What's the most thought-provoking novel you've ever read?

by lucky 87 Replies latest jw friends

• lucky
    lucky

I'd have to say for me that it was Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. Even though I don't agree with a lot of her philosophy, it definitely made me stumble around in a thought-induced haze for a few weeks after reading it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I haven't read many they did not make me read. I prefer poetry. Of those forced, my favourite was Howard's End, not for the totality of the story, which is rather dull, but for endearing incidental observations along the way.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

One of the few books I've read is Motley Crue's autobiography "The Dirt". That one got me thinking, believe it or not.

I have some Ayn Rand books, and I've been meaning to read them.

• Terry
    Terry

Anything by Ayn Rand

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Salman Rushdie's (me?) Satanic Verses.

You have to read it two or three times to understand it. He certainly has no time for religion.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Wuthering Heights. I read it when I was a teenager and again as an adult.

LHG

• Sith
    Sith

Atlas Shrugged, for sure

• desbah
    desbah

hummm....have alot of books to list but the most thought-provoking would be Joesph Conrad-Heart of Darkness.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

The Alchemist

• rebel8
    rebel8

Don't laugh--mine was Celestine Prophecy. It was thought-provoking for me because it made me realize there are so many other possible truths out there than just the traditional Christian view.

Salman Rushdie's (me?) Satanic Verses.

I was thinking of buying that the other day. What is it about? Why Satanic? Is it just anti-religion?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit