Well, how do you like it?

by Schizm 33 Replies latest jw friends

• JAVA
    JAVA

Art, and the meaning to the artist and those viewing it is always interesting because of the various interpretations folks come away with. The suggestion that David used a staff as a "ploy" to draw Goliath out from behind a large shield makes sense. David matched wit against brute strength, and David was the victor.

The moral of "Big is not always bright" leaves me with questions (I think art should do that). For example, what was behind this outcome? David's wit, David's luck, Goliath's lack of foresight, Goliath's disdainfully proud attitude, Jehovah's guiding influence, or something else?

• delilah
    delilah

Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm", the talent is incredible, the artwork STUNNING. To say the least. I'm blown away by the beauty of these sculptures...Java, your sons work is beautiful....You should be proud, indeed!!!!!

Dee

• Schizm
    Schizm
    The moral of "Big is not always bright" leaves me with questions (I think art should do that). For example, what was behind this outcome? David's wit, David's luck, Goliath's lack of foresight, Goliath's disdainfully proud attitude, Jehovah's guiding influence, or something else?--JAVA.

Interesting point you bring up, JAVA.

According to the sculptor's explanation, one would have to say that Goliath's death has to be attributed to David's wit and skill at using his slingshot.

But does the account at 1 Samuel 17 suggest otherwise?:

37 Then David added: "Jehovah, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, he it is who will deliver me from the hand of this Phi·lis´tine." At this Saul said to David: "Go, and may Jehovah himself prove to be with you."

38 Saul now went clothing David with his garments, and he put a copper helmet upon his head, after which he clothed him with a coat of mail. 39 Then David girded his sword on over his garments and undertook to go [but could not], because he had not tried them out. Finally David said to Saul: "I am unable to go in these things, for I have not tried them out." So David removed them off him. 40 And he proceeded to take his staff in his hand and to choose for himself the five smoothest stones from the torrent valley and to place them in his shepherds' bag that served him as a receptacle, and in his hand was his sling. And he began approaching the Phi·lis´tine.

41 And the Phi·lis´tine began to come, coming nearer and nearer to David, and the man carrying the large shield was ahead of him. 42 Now when the Phi·lis´tine looked and saw David, he began despising him because he proved to be a boy and ruddy, of beautiful appearance. 43 So the Phi·lis´tine said to David: "Am I a dog, so that you are coming to me with staves?" With that the Phi·lis´tine called down evil upon David by his gods. 44 And the Phi·lis´tine went on to say to David: "Just come to me, and I will give your flesh to the fowls of the heavens and to the beasts of the field."

45 In turn David said to the Phi·lis´tine: "You are coming to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I am coming to you with the name of Jehovah of armies, the God of the battle lines of Israel, whom you have taunted. 46 This day Jehovah will surrender you into my hand, and I shall certainly strike you down and remove your head off you; and I shall certainly give the carcasses of the camp of the Phi·lis´tines this day to the fowls of the heavens and to the wild beasts of the earth; and people of all the earth will know that there exists a God belonging to Israel. 47 And all this congregation will know that neither with sword nor with spear does Jehovah save, because to Jehovah belongs the battle, and he must give YOU men into our hand."

48 And it occurred that the Phi·lis´tine rose and kept coming and drawing nearer to meet David, and David began hurrying and running toward the battle line to meet the Phi·lis´tine. 49 Then David thrust his hand into his bag and took a stone from there and slung it, so that he struck the Phi·lis´tine in his forehead and the stone sank into his forehead, and he went falling upon his face to the earth. 50 So David, with a sling and a stone, proved stronger than the Phi·lis´tine and struck the Phi·lis´tine down and put him to death; and there was no sword in David's hand. 51 And David continued running and got to stand over the Phi·lis´tine. Then he took his sword and pulled it out of its sheath and definitely put him to death when he cut his head off with it. And the Phi·lis´tines got to see that their mighty one had died, and they took to flight.

Now, did Jehovah deliver David or not? If so, then how?

• love11
    love11

It's beautiful! He should do one with mermaids too! Next time you talk to him ask him if he'll do mermaids next!

• Schizm
    Schizm

Because so many of you seem to really appreciate this man's work I'm compelled to point you to his website. Please go there, and I think you'll be even more impressed: http://walt-horton.com/

• donald
    donald

not bad..i like it...donald

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

He might not be ranked with Michelangelo, Donatello, Bernini and Verrocchio, but by golly, he is definitely working his way up.

http://www.statue.com/statue-of-david.html

• love11
    love11

This ones my favorite!

• love11
    love11

Java I like your son's sculpture!

Kenneson- Your link isn't coming up. Ok I see it now. Ya' no one can top the michaelangelo david! It's breath taking.

• gumby
    gumby

Schizm.....ya damn male boob loving horny bastard. I've talkrd to you before about lookin at those damn religious greek sites that show uncircumcised men with dingers that look like anteaters.....Haven't I? Stop it!

Gumboliath

* still thinks Goliath woulda kicked Davids skinny rock throwin arse*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit