Kingdom Halls for sale!

by morning glory 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• observador
    observador

Hello "morning glory" and welcome to the board!

This thing of KHs for sale is fascinating to me. I think the reason is because I grew up, during my faithfull years, hearing all this talk about growth, growth, growth, increase, increase, increase... and now what we see is KHs being sold.

It doesn't make sense to me. If membership is increasing, you don't sell; you build. Unless, of course, you sell 1 to build 2 or something. But even so, selling a hall wouldn't sound good to me; I always thought that a Hall is something that you get attached to it, especially if you were involded in its construction.

For those interested on this, here are two threads about this matter. The first one is a thread with pictures of a Hall with a "For Sale" sign; the other is a follow up about the removal of the sign, which I suspect is a consequence of the picture being shown in this board:

Pictures of a Kingdom Hall for sale

"For Sale" sign removed

Observador.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi morning glory ,

Welcome! I just saw your thread. Glad you are here and posting.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Land prices are maxed out in the UK - it's a good time to sell. Property prices are predicted to fall 20% over the next 2 years.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Welcome morning glory! How did you find out about the UN thing?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Welcome Morning Glory !!!

They sold 2 KH's here and the 2 congregations borrowed $ from the WTS and built a new one that was more central to both congregations. One was my first hall and it is now a Christian church. I don't know about the other hall. The new one is located on prime commercial property and looks pretty good. It even has a few vertical strips that are actually real windows. I didn't get a chance to ask a former elder friend a whole lot before he apparently ceased all contact with me because I'm an evil apostate for telling other local dubs about the UN thingy. Funny how the borg is a little touchy about that subject. I DF'd the WTBTS/JW cult before they got all their doo doo in one pile for a kangaroo court so am kinda persona non grata around this neck of the woods. My new place of worship is owned solely by the congregation just like in the first century. Our budget is $2 million or so a year compared to the last KH I was in which was $25,000 or so a year. We have a lot of outreach programs, charities, several different ministries and a whole street of homes for our missionaries to stay in when they return home from abroad for a visit so the money is well spent and we have business meetings every quarter to audit the books publicly so everyone knows where every red cent is being spent. One big difference is a plate is passed around on Sunday but most of us just drop off our offerings through the week or whenever and we never hear about some young JW brother in Nicaragua who had a pet chicken he sold for $1 US and sent the money to the WTBTS because all the US brothers were poor from all the new cars they bought (I am not kidding. We had a SM part and that was the topic. Give more, more, more). Oh yeah, it is one medium-size church out of probably a 1,000 in this city and we have 1,800 or more in attendance every Sunday A.M. and about 1/2 that on Wednesday nights. God did say He was going to speed it up didn't he. Poor misguided, misinformed, deceived and deluded dubs. If only they would open their eyes about the cult they belong to before its is too late.

• morning glory
    morning glory

Greetings again,

Just checking into this thread after a night's rest.Thanks for the welcome from all.

I found this strange too that the WTS would suggest selling a KH when we have been led to believe that the "organization" would be going "full tilt" when the GT struck. Now,they are obviously anticipating a decrease instead! This action in itself indicates that there is something wrong about it all.

As far as how I discovered the NGO thingy.I always had reservations or questions about certain Watchtower teachings so one day I was checking the net to see if anyone else in this big world had similar ideas as myself.Somehow during this research I stumbled across the NGO thingy. I hadn't even heard of an NGO before! At first,I thought it was "apostate lies",the typical JW reaction. But as I looked further into it,I saw that it was REALLY true. The acceptance of this reality led to further investigation into other areas of the religion,and now I can see what this organization is all about.

I get a gut feeling that there IS something to this KH selling,especially in the cases where there really is no legitimate reason to sell in the first place. The only explanation that I can see in these cases is that ultimately the WTS will end up getting all the money from these sales.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

When my wife and I saw a pic online of a kingdom hall with a for sale sign, we went hysterical, We were on the floor laughing. LOL

• hubert
    hubert
    Does the "mold problem" seem like a valid reason to sell the Hall?

In this case, it may. I've been there for a wedding a while back, and it smelled pretty rancid.

I don't know if this type of problem can be alleviated or not. I imagine in today's technological world, there must be a way to clean it up. so maybe it is just an excuse. Like I said, it's a prime real estate property. Land prices have more than tripled in the last ten years around here.

Hubert

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings morning glory

great subject thread MG. Welcome to the board. I hope we see many more KH's up for sale in the future.

Dismembered

"Don't you go dyin' on me now"

• observador
    observador
    They sold 2 KH's here and the 2 congregations borrowed $ from the WTS and built a new one

See? That's what I'm talking about. Instead of selling one and building two, the're doing the opposite, which may be a sign of membership problem, at least in some areas.

It could also be an indication of the quality of "buying power" of those who stay in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit