Is 2034 ''New Light''?

by MidwichCuckoo 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Bear with me. Over the years JW have always strived after/prophesied (even though they deny this) a carrot ''date''. As dates come and go, we hear about ''New Light'', but according to the WT :-

A new view of truth never can contradict a former truth. "New light" never extinguishes older "light," but adds to it...

Is it a ''new thinking'' that 2034 is going to be a significant year on the basis that Noah had 120 years to prepare so WE will have the same? (1914 + 120 = 2034). If so I have a problem with this :-

In Noah's day, 120 years was perhaps one quarter, maybe more, of a lifetime of someone living then - so many living would witness the whole ''process'', it WOULD be within their generation. What logic is there in applying 120 years to today? That's almost twice a lifetime. If God had given this ''New Light'' in 1914, all those people wouldn't have been rushing around with such urgency.

I also don't understand WHY Jehovah would choose HIS people in the 19th Century, as there is no need to ''save'' people who are 'guaranteed' a resurrection anyway.

I can't help but wonder if it is confusing being a JW now - many things they preached years ago have now changed (NOT, in my opinion, added to as the above quote says). Do they ever think, ''Well, THIS is just temporary thinking, and another 'New Light' will be along shortly''. Maybe it's just become a way of life, not knowing what you HAVE to believe anymore. Psychologically it must be very damaging.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux
    Is it a ''new thinking'' that 2034 is going to be a significant year on the basis that Noah had 120 years to prepare so WE will have the same?

Where does the 120 years come from? Genesis tells us that Noah was 500 years old when he became father to Shem, Ham and Japheth, and that he was 600 years old when the flood arrived. He must have been given the command to build the ark sometime in between, because God mentions his sons and their wives. So if his sons were old enough to be married (20? 30?) that's only 70 or 80 years at most before the flood. Or have I missed something?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Welcome aboard

They get it from Gen.6:3, which they believe indicates that God warned Noah 120 years in advance, that he was going to bring a flood (which, incidentally, the text doesn't actually state).

• sweet tee
    sweet tee
    I can't help but wonder if it is confusing being a JW now - many things they preached years ago have now changed (NOT, in my opinion, added to as the above quote says). Do they ever think, ''Well, THIS is just temporary thinking, and another 'New Light' will be along shortly''. Maybe it's just become a way of life, not knowing what you HAVE to believe anymore. Psychologically it must be very damaging.

Hey Midwich! My experience with the flip-flop-new-light-bs-teachings was that most witnesses in my hall didn't respond at all ... the 'new light' regarding the King of the North, college education OK as long as you plan to pio. and 'this generation' teaching all seemed to go right over their heads. The reaction was more like a "we hear, and we obey".

My reaction was more like chicken little (the sky is falling, the sky is falling) I couldn't help but think of the so called new light as an error and I'd wonder 'if they were wrong about this, what else could they be wrong about . I couldn't blindly hang the rest of my life on guesses - obviously there was not spirit direction because according to the Word, God doesn't change.

I honestly don't know how the steadfast witnesses do it. I started having doubts after the first recognized flip - seeing numbers 2 & 3 sent me over the edge.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Is all this speculation necessary? Wait on Joe Hoba. He will give 'New Light' to his channel, soon.

• Erich
    Erich

Hi all

Likelihood of life expectancy today in Europe, Japan and USA is around 80 - 90 yrs, and grows slowly.

In about 30 years, it will be around 120 yrs, because then there are new gen-therapy-based anti-aging-treatments on the market.

But this is no solution of the main problem, because only rich countries are in the position to pay enough money for these technologies. Life expectancy in Africa e.g. will decrease more and more, instead of increase.

E.

• badboy
    badboy

who is joe hobba?

• fairchild
    fairchild
    who is joe hobba?

The one up above. Gosh, I've seen His name spelled in so many different ways. lol

• fairchild
    fairchild

I don't care if 2034 is new light or not. They can't twist "this generation" much longer and get away with it. No matter how great and how logical the explanation, I won't believe it.

Didn't they build a palace-like house for Moses, Abraham and all the men of old, for their return?. They said those men would be ressurected soon, soon, soon.. but that was about a generation ago.

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

You'll have to forgive me for being a bit "out of the loop" as it were, but are the WBTS actually mooting 2034 as a date to be, you know, "watched out for"? Have I missed something here? If someone could point me in the direction of a reference where they've mentioned anything about 2034 I'd be grateful. I must admit, I thought they'd learned their lesson as far as dates were concerned!

Ta muchly,

ig.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit