Where else will you find such true friends?

by sass_my_frass 18 Replies latest jw friends

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

It always bugged me when I would hear or read that the only True Friends you would find would be those you made in the organisation - nobody else will really stand by you when you need them. It used to puzzle me when (prior to being disfellowshipped...) my True Friends and my Close Loving Family didn't make contact with me for years, right when I was very deeply depressed and I needed them. Certainly I could have put myself in their lives more pro-actively, but, it's a very effective control tool to tell people not to bother befriending a non-witness; even if they don't damage you spiritually, they will never be as loyal to you as your brothers and sisters.

Just this weekend I worked out why they think that; that you can make the best connections with people when you are sharing some kind of adversity. If you're out on the preach with somebody, and it's not going well at all, at least you're sharing the bad experience and you're there for each other, just like a True Friend would be! Everybody who believes anything at all is going to feel better about it if they have affirmation.

I just wanted to write about it because I spent the weekend on a camp for disabled kids, caring for the most horrid little spawn of satan in town. The best moments were when I'd get a hand from one of the other carers, or we had a minute to hang with each other and assure each other that we'll get through it, we're doing okay. I got exactly the same feeling of cameraderie as I used to get out on the preach; we're all in this together, let's help each other through. We're all there for the same reasons, and we need each other's help.

It's encouraging, that even though I'm starting life from scratch, it's not so hard as I thought. Thanks to everybody here for making me feel normal!

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

You go out to help on a camp for disabled kids and think of them as the most horrid spawn of satan.........oh my. I just hope you are joking.

Scoob

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Of course she is joking ! Get a grip.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

No, it isn't just disabled kids. It's all kids.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

:D yeah, it's ALL kids!

I was mostly joking about that kid; I was just unlucky though. The kids on this camp were mostly ADD so they were all there but difficult/impossible to control; so the job description changed from 'enlighten and entertain' to 'maintain critical life systems for 48 hours so that parents can have a break'. This kid was Mr Tantrum, Baby Bite, Little Screamer... it reached the point where I'd have happily bound him to his bunk and fed him with a drip if it was legal. He was a bit difficult. It's the risk of having one of him that is the reason I never want to breed...

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Hugs for Sass . . .

• gumby
    gumby

I'll never forget the dipshit, asswipe, pudhead CO ( can't remember which one) who said during his Sunday talk....that "there is no real love outside of the Organisation" and..." that those that haven't come to know jehovah didn't know what REAL LOVE was".

I remember thinking how stupid his comment was. I remember thinking that he must think when parents lose a child and grieve.......that their grieving isn't real love.....and that people who aren't Jehovahs Witnesses have no real love for their families. To this day.......I wish I would have walked up to him and told him he was a stupid ass dipshit who didn't know his arse from a hole-in-the ground and to find himself another damn job! Idiot!

Gumby

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

Kudos to you! I think I'd rather be in Iraq than in a camp full of young ADD kids! Yikes!

As for true friendship and compassion, Yeshua's followers thought he was pretty "strange" in that department, "consorting" with prostitutes, lepers. etc...

W.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

None of my Dub friends could I ever tell how I was TRULY feeling. Friends are there thru thick and thin...this is the definition of a true friend as opposed to a fair weather witness friend.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I think you'd be hard pressed to find such unfriendly people outside the organization.

The people I know in the real world are a 1000 times more loving than even my closest friends were in the org.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit