Rented any good movies lately?

by Billygoat 30 Replies latest social entertainment

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Since Neil and I are a little on the tight side financially lately, we've taken to renting movies more often to entertain ourselves. The other night we watched "Riding Giants" a documentary on surfing. If you haven't watched it, it's a must see...even if you don't appreciate the sport you will after watching it. I loved it! Last night Neil watched "Up a Creek without a Paddle". I was working in my office, but I could hear him laughing out loud from the other room. He said it was pretty stupid, but still entertaining.

Have you rented any good ones lately? Any recommendations you could share?

Andi

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

It depends what kind of movies you like.

"Meet the Foockers" was funny as hell. Low-brow bathroom humor. Helps if you liked the first one, which I did very much

"Touching the Void" A documentary and one of the all-time greatest survival stories ever. The man's will to live despite impossible odds is remarkable.

"City of God." You'd like this one, Billy. A boy growing up in the ghetto hell of Brazil's "City of God" discovers he has a gift for photography. Subtitled.

I rate all of these films very highly and they are all at your local video store.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

oooooooo i saw a WONDERFUL movie.. lesser known but definitely worth renting.

" love song for bobby long" has john travolta in it.. very good story, good acting.. wonderful new orleans color and characters.

good enough to buy actually!

• Mulan
    Mulan

Hidalgo, National Treasure (really, really good), Shall We Dance, Ladder 49 ..........it was very good, with John Travolta and Joaquin Phoenix.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I enjoyed Hidalgo and Ladder 49 very much, also. We havent seen Nat'l Treasure yet. It's on the list.

We bought a video at a library sale and finally watched it... "The King of Hearts" from the mid-60's. It is so well done. I think it might have been adapted from a stage play. It will really turn a person off to war. It's really funny and very sad at times. A must see.

One of my all-time favorite books and movie is "To Kill A Mocking Bird". I just love the seen where the trial is over and everyone clears out of the courthouse except Addicus and the upper gallery filled with the negros. Addicus looks around, saddened, and walks out. As he walks out, the negros all stand in respect. His two children who are in the gallery are told to stand because "there goes a great man".

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

PS - our local video rental store, privately owned, has "deals" twice a year - 50 movies for $100. One does us a year.

• Princess
    Princess

Megadude said:

"Meet the Foockers" was funny as hell. Low-brow bathroom humor. Helps if you liked the first one, which I did very much

Totally agree. Funny as hell.

"Touching the Void" A documentary and one of the all-time greatest survival stories ever. The man's will to live despite impossible odds is remarkable.

It's on my Netflix list but I keep bumping it down due to the next recommendation:

"City of God." You'd like this one, Billy. A boy growing up in the ghetto hell of Brazil's "City of God" discovers he has a gift for photography. Subtitled.

I rented this one based on a thread months ago where Mega recommended it. I HATED it. Yuk. Steve liked it but didn't love it. I found it depressing and miserable. I guess being a mother might make it more difficult to watch due to excessive violence at an early age. These children had horrible lives. Awful awful move. IMHO of course.

Last week Steve was gone so I watched Spanglish. Great movie. Funny, sad, tragic and uplifting. This is not a typical Adam Sandler comedy. Chloris Leachman steals every scene she's in and Tea Leoni plays an amazingly tragic disfunctional mom. Steve got home in the middle and watched most of it with me.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

A really good foreign film is

Osama

The story of a pre-teen Afghani girl who has to disguise as a boy to earn money for her all-woman family during the worst of the Taliban. Subtitled.

• bem
    bem

National Treasure is very good... Meet the fockers, OMG funny, Dustin Hoffman is great in it... Then we like scarey movies my Son bought Van Helsing, not a new movie but we really liked it... Darkness, with Anna Paquin<sp?)... Lost Junction, Is a murder with a twist. great movie to follow to the end.

Thanks Candidly for the revue on Love Song for Bobby Long I'll get it next I debated on that one.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Andi,

I recomend that you use the 14.99 mmebership at Blockbusters... unlimited rentals and no late fees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit