Serious questions about breastfeeding

by wordlywife 22 Replies latest social family

• Scully
    Scully

Congratulations on the upcoming happy event!

I'm a Registered Nurse and I work in Mother-Baby Care. 75% of my time involves assisting breastfeeding mothers. Feel free to PM if I can be of any assistance.

Breastfeeding practice and education has changed a great deal over the past 20 years or so. It is no longer recommended, for example, to "toughen up" your nipples in any way. Ensuring a correct latch and position every time baby goes to breast is the best way to prevent soreness. If you want to practice different positions with a doll before the baby arrives, this will help you feel a bit more comfortable in positioning the baby for breastfeeding. It is important to support your breast with one hand while baby is latched, this prevents the baby from slipping down onto the nipple and causing trauma to the sensitive tissue there. Using a breastfeeding pillow helps keep baby in the correct position, but you can also achieve the same results with regular pillows or folded blankets on your lap.

Also, understanding that your milk production varies over the course of the day will help you get through some of the rough spots when baby does what is called clusterfeeding. This is normal behaviour that helps to stimulate milk production when baby is having growth spurts and in the early couple of days before your milk has come in and baby may be experiencing some normal weight loss after birth. It is important to remember that the baby's behaviour is normal and it is his/her way of communicating to your body what he/she needs.

If you have problems with breastfeeding during your hospital stay, the nursing staff should be available to help you. You may also be able to enlist the assistance of Lactation Consultants if the hospital has them on staff. LC's sometimes also offer services in the community and would be willing to visit you at home for a modest fee if you require help at home. There may also be community "Well Baby Clinics" where you can speak to a Public Health Nurse about breastfeeding issues.

Best wishes, Scully

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I breast fed in public all the time, never felt weird once, how could something so natural be frowned upon is beyond me. If people bug you about breastfeeding such as how long you plan on breastfeeding, respond with humor..... "as soon as he starts college" It shuts them them up right away!

La Leche League is a great site.

DL76

• Sith
    Sith

<----biting>

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit