What was your most humiliating point of being a jw?

by love11 42 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Going to McDonald's in a suit on Saturday. Especially considering that my whole resteraunt is satffed by people from my school.

Today in English we were discussing religion and I talked about my atheistic views and used my "accurate knowledge" of the Bible to make it work against itself. Then this girl literally goes, "but you came to my door once". So then I had to explain that My mother is a JW and I occasionally go out to appease her...

I could've died right then and there.

• love11
    love11

Wow, hopefully these stories I've read here, have been an eye opener for those lurking. It's sad when really young children get so mistreated. Like having to go to the bathroom is a sin and hiding in a tornado is wrong. Crazy!

I remember my very first experience of being humiliated as a jw. I was between 3-4 years old and we were on vacation in Hocking Hills. My dad decided to place a call on this old house on the hill. He told me to come with him just to get me out of the car for awhile. I remember feeling like we shouldn't go, or shouldn't be there. We started walking up a dirt driveway when this big german shepard dog came out of no where. All of a sudden my dad picked me up and ran then threw me on top of the station wagon. The dogs teeth and face looked like a wolf when my dad grabbed me again and tryed to throw me in the window quickly before the dog got to me. Then he gradually squirmed his way back in the car. Once inside my mom started screaming because my dad's flesh on his leg hands and knees were hanging off of him. After everyone calmed down somewhat we wondered if the dog might have rabies and so my dad just started honking the horn until someone came out. An old lady with a cane came down the hill slowly with her dog. When she got to the car she started yelling at my dad and said, "What are you doing here anyways?" I felt embarrased that we were somewhere we didn't belong. I remember thinking, " If god wanted us to place magazines with those people then he wouldn't have let that happen." After they talked to the lady, my dad drove away and said he wondered if he should try and get money from the old lady for her dog attacking him. I said, "No, It's not her fault! It's our fault for sneaking up to her house." After that we went to the local hospital and my dad spent the rest of the vacation sitting near the pool on a lounge chair. I don't know how many stitches he got, but he looked like he was sown up by like a rag doll. I never wanted to go out in service after that. But I did. But not anymore and never will again. It taught me alot- Bad things happen when you're not where you're supposed to be.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

- turning down university scholarships in HS because i "wanted" to pioneer instead. the counselors all thought i was a totally idiot as a result. and retrospect, i was!

- being logically torn apart by an atheist at the door after having gone to pioneer school and being in the troof for 10 years.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

About 16 years old. Snuck out of the house and went to friend's house across the street. I wore her clothes to a dance at the recreation center. My Mom found out and came and snatched me outta there... grrrr. So embarassing! Thankfully, everyone knew the reason why!

CG

• luna2
    luna2

love11's experience with the dog reminded me of going door to door out in the country and how we'd pull up to these farm houses where dogs would come tearing up to the car pretty regularly. Whoever was driving would always honk the horn and force these people to either come out of their houses or out of the barn to deal with us. I hated it. I thought it was the rudest behavior I'd ever seen and wanted to hide when they'd come up to the car, usually pretty angry at being disturbed like that.

I think one of the last times I went out in service, the two gals that I was with decided to work a very busy shopping center parking lot. For some reason I froze. I couldn't do it. I was humiliated to be there at all while they defied the shopping center management (who, they informed me smugly, would kick them out if they found out we were there), and humiliated in front of the two sisters because I could not force myself to join in. Double whammy.

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

Wow.

I was sitting in a JC for "moral uncleanliness" (I wont go into details) and the questions that both those elders asked me about "how far" and and things NO grown man should be asking a 15 yr old, you know the whole "did you scream" act....while my parents sat there dumbfounded and my dad crying...I started crying....the winner of it all?

The elder asked me now "WHy are you crying?" DUH??!!??!?!? Gees why would a scared teenager be crying at the dissappointment of all these people. When I told him "I don't know" (because all I was thinking was how I would like to dig out his eyes with my thumbs) he said I must have been crying because I got caught, then rattled off some stupid fornication scripture to me.

I was so humiliated I decided then and there never to let them upset me again.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" -Eleanor Roosevelt

Melba

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

Every time they handed out the little piece of paper showing you what your average hours were. Like I did'nt know.

• love11
    love11

One time my dad called me to come and eat. I was at a neighbor kids house and playing on the porch. I heard my dad and started to run down the porch steps. Her mom peeked out of the screen door and said wait a minute you're not going anywhere until you help pick up this mess. I was frantically trying to pick up the toys as fast as I could to get home before my dad got mad. Next thing you know, I felt someone grab my arm behind me and started hitting me with a belt. It was my dad. He hit me more than 20 times all the way home and across the street. Right out in broad day light. She only lived about 5 doors down on the other side of the street and we lived in the city. I was screaming bloody murder and no one said a word. My friend was not allowed to play with me after that happened because they didn't want "my kind" hanging out with there daughter that they spoiled rotten.

• pc
    pc

2nd grade Miss Purcell's class. After returning from Christmas break being told to stand in the hallway while she passed out thank you notes to everyone in the class for the Christmas gifts she recieved from everyone but me!

Having my guidence counselor tell my parents how high my test scores were and my great potential for a top college and my parents explain to him pioneering is where my future is. Then of course trying to place magazines with him!

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

My heart goes out to all of you!

I was one of those mothers that forced their children to do those things..I apologize for all those stupid parents that were and still are so misguided that they would do that form of child abuse. That's what it really is.

I didn't really know how much it embarrased them until they were grown and we were all out of that disgusting religion!

I remember thinking that "Jehovah" would protect us also. Well that was pretty naieve seeing how he allowed many to be killed for their beliefs.

Malawi..refusing blood...and so on.

Snoozy..of the I'm so disgusted with the JW's class!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit