Not an elder anymore?

by ivy 29 Replies latest social family

• ivy
    ivy

I just found out from my son that my father is not an elder anymore. He has no idea why. Of course I called home, but no one is there, probably at a meeting. I'm sort of stunned. What would happen to cause this? Is it a big deal?
    of course there is the other question, why do I care? I doubt anyone can help me with that one, but can anyone give me some possible reasons for this step down the ladder?

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

The only elder I've known to step down basically got tired of it, although there may be other circumstances involved it just all depends. He was basically still faithful though. There may be general patterns that some who have been elders can point out but that may not necessarily apply to your dad.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

My father has stepped down now for a 2nd time. Got tired of aall the elder b.s.

• ivy
    ivy

So it is likely that he chose this? Could it have been done to him, as a sort of taking away privileges? He's not really the sort to give up power, but maybe he is having doubts. It's been so long, and buried, does that get announced to the congo?
    I really want to know what is going on, and I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
    Thanks for the help.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

It does get announced.

• skyman
    skyman

If it is Judical it would be anounced as such. More than likely it his decision.

• blondie
    blondie

If an elder steps down, it is always announced. How else would the congregation know who the elders are, eh? Also, if it is a DFing reason, later then will be an DF/reproving announcement though I have seen it done on the same night when it is a DFing.

An elder can't just quit. Even if he wants to step down, the BOE has to approve it and I have seen when they will not approve it. I wonder what happens then.

In one circuit last year, 6 elders with a combined experience of almost 240 years were removed. I hazard a guess that it was because they did not approve of his heavy-handed tactics. All of these men were the kind who were kind and balanced, though some of them seemed to be company men. Maybe the shit level got past their nostrils.

Blondie

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

do you mean your son doesnt know why or your dad doesnt

• lamb_neo
    lamb_neo

Another way for an elder to lose his privillege is by forming what is called a "Special Service Comitee" against him. The CO can form such a comitee upon the request of the others elders in the congregation. Do you know anything about your father having conflicts with other elders?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    An elder can't just quit. Even if he wants to step down, the BOE has to approve it and I have seen when they will not approve it. I wonder what happens then

sorry blondie they can

i know cos i did

body didnt want me to and tried to get me to re-think...but i just quit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit