What was your most humiliating point of being a jw?

by love11 42 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Brother making fun of me from the stage when I was handling mic's and I couldnt find the person he called on. Congregation laughing, the whole bit.

Asshole.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

When I was in 7th grade, everyone knew I wouldn't fight. There was this one big kid who used to like to hit me as hard as he could in the arm every day on the bus to and from school. I remember two reasons I didn't do anything at the time, one was I was taught not to. The other I was afraid because I had never hit anyone before, my dad never even taught me how to throw a baseball (couldn't do it, for real), so physically I was small framed and weak. One day I was changing clothes and my mom saw this big black slab of meat on the top of my shoulder (the bruise was literally black)...and was so upset about it when I told her why I hadn't said anything to anyone. It went on for the better part of a year.

Then one day was the wrong day, and I hit him with so much hate he never touched me again.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Some of these are so sad, and most of us probably find it so hard to name just one most humiliating point,,,,,,,,,geshhhh school was murder.

I always felt so bad for those in the congregation who were on restrictions ( myself included) and everybody knew they did SOMETHING, but not sure. The look of shame was so evident. Sad, Sad, and EVIL!!!!!! Cruel.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Being fired as store manager for not going to Xmas party.......when they are really the time when they acknowledge years achievements, and such......but do it at X-mas time....being in such a high position is was inexcusable.

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

I know of a similiar story where a guy(jw) got picked on in school quite a bit. He was not small or weak but a turn the cheek kind of brother until one day he had enough. By the time he was done kicking his tormentors ass he left the school via ambulance with a broken arm, numerous broken ribs and a fractured skull.

• Reddrum
    Reddrum

I can think of one right now, but there is several. When they would invite me after the meetings to go on a picnic at a certain public park, and I was supposed to bring the cold drinks and I would arrive prepared, and nobody else would show up, that's how they displayed ther "agape" love for their fellowman.

I guess they got tired of I being around with them for such a very long time, and not getting baptized.

• blondie
    blondie

After the sexual, emotional and verbal abuse at home, nothing else could be more humiliating. It was actually training for those moments outside the home. I moved so much that it was like having a fresh slate every 2 years.

Second most humiliating was some of the gossip spread around by the faithful JWs in my congregation. Some JWs not only withhold the truth but will make up their version of "the truth."

Blondie

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

#(1)....After being invited in a home while out in service..my small son ( who I had just picked up from school )..had disappeared while I was sitting on the couch pointing out a scripture in the bible to the lady. I called out Son..where are you? (He was only 5) I heard a loud voice from the hallway.."I'm in here pooping Mom! OMG.................The lady just sat there with a disgusted look on her face. Of course I never went back there and I don't think she will let any more JW's in her house..And I couldn't get out of there fast enough!..

#2)....Then there was the time I was giving a talk ..Ministry school..and my son always had to use the girls bathroom with me..I wouldn't let him go alone and his Dad wasn't going to meetings then.Apparently he again had to go to the bathroomSo the sister watching him just let him go..he automatically went to the girls bathroom.From the front of the hall while giving my talk I heard a "mom".. then a little louder.."Mom"..and pretty soon a yell.."MOM"..and then a panicky "MOM"..
    He was locked in the bathroom and couldn't get out!..The whole hall was just glaring at me. Not laughing or trying to help. Finally the sister watching him went back to get help.
    I continued to give my talk..(As brainwashed as I was) And they got him out.He was sniggling and went back to his chair..
    I was given a very good review for handling myself and the situation so well under stress Whoopee...

#3) Then there was the time he fell asleep laying across two metal chairs.I guess he was having a wet dream. Before I knew it water (Pee) was pouring from his chair..I ran and got towels from the bathroom and cleanned it up the best I could. But there was that look again...
    I wonder if they called me the "Potty Queen" after I left?

I didn't blame my poor son..I would pioneer a lot and since he only had half a day's school he would go with me out in service after that.
    Then 3 meeting nights a week..he was tired!
    One time he had Mono for 2 or 3 weeks before I noticed he had lost about 20 pounds!

I don't think I pioneered after that!

Snoozy...

ps..I enjoyed all the stories!..Thanks.. I don't think I read the question right.. I just thought of embarrasing moments when I was a JW..

• evita
    evita

There are so many....

Freshman year in H.S. I was just studying and decided to do my History paper on the travels of the Apostle Paul. Unfortunately, I only used the WT publications as reference material. I was humiliated when I got my paper back! I was just a naive kid and did not know how the world viewed the "scholarship" of the WTBTS.

Doing street work in my very small town as my schoolmates drove by and waved. UGH!

Being counseled by the elders for minor things.

Sitting through a talk or study when the material applied to me. Humiliation + Shame

Actually, many of my experiences were humiliating. I was a very self-conscious teen. The org was the worst place for me to build confidence. I had to do all that later.

E.

• Mary
    Mary

1. Standing outside the door for Opening Exercises every frigging morning-----embarassment at it's finest.
    2. Having to be "excused from class" every time they did fun stuff for Mother's Day, Father's Day, Hallowe'en, Birthdays or Christmas.
    3. In grade 6, the music teacher was choosing different students as bell ringers for the Christmas pagent and one by one we all had to get up in front of the class and demonstrate that we could read music, which I could. I really, really, wanted to be a bell ringer---I just thought it sounded so beautiful and I knew I could do it. Anyway, she chose me to be a bell ringer and in front of the whole class, I had to tell her I couldn't do it because of the religion. I was so humiliated, angry and disappointed. If the bell ringers weren't going to be on TV, I would have gone ahead and done it, seeing as I was the only Witless at the school.......never got over that one.....I'm not sure why.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit