Did You Ever Think The "End" Was Going To Happen In Your Lifetime"?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

1975 was an interesting year. According to those around 1874, 1914, was too. Even 1941 and not to mention 1925.

1941?Im Not familiar with that one?

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I sure did!

By the hype the WBTS had in the early 70s, I for sure thought mankind wouldn't see the year 2000 without God's divine intervention.

Wow, was I wrong!!!

DY

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

Yes, the big "A" was always "around the corner" when I was an adolescent in the org. I never applied myself at highschool (big regrets now!). I even remember reading all those articles about the concentration camp experiences of military age JW men and thinking that I'd never be old enough to worry about that!

As I got older, I thought it odd that many JW's saved for retirement (often elders) since it seemed a definite sign of "lack of faith" to do so. My dad was lucky he got a partial pension from work or they'd be in dire straights right now. I shudder to think about the plight of "faithful" seniors in the org. over the next decade.

Maybe the society will get their congs. to shoulder this financial burden (or let'm eat dog food)?

W.

• FairMind
    FairMind

I can not say I believed with absolute certainty that the end would come in my life time but I can say I feared it would.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

As an SDA was taught it would but I didn't really believe this, even though those around me seemed to. I remember the name of a touring choir in 1971 was called The Last Generation Choir. I wonder if they are all grandparents now. I went along with it. If anything I believed there was a chance that the world's end or Armageddon, or whatever would come about through nuclear war, or some natural extinction event.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I always hoped it would... and yet I was kinda scared of it. It was because as a JW it seems nothing you do is good enough and you can always do more so I was always confused as to what the benchmark was for getting in the 'new world'.

They destroy people's prospects for real life now, regardless of any thought someone might have about afterlife.

Definitely agree with that AlmostAtheist. It reminds me of a thought Michael Caine said on a few occasions during interviews that 'some people live their lives like it's a rehearsal and not that important. Well it isn't - this is it. make the most of it.'

I'm pretty sure it's a dig at the JW attitude cos I knew the lady who was his housekeeper for many years. She is a JW and used to leave him watchtowers and awakes on his coffee table and 'witness' to him and his wife.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

When I was a kid (1980's) I thought that there was absolutly no way 2000 could ever get here. It just seemed soooo far away.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Without a doubt, I thought the end would come well before I turned 30.... I just turned 41.

What a waist of emotion and brain cells!

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• minimus
    minimus

So sad to see all those still hanging on to the sinking ship.

• prophecor
    prophecor

I always did believe it was right around the corner. I put my entire life on hold because I believed it would. I'm still waiting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit