What's the most thought-provoking novel you've ever read?

by lucky 87 Replies latest jw friends

• fairchild
    fairchild
    (sith) How come nobody picked "The Truth That Leads To Eternal Life"?

Because it is merely a work of fiction, not thought provoking at all.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have many books that have been more enjoyable and my favorites,

but as a young teen reading Lord of the Flies, really was thought provoking for me.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Dostoyevsky

White Nights is my favorite

The last two paragraphs from White Nights by Fyodor Dostoevsky

But that I should feel any resentment against you, Nastenka! That I should cast a dark shadow over your bright, serene happiness! That I should chill and darken your heart with bitter reproaches, wound it with secret remorse, cause it to beat anxiously at the moment of bliss! That I should crush a single one of those delicate blooms which you will wear in your dark hair when you walk up the aisle to the altar with him! On no-never, never! May your sky be always clear, may your dear smile be always bright and happy, and may you be for ever blessed for that moment of bliss and happiness which you gave to another lonely and grateful heart!

Good Lord, only a moment of bliss? Isn't such a moment sufficient for the whole of a man's life?

• glitter
    glitter

I read The Grapes of Wrath last summer. An amazing book - and what a haunting final scene!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Just finished The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, and I loved it. She has a great style. And IMO she paints a more realistic dystopian vision than Orwell did in 1984. Very prophetic of what is happening in our time, she had tremendous foresight considering it was written in the 1980's.

I also LOVED Persepolis I and II. Fantastic books.

• Mulan
    Mulan

You guys do realize that Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom are not novels, don't you?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Bear with me. THIS will probably be a novel in itself.

Back in the early 80's my best friend and I swapped books all the time. She had lent me one that I really liked and I kinda hated to give it back. (She had borrowed it from her daughter who did want it back) It was called "Ghost Fox" by James Houston, and it was from a Reader's Digest hardbook series.

In 1998, I got into genealogy, I had heard we had Native American ancestry and set out with our new computer to look into this. I ended up finding someone who was connected to our line and we began to correspond. She lives in FL and designs Native American beaded jewelry.

After a few months we discovered that we shared a common ancestor named Sarah Bragdon from Maine. She had been taken captive, through the woods and streams to Canada where she ended up being taken to live with an Akenabe Prince and bore him two children. There is SO much more, but that's the gist of it.

It all sounded so familiar to me, but I knew that I had never heard about this "Sarah" before. It dawned on me one day---it was the same story (fiction) that I had read that time. Problem---I just couldn't recall the title OR the author of the book!!!

I somehow had the word "wolf" stuck in my head, and searched everywhere to find anything with this in the title. Nada. Out of sheer frustration I wrote to the Readers Digest folks telling them my dilemma, and a very nice lady sent an even nicer letter telling me what book I needed (that edition was long out of print) and I then ordered it from Amazon.

It was so eerie, all the parallels to my "Sarah", although in the book the name was something else. It was fiction anyway so I couldn't depend on the accuracy of events, but it sure was close to what has been documented in my Farnham/ Bragdon line.

One more thing that I'd like to add, was that after she was taken back by her brother between 7-10 years later, it wasn't horrible enough that her family had been killed off that day, and living through the terror of being abducted, etc------when she got back to Maine, the City Fathers saw fit to arrest her and charge her with ADULTERY and HAVING A BASTARD CHILD! This is exactly the wording that was used on the court document! SOME welcome home, huh?

Genealogy can be time consuming and sometimes boring searching through endless records looking for places, names and dates that match up.....but when you hit upon things like this...well, what can say? I've had a few real surprises!

Annie

• JW83
    JW83

Great story, Sunspot!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit