Field Service is a Farce

by swiftbreeze 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• swiftbreeze
    swiftbreeze

longhairgal:

I know i've been there...i used to love working with the holy er than thou sisters..i was pegged as being weak so they would try to intimidate me with the "i'm so holy attitude" but i would always act like i didnt give a *uck..if they didnt speak or talk, i would just kill em with more silence. when i did talk i would make sure to use alot of slang. I felt like this if you want to label me as weak why expect anything else..

• rebel8
    rebel8
    sounds like it might be time for people to start putting themselves on the "do not call" list ( https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx ).

30. Are calls from political organizations or calls soliciting for charities covered?

This is an interesting point and one I would like to discuss further. My questions:

1. Would phone witnessing be regarded legally as charity work? Why? It's not humanitarian like most charities. How could it be classified as charity work?
    2. If they are a charity, then the callers are not soliciting for it. The callers are selling magazines and preaching--very different than calling and asking for a donation to a charity.
    3. Are pioneers still allowed to buy the literature at a discount and sell it at face value? If so, then they are making a personal profit from it. If they are soliciting people by phone to purchase literature from them (even if they deliver it and collect the funds at a later date), then wouldn't this make them telemarketers? And if they're telemarketers, then they could get sued for noncompliance with the law. Word to the wise.
  • cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Some of the pioneers I worked with would move so slow. We wasted a lot of time driving way out of town to do a return visit that was never at home--then we'd get to a territory and sit in the car for a long time reading the magazines to be placed, studing and marking the terrritory cards then doing a few not at homes, which were never at home. We slowly got out of the car--slowly put the sunshade up in the window, slowly walked down the street. We'd slowly knock on the door and then stand there for several minutes just waiting even though it was apparent that no one was there. There was not eagerness to get to the doors--no great zeal to get out and save people. Many days we would not even talk to one person, but of course we were told that just being out in about in the community was a good witness to the people who saw us--yeh, right. I think the only effect we really had on anything was getting some dogs to bark at us. Lots of wasted hours there--too bad JWs don't spend their man hours doing something useful.

cybs

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

It is also a farce because accomplishes nothing.

I think of all the time the brothers have spent in the field service since I stopped going to the meeting a couple of years ago. Not one new person converted. If they had spent a fraction of that time encouraging me then I might have been tempted to go back - thinking these people really care about me.

I believe it is a fallacy to think that a religion will grow by actively proselitizing they grow by attracting people by their lifestyle, morals and actions, ot by hammering doors.

Eyeslice

• steve2
    steve2
    Some of the pioneers I worked with would move so slow.

Same here in New Zealand. In fact, I think one of the keys to surviving as a pioneer is to move as slow as possible, whether it be by foot, vehicle or bike. Anything faster than a snail's pace and you risk burnout!!

The tricks of the trade are universal. No where is the unity of JWs more evident than in their approach to door-knocking. The longer you've been in the organization, the slower you move. it's like the law of gravity: Impossible to resist.

The cleverest tact of all? Traveling miles and miles and miles to pay a visit on a householder that was not home the first time you called and that you pretty well know will still be a not-at-home when you return. Ah, the tricks that lead to survival are second to none.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Hey rebel! Nice to see you on this board!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

The cleverest tact of all? Traveling miles and miles and miles to pay a visit on a householder that was not home the first time you called and that you pretty well know will still be a not-at-home when you return. Ah, the tricks that lead to survival are second to none.

You would think that wasting gas would discourage this, but I've seen this and participated in this!

The seeing elderly people by pioneers and elders is another one, I know they count it as field service time!

• wiegel
    wiegel

"some of the pioneers move slow"?

correction: some of the pioneers move.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit