Does Devil Talk Irritate You?

by love2Bworldly 30 Replies latest jw friends

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I enjoy reading the Bible on my own since I left the JW's. I get extremely irritated when other people talk to me about how Satan is causing certain things in my life--example is if I'm not getting along with a coworker or anything like that. (my husband also blames Satan)

Why does it irritate me so much? Is it because it reminds me of how the JW's used to blame everything on the devil? A lot of Christians do that too, and I'm sorry but I don't believe that every little thing that goes wrong is due to Satan. Some things are just circumstantial.

Do you get irritated at this?

• Quentin
    Quentin

Yes...I believe that about 3/4 of what happens to us in life comes about because of us...ourselves...the rest is just life...nothing more. Also get weary of the "let me tell you about my Jesus"...as if they carry him around in their pocket... ready to pop him out like billfold pictures.

• luna2
    luna2

I have a real hard time with it. I didn't do much of it myself, even when I was active in the borg. I'm very low-key and dislike sounding extreme in any way. I could entertain the idea of debbils and satan, but I didn't go flinging them around willy nilly in conversation...nor did I enjoy hearing too much of that kind of stuff from other people.

Now, after having discovered that I was completely fooled by the WTS and feeling like a gullible little simp, I'm questioning every belief I once held, even in the Bible, and have less tolerance for demon talk than ever. I try to remember not to be too bitchy about it, though. LOL

Not at all; in fact, it's a great song! "The devil went down to Georgia, he was looking for a soul to steal . . ."

• JAVA
    JAVA

Devil talk irriates me, but then again--willful ignorance always irritates me. :)

So, why wasn't I irritated with myself when I was a JW? So many questions, so little time . . .

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Ever since I found out that Satan is Saddam's gay lover, well, the fear isn't quite what it used to be.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Well if there is a debil let's just say he's not as busy as you might think...

Most of peoples problems comes from their own bad decision making. And when they continue to make bad choices this "bad choice" phenomenom become the default decision making process.

I am firmly convinced that some people need drama in their lives to feel needed, alive, and connected. They create their own whirlwind of shite and drama, step back from it and lament "Look at all the bad things happening to me." "Woe is me." "Satan is tempting me."

Bull shite I say.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

the character of satan is practically my favorite character in the saga, now. but he gets a bad rap? why? he was the first skeptic and free thinker in the saga.

but, ya, devil talk annoy's me when it is implied as factual. i remember how psychologically comforting it was to have him to blame for things i really should have been blaming myself for. when i hear devil talk now, i just want to laugh out loud on the spot.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

"The Devil made me do it" Honest!....

Snoozy........

• Finder
    Finder

JW & Society emphasize too much about Satan the Devil. In fact, they make Satan a great one to fear. When I left JW, the first thing I found was the freedom from the false teaching and its Satanic influence. My church and the pastor rarely talk about Satan. The most of their sermon talks about God and Jesus, and how to be like Jesus, not to make you afraid of Satan and its influences.

JW use Satan to scare its members, and Society makes sure that all JW are under their control.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit