Not an elder anymore?

by ivy 29 Replies latest social family

• geevee
    geevee

Applicable music blondie...nice touch.

An elder can pack it in...I did it too. I said that I needed a break. I was pretty full on and intense about the whole thing and had had a gutfull of the BS that is the domain of an elder. Most cant even think how the WTBTS wants them to think, let alone think for themselves, you just get sick of dumb decisions and then trying to cushion it for people who dont really care anyway or would follow like a lemming straight over a cliff......I could go on.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    then trying to cushion it for people who dont really care anyway or would follow like a lemming straight over a cliff

geevee....im feelin ya....it just occurred to me recently that that is what i would do...fight for people who really didnt care you were fighting for them

• TheListener
    TheListener

If you're stepping aside (remember it's aside not down) from being an elder then you need the permission of the body (this applies to MS as well). This technicality only matters if you care what the brothers think of you. If you're a fader you usually have to do the reduced privileges while you think it over time period before you can actually stop.

If they don't agree to let you step aside they can withhold announcing it from the congregation and continue to invite you to the elder meetings and such. It puts the fader in a tough spot. They want to appear stressed, sick, tired, etc but not unspiritual. So for the fader this stepping aside takes more time and effort. Just saying "take this job and shove it" will work for those who are leaving cold turkey.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

My stepdad was asked to step down because I was spending more time in elders meetings than I did anywhere else. I was "bad association" and no one could do anything with me. At 16 I told my parents I didn't want to be a JW. Of course that wasn't too long after I was baptized. Which I only did cause it was expected of me. He was promoted after I moved to my real dad's and was DF'd. Keep in mind during this time he was sexually molesting me!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I stepped down - the body tried to talk me out of it - but I would not be persuaded

• desbah
    desbah
    You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave

Blondie,

cool site! and you got a great line.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Ivy,

I deleted myself as an elder in the mid 90's. I was pioneering at that time and had just had assignments of releasing a new brochure at the district convention, being the substitute instructor for the Pioneer Service School, congregation Service overseer and was being prepped for substitute CO while I was awaiting word on an application to the Ministerial Training School. I was concerned when the announcer at the District convention announced each speaker as a "faithful brother for (insert years since baptism)". I had been inactive for over 11 years and and wanted to make sure they didn't make that mistake with me. I went to inform them so they wouldn't do that. The Convetion Chairman said, "Dont worry about it, no one knows. That brother ahead of you is a Circuit Overseer who has been disfellowshipped in the past. Its not a problem. I asked that he NOT announce me as faithful for "so many years", yet they announced me as faithful for over twenty years. (Wrong) This really struck me as dishonest. I could see if I had a little three month indescretion or something, but they were saying my 11 years of time off for bad behavior was still counted as faithful service. Kinda frosted me a little. That and all the corporate talk and condescending statements about those I felt were the beloved brothers turned me off more than I can say.

When I deleted myself the brothers were SHOCKED. The PO was never a fan of mine, I always lobbied on the side of mercy from the Body of Elders when dealing with brothers with low on hours while struggling to meet thier responsibilities at home or in the congregation. This hypocrite was always hard on brothers to do what he didn't do himself. His son was appointed a minsterial servant when he had not reported field service for six months. They just filled in the blanks and "Blink" he was in. Of course he had "time", he just "forgot" to submit it. The same PO wanted to delete Ministerial servants who missed reporting two months of service or reported less than 10 hours a a month. Dont get me started. Was another life, another time. The jackass is divorced now but Jehovah has kept this dear brother an elder. (He moved away... too late.)

If your father has deleted himself as an elder its always a good thing. It means he's stepped off the treadmill and is thinking. He's thinking about himself, his family and his relationship to Jehovah and others. Dont be anxious. He will be ok. It smacks of freedom either way. I hope the door doesn't hit him in the butt on the way out!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

wow wasanelderonce...we could be twins

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Welcome to the board Wasanelder Once,

Sounds like you were too honest for that lot. While you say you resigned as an elder in the 90's you did not clarify if you are still a JW continuing your almost faithful service.

Anyway, you will find more like yourself here who gave up many "privileges of service to Jehovah" to do the right thing instead.

Jst2laws

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I am on the way out physically. My eyes are too wide open to sit and listen to the sound of the watchtower studys and other meetings. WHen I was a kid I felt absolutely spooked by the rosary at my G'pa's funeral. Now the meetings sound like that. People are moving thier lips but saying nothing sensible. I dont comment any more. When I do I get mobbed, "Oh we miss your comments". That's because they were always my comments and not by rote.

Short answer, I don't know if there is such a thing as a real "Jehovah's Witness" so I don't know if I could be one either. Jehovah listens to me when I talk to him, he listens to the little kid in India heating himself with cowshit on the streets of Calcutta where he lives. Can't believe He'll kill him for not taking the magazines.

Seeking peace with those in the Fam still in captivity in the Spiritual Paradise. Gotta Fade. Can't replace family you've loved for 48 years just to make a point that no one gives a rats butt about anyway.

Love the air out here.

W. Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit