Serious questions about breastfeeding

by wordlywife 22 Replies latest social family

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

I will thank everyone ahead of time for not turning this thread into something it ought not to be.

I am expecting my third child and have never breast fed before. My questions are these:

Has anyone ever been painfully shy of their breasts in public? I always have been, I just feel very weird about attention being given to them in ways I'd rather not, and feel that breastfeeding is going to make me even more aware of it and shy/inhibited, even if I am covered with a blanket,etc.

I have read all I can about breast feeding. I have a really dumb question that I would rather ask someone in a PM as it just seems too embarrasing to ask here.

If there are any Moms out there who would like to share their expereinces here about how it went for you, I'd appraciate it. For some reason I am shy/fearful about it and I know I shouldn't be (natural, best for baby, bonding, etc.)

Thanks-

WW

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

I'm sending you a pm.

• devinsmom
    devinsmom

Are you worried about breastfeeding in public because you are planning on it? I nursed my son and never once had to feed him in public.If we were out and about I just went out to my car which I had the windows tinted on so I had lots of privacy there. Also If I knew we were going to be out for a while I would bring along a bottle and make sure I had pumped some milk for him or even would give him some formula. He had no problem with "nipple confusion" and I could switch between nursing and a bottle with no problem. I also bought a "boppy" to put around my waist while nursing it was much better than using a pillow. What other things are you wondering about?

-April

• lilbit
    lilbit

Feel free to pm me I nursed both of my munchkins

lilbit

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Contact the La Leche League most likely there will be a Chapter near you:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/

Although it's been nearly 3 decades since I breastfed my 5 babies, lol. I know the concerns as a new Mother I had many of the same ones you mentioned.

Has anyone ever been painfully shy of their breasts in public? I always have been, I just feel very weird about attention being given to them in ways I'd rather not, and feel that breastfeeding is going to make me even more aware of it and shy/inhibited, even if I am covered with a blanket,etc.

I never bared my breast in public yet I nursed my babies in public places, it can be done discretely and when they need to nurse duty calls. Very seldom will you find yourself in a position where you can't have some semblance of privacy. One way to be discrete is to dress for nursing. Wear two piece clothing and wear a nursing bra, your top can easily be pulled up and if it's loose fitting like a blouse not a tighter fitting T-shirt the blouse can drape over and nothing shows but the top of the babies head. Having a nursing bra helps because you just unfasten the front of it and refasten when done, otherwise you are struggling to pull up the bra and struggling to pull it back down.

For me the hardest part of breastfeeding was the first few weeks of soreness. The La Leche League suggest that in the last few weeks of your pregnancy you use a terry wash cloth and while showering you toughen up your nipples, this helps a lot!

I highly recommend breastfeeding it's a wonderful way to bond with the baby and is also very good for the infants general health. I was too lazy to mess with all the bottles and formula.

My Grandma had a saying about breastfeeding: "You don't have to sterilize the nipples, mix formula or warm the bottle, it's handy plus it comes in such cute containers!"

I wish you much success!

Kate

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

As a breastfeeding educator and childbirth doula, maybe I can help. Feel free to pm me.

• bem
    bem

I'm sending you a PM. and the league Kate mentioned are awesome.

~ Dorothy

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

Having never breastfed, it's probably hard to imagine a baby hanging off of them. But after a few weeks of nursing in the privacy of your bedroom or living room, you'll start to see them in their new role, your baby's most sacred attachment.

Usually moms stick close to home the first few weeks or months. After about 8 weeks, it's very easy to discreetly nurse in public. Always wear a long, blousy shirt you can life up from the bottom and still cover your back and side. Holding the baby on the side you're going to nurse on, you can quickly reach in and undo your nursin bra without anyone noticing. Before 8 weeks, you may need some privacy to help baby latch on, but by two months you should be able to stick their head under your shirt and just point them in the general direction and they'll latch on with no problem.

If you're shirt is long enough, there's no skin at all showing and the only hint anyone will have that you're nursing is if they notice your shirt bunched a little above the baby's head. I've nursed my three while grocery shopping, at restaurants, the movies, wherever.

My advice is to always have the number of a good lactation consultant ready BEFORE the baby is born. When you're recooperating and exhausted and worried about whether the baby is getting enough or suffering with sore nipples is not the time to be hunting down a L.C. Most people just go to their pediatrician or OB, who is not thoroughly trained in breastfeeding and will probably recommend supplementing when not necessary.

Bikerchick is right about LLL. They are usually great and a wonderful support and resource. If you ever feel like giving up because something's just not working right, give them a call and see if they can help.

Congragulations! and feel free to contact me with anything regarding childbirth or newborns.

Pennycandy

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

I work full time in an office environment, and I also have cocerns about when I return to work having leakage, and also about using a pump period, it just sounds so mechanical and awful, not to mention uncomfortable. I know they will probably go over all this with me at the hospital, but I have this nagging feeling I won't enjoy it at all or I'll be so embarrased about it that I won't want anyone in the room even at the hospital when I attempt it. I have to have a c-section also, and am also concerned about pain from this and trying to recover, and having to feed baby every 2 hours and never getting any rest in order to recover from surgery. I've had 2 c-sections prior, but I have never attempted breast feeding before as my husband at the time was in no way supportive of it, and with my funny feelings about my breasts I didn't even try. However my husband now (JW) is highly supportive of it and of me, and I know he will help with everything (he does now), but he really can't help with breastfeeding, it's all up to me.

I wish I knew why I am so inhibited against it. Thank you all for your PM's also. I appreciate it.

Worldly Wife **feeling silly and embarrassed**

• codeblue
    codeblue

Hey....no need to feel embarrassed. You know, before I had my baby, I felt the same way. So your feelings are just "normal".

I breastfed my son in public......I thought I would be embarrassed but you can discreetly breastfeed without exposing ANYTHING....

However if you aren't comfortable with the thought, you can run back to your car, or go to the women's restroom...

I hope this helps you out!!!

CodeBlue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit