Serious questions about breastfeeding

by wordlywife 22 Replies latest social family

• mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

great for the baby!! bad for the figure

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I breastfed both Jennie and Jackson, and it was an incredible experience. I also went back to work and pumped milk, and there was no problem except that Jennie wouldn't take a bottle -- she wanted the real thing or nothin' (accompanied by screams of anger) -- so Chris would bring her to work at lunchtime (he was working nights) and I'd find an empty office.

I agree with pennycandy -- after a couple of weeks you cease to see your breasts as sex objects and wonder why the hell anyone else would.

Leakage: they make pads for that. Wear them; you'll need them, and they really do work.

Pain: It's a weird feeling, but when the milk starts flowing you can feel it coursing down inside like rivers heading for the nipples. A little odd at first, but you get used to it and I didn't find it painful at all. Just different.

Public: If you're shy, find a bathroom or sit in the car with a towel over you. I never did breastfeed in public, but lots of people do, and I've even seen clothing made especially for that purpose, so surf the Net or ask LLL.

Do it -- it's a wonderful bond with your baby and you know for sure that they're getting the best possible meal. Oh, but look out for lentil soup -- that gave Jennie the absolute worst colic ever! Remember, they're getting what you're eating.

Hugs,

Nina

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I breastfed my son till he was almost 18 months old. Breast feeding is a natural and wonderful expirience. PM with any questions.

DL76

• codeblue
    codeblue

Breastfeeding is GREAT for your figure. I lost quite a lot of weight...from breastfeeding. Everyone was surprised I even had a baby a month after he was born!!! I had people looking me up and down, like they couldn't figure HOW I was the mother...(no joking either)

CodeBlue

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Contact the La Leche League most likely there will be a Chapter near you:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/

Absolutely! They are awesome and give so much valuable support to nursing mothers. Call them now before the baby comes.

I breastfed all four of our children and only did it in public a few times total, when it couldn't be helped, but covered with a blanket. People know you are doing it and don't care.................really. It isn't a sexual thing............maybe to a teenaged boy, but even they know that babies eat there.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

<----- Trying really really hard not to be naughty.

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

Nina-

I make a great lentil casserole with bacon, which I love! Oh well!

Thanks everyone for your help and advice-only 4 weeks left to go! Hopefully I'll be successful and all this fretting about BF will be for nothing.

WW

• happyout
    happyout

Hi, WorldlyWife,

I can't begin to describe to you how much breastfeeding my son meant to me. It created a wonderful bond between us (not that non-nursing mothers don't have a bond, I just feel it's different), and made me feel good knowing how much better breast milk was for him than formula. I had to go back to work also, so I bought an electric pump, and used it in the bathroom. I didn't really like having to do that, there's no couches or anything in there, so I had to roll my chair in there, and get in a corner where there was an outlet. It went pretty fast, and of course all the other women were very supportive, so it turned out ok. I was initially VERY shy about my breasts, but after about two months of breastfeeding, I really did get over it. Not that I popped my boobs out in front of Joe Public or anything LOL, I just stopped imagining everyone was staring at me (and they really weren't).

At the beginning, it actually was a little painful for me, because my son had problems learning to latch on correctly. After a couple of weeks though, it was a breeze. It was so much easier than heating formula and toting bottles! It was great.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me anytime.

Happyout - a happy retired breastfeeding mom

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

Good boy Elsewhere.......

I'm feeling weird enough about it as it is!

WW

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

Pumping at work can work, but it can be hard. Here are some pointers:

1. Start off pumping frequently if you are hoping not to have to supplement. As the machines aren't near as effective as the baby at expressing the milk, your milk supply can drop dramatically in the first week of work, especially if you're going back before 12 weeks. Try to start by pumping at least 3-4 times during the work day. If you're getting enough to feed baby with the next day, keep it up for a few weeks, then see if you can cut it down.

2. Get one of the delux double electric pumps. It's well worth it if you're using it every day. You can buy or rent them from the hospital, or most lactation consultants.

3. Try to have a quiet, comfortable place you can really relax. Bring one of the baby's gowns and a picture of him/her to help with the let-down reflex.

4. Even if you find pumping isn't working for you, you can supplement during the day, and still have a breastfeeding relationship in the mornings and evenings.

Cesarean babies sometimes need extra help clearing their airway, as they don't get the chest-squeeze from the birth canal, and breastfeeding is an excellent way to help this. You can nurse as soon as you feel like it, even if you've had general anesthesia.

You'll probably find that at first the football hold is the easiest on your scar. Use lots of pillows!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit