Did You Ever Think The "End" Was Going To Happen In Your Lifetime"?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Although I was considered an exemplary JW, I never really could see it happening. Still don't.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sometimes I thought it might. Sometimes I still do think it might.

I now realise there are a lot of ways for a world to end...

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Absolutely! I was looking for the end any day. I never expected to get rid of my '78 Horizon, never expected to graduate high school, never expected to get married, have a kid, have another kid, see my kid enter school... Oddly though, all those things have happened. Hmmm...

Now I predict the world will end in 50-70 years. It couldn't really go on without me, could it?

Dave

• minimus
    minimus

Dave, the world won't end then. Just you will.......Slimboyfat, weren't you a rabid JW believer??

• Gill
    Gill

Yes! I was stupid enough to believe all that crap!
    Parents were always telling me, I' d never finish junior school, high school, senior school, college, have children in this system........and I kept proving them wrong. Unfortunately, I was too brainwashed to see it myself!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes I did.

I told a few people at the doors too. I said "it will happen in somebody's lifetime - what makes you think it won't be yours"?

• Mary
    Mary

Yep, I believed 100% that I would never be old in this System of Things-----it was a wonderful feeling, "knowing" that I'd never have to watch my grandparents or parents grow old and die, or that I'd never have to see wrinkles or grey hair when I looked in the mirror and that Paradise was right around corner waiting to solve all our problems............too bad none of it ever came true. I've watch my grandparents all die, my parents are getting up their in age so I'll have to watch them die too----something I am certainly not prepared for...................I'd really like to thank the Governing Body for totally screwing up my life by making promises in Jehovah's name that have all been broken.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Years ago when I was going through the brainwash mill, I believed it would be in our lifetime, but now I don't think it will and even if it did I don't care because I would have lived my life the way I wanted to, free of that cult.

Epictetus: said this of freedom and I agree, Freedom is the right to live as we wish.

His life is an amazing read.

Epictetus
    (
    55-135 )

Even though he was born a slave in Hierapolis and endured a permanent physical disability, Epictetus held that all human beings are perfectly free to control their lives and to live in harmony with nature. After intense study of the traditional Stoic curriculum (established by Zeno of Citium and Chrysippus ) of logic, physics, and ethics, Epictetus spent his entire career teaching philosophy and promoting a daily regime of rigorous self-examination. He eventually gained his freedom, but was exiled from Rome byDomitian in 89

End.

Love Orangefatcat

• luna2
    luna2

Yes, I believed it. I thought it would end before the year 2000. I knew I shouldn't set dates, blah, blah, blah, but most people like dates. We like dates that involve US! LOL

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Of course I thought so. When my parents told me I'd never get to high school before it happened I believed them.

When they refused me vaccinations for rubella when I was 9 because I would never reach child bearing age before the new system arrived, I believed

When I decided that there was no way god would let a miserable sinner like me through and that I was holding my family back and got myself disfellowshipped so he would spare them and blame me alone, I believed.

When I swallowed a 100 paracetemol wearing my favourite pink pajamas also at 16 because God just wasnt being quick enough with his destruction of me, I believed.

When I didnt die I still believed it would happen.

When I took class A drugs I believed.

When I slept with anybody and everybody I believed I had no future.

I let my iminent death at Armageddon dissuade me from everything from forming healthy friendships, from ever thinking of having children,from learning to drive, from going to college, from using my brains to start any kind of a proper career, from ever saving any money, from buying a house, and it gave me the excuse to treat myself badly and punish myself and take terrible risks with my health. I'd never have started smoking had I thought there was the slightest chance I'd still be on the planet at the grand old age of 30.

Pretty much I have believed myself to death almost. Thank goodness I know the Truth now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit