Can the world condition be worse than this?

by abiather 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    True, but the trend has been a decrease in violence for several centuries. 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I would not say centuries. There were three major wars - Taping Rebellion (1850-1860) with 20,000,000 casualties, World War 1 (14,000,000)  and World War 2 (50,000,000) - within a span of 95 years.
  • cofty
    cofty

Pinker's book is an eye-opener.

Violence has been declining for centuries.

It is true that there is no way to know what the future will bring but the factors that have led to a more peaceful world are no easily reversed.

Please read Pinker's book. 840 pages of solid evidence.

• Simon
    Simon

As the world get's better overall, things tend to appear worse. How so?

When 10,000,000 people die in a war it just can't be pictured or imagined, it doesn't seem real.

When 10 people die in a terrorist hostage situation we find out about the individual victims and it makes it much more real.

So things appear worse while they are getting better.

Yes, there we always be setbacks - wars and killing. But overall we haven't seen the industrialized slaughter on international scales that we saw previously and hopefully we won't again.

Military operations are increasingly between smaller and smaller groups. One reason is that the interconnected nature of the world financial system means that everyone would lose.

The biggest threat to individuals is now driven by religious ideologies that need to be eliminated.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I would not say centuries. There were three major wars - Taping Rebellion (1850-1860) with 20,000,000 casualties, World War 1 (14,000,000)  and World War 2 (50,000,000) - within a span of 95 years.

Why is this so unusual being the human population has grown enormously from one century to the next in the past 1000 years ?.  

What also made the two great wars of the 20th century so devastating is the development of industrial mechanisms created for warfare, which reflectively was a causative influence to toward creating wars in the first place.

In any case the bible doesn't say (prophecy) there will be great wars involving all humanity, trying to attach relevance to what is written in the bible.

• abiather
    abiather

Future events are guaranteed on the basis of the established pattern of the past. There are scholars who compare US action in Vietnam and Iraq in its essence (not in details), and they say people tend to repeat the past mistakes!

1) Everyone knows a friendly neighbour is better security than costly war-preparedness, yet no one wants to try this, but continue with the past wasteful method.

2) It's everyone's experience that alcohol has no benefits except harm to the self and others, yet use of alcohol thrives!

• cofty
    cofty
    alcohol has no benefits except harm to the self and others

No wonder you are so grumpy

• Oubliette
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

abiather: It's everyone's experience that alcohol has no benefits except harm to the self and others, yet use of alcohol thrives!

Well that certainly has not been my experience so clearly you're wrong!

• abiather
    abiather

galaxie,

It seems you did not fully read what I wrote about the astrologer. 

I went there to TEST him (not to seek solution to my problems) about his claim of reading the minds of others. And I found him true.

And I do not believe in astrology.

I was only giving my experience that there are a few people who have succeeded in silencing their minds and thus being able to read others' mind, and some access even God's mind.

Just because you cannot perform like some famous gymnastics now, it does'nt mean that you cannot. With practice, you also can. Similarly, we too can, by practice, can learn to silence our minds and read others' minds!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit