregation simply followed along from the printed program rather than using the Bibles located on the back of the pews. On the other hand, print is print, and it's the words that are important, not so much the book itself. Still, it's easy to see why many churchgoers don't know their Bible as well as jws do (at least scripture locations anyway).

- A US Flag inside the church. After being a jw for so long, it's hard to get used to seeing a flag around. Memorial Day was also mentioned as a time of solemn rememberance. But then again, I thought as I sat there that, had it not been for the sacrifices of those who served in the military, we'd have none of the freedoms (including worship) that we enjoy today. So I can't really knock the nod to our fighting men and women.

- Passing the plate. Again hard to get used to. But I threw in a buck and it was all good.

Not getting a Pro of Con was the singing - while the music seemed a bit dreary and the attendees not real enthused in their singing along, it was a bit better than the canned tunes at the KH and the often moribund singing that accompanied it.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Nice review of the church service, rocket.

We recently attended an Episcopal service, also at 8 a.m. My thoughts are almost exactly the same as yours. One difference: There was a choir and the music was inspirational, a real treat.

I thought there was more "love" in the air than in the typical KH.

And isn't it nice you are free to explore?

• talesin
    talesin

Hmm, I've never been to a church except for wedding/funeral/confirmation. Some friends recently invited me to attend with them,,, maybe I'll check it out.

Wondering,,, did mrs. rocketman know you went? Can we dare to dream that she is coming along with you, out of the KH?

tal

• rocketman
    rocketman

Yes, it is nice...though I had better watch my back for fear of being discovered!

One thing I didn't point out above: In the sermon, the Pastor pointed out how those verses in Matthew 7 and 25, dealing with rejection by Jesus of those who thought they had a righteous standing with God, was a take on those verses I had never before heard or considered. In my experience as a jw, I had only heard and read application of those verses to the religions of Christendom being rejected while Jehovah's Witnesses would be accepted. The verses were used strictly to show the superiority of the jw religion.

I thought that the application by the Pastor was much more realistic and personal. It reminds me of Paul's words: "So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you do not fall!" (NIV). Maybe it's the jw religion, with it's attitude that is "the truth" and it's condemnation of other faiths, that needs to be careful that it 'does not fall'.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Even if you never go to another church again, at least you've been able to see for yourself, with your own eyes and ears, that it's not as we had been taught.

Kudos to you

• heathen
    heathen

You mentioned the flag but was there any other form of "idolotry" in the building? I've never been inside a luteran church or know much about the religion as a whole . I did find a nice big church in town that had music and such but the minute I found out they support the trinity doctrine I was disinterested , I think I would sooner be a biblical unitarian . I have a feeling it's always going to be like that with me and church , tho never a dub , I still have beliefs that I feel are important and not willing to compromise .

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Heathen have you done research since leaving the Dubs on the trinity? Or is this a holdover belief from your Dubdays that just makes sense to you?

Also....as a Unitarian you could believe all of your "uncompromisable points" yet still enjoy the fellowship of other believers.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

A nice comparison between those two scriptures. On the one hand you got the "baddies" talking about spiritual works such as prophesying and expelling demons, and in chapter 25 Jesus talks about simple, everyday things like being clothed and fed, receiving strangers with hospitality, etc.

It occurs to me that although there is this state which transcends the everyday concerns of life, staying there and ignoring the mundane problems would simply be disconnected. Looked at another way, it's simply a matter of how inclusive love is. ('to the extent that you did not do it to one of these, you did not do it to me') So it's not necessarily about the mundane over the spiritual, but it's just a question of not leaving anything out.

The scripture used the expression workers of lawlessness. If love is the law, then anything that doesn't revolve around love would be lawlessness. It doesn't matter if you do it in the name of Jesus, Jehovah, Buddha or Tao - that is not the point. When I saw the thread on the new KM "Jehovah's day is near" I was like "..sure... God is up there going 'Finally, it's ME time!'" As if..!

• freedom96
    freedom96

My wife and I have been attending a non-denominational church, and have really enjoyed it. Individual classes for kids, depending on their age, and several services. We go to the main one, which is called LIVE. Great band, and the sermons are actually interesting. There are several on site other gatherings, with their own band, and then video feed of the LIVE version. For those who like more rock music, they have a big room called the Edge, with their own Christian band. There is a country room, and a more traditional room with bagels and coffee.

People look like they are enjoying themselves, and we love it there.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Rocketman, thanks for sharing. It warms my heart when I hear of an exJW who is able to take the step into a worldly church and come out undamaged! All kidding aside, I salute you in this step forward.

AuntieJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit