Kiss the son lest God be angry and you perish in the way

by Quotes 22 Replies latest jw friends

• lilbit
    lilbit

Damn you Quotes ya got that song stuck in my head now

Lilbit

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Greetings: (Hey I think I figured out why my posts are screwy formatted today, I am tying out Mozilla firefox browser instead of my usual IE) Hey I like that song. It has a very strong and forceful part on that line that is very dramatic. That is a good song. Yeah the thought comes straight from Psalms so don't be slagging the Society for making stuff up. You take it up with the Big Guy if you don't like the thought. And no it is not a mistranslation. We are responsible to Almighty God, the Father. If we reject his provision of our salvation that he gave to us, namely his Son, Christ Jesus, then it is he that we are displeasing - though no doubt the Son will be miffed too. -Eduardo

• vitty
    vitty

That was one of my favorites

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Thanks alot Quotes, now it will take me all day to get that song out of my head. It was one of my favs too.

Dismembered

"Gimme back my hat, ya punk"

• trevor
    trevor

Turn the battle to the gate,

Do not linger do not wait.

Follow the greater Jephthah,

Following him we will not fail.

Eh!

Another of the ridiculous songs we sang until our minds went numb and closed down with boredom ,leaving us exposed to the brainwashing that followed. These songs were a kind of hypnotic induction.

By the way Jephthah who was supposed to represent Jehovah, was the son of a prostitute. Is it is all starting to make sense now? (Judges 11:1)

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I'm with Vitty (Hi Vitty *waving*)

I enjoyed singing it. But you just had to remind us of it, eh Quotes!? Now I've got that song running thru my head. (We all live in a yellow submarine ba dum yellow submarine ba dum yellow submarine ba dum - there, that's better).

A kiss in greeting makes since given the culture. However, Jesus said to his deciples to NOT bow down to him because he was not the one to be worshipped (badly paraphrased, I know). But we don't want to get Jehovah(tm) angry, so we kiss Jesus anyway? Humph. No wonder I was so confused.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Quotes,

Quotes: OK, seriously, I think changing it to "lest God be angry" is pretty sneaky of WTS.
    KJV: Psalms 2:12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Probably a holdover from the ASV days. I know that song was around long enough. That said, may nothing ever detract attention from their genuine sneakiness...there is yet nothing in the text that would indicate someone other than the Son might be angry at him not getting his smooch, but they changed "he" to "He" in the Bible, and "he" to "God" in the song.

Their sneakiness persists, "Those of the [Governing Body] who were with him heard these things, and they said to him: 'We are not blind also, are we?' Jesus said to them: 'If you were blind, you would have no sin. But now you say, "We see." Your sin remains.'" (John 9:40-41)

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• Umanfly
    Umanfly

The New Jerusalem Bible :I use this translation to make a valid point .

The Whole Context of the Chapter is about Kingdom Authority passed down from Father To Son.

Psalms, 2 1.Why this uproar among the nations, this impotent muttering of the peoples? 2.Kings of the earth take up position, princes plot together against Yahweh and his anointed,

3.'Now let us break their fetters! Now let us throw off their bonds!'

4.He who is enthroned in the heavens laughs, Yahweh makes a mockery of them,

5.then in his anger rebukes them, in his rage he strikes them with terror.

Point 1 :

'I myself have anointed my king on Zion my holy mountain.'

7.I will proclaim the decree of Yahweh: He said to me, 'You are my son, today have I fathered you.

8.Ask of me, and I shall give you the nations as your birthright, the whole wide world as your possession.

9.With an iron sceptre you will break them, shatter them like so many pots.'

10.So now, you kings, come to your senses, you earthly rulers, learn your lesson!

Point 2 : 11.In fear be submissive to Yahweh;

Point 3 ; It was passed to Whom ? His Son.....

12.with trembling kiss his feet, lest he be angry and your way come to nothing, for his fury flares up in a moment. How blessed are all who take refuge in him!"

Psalms, 2 - Bíblia Católica Online

The Passage in the Song is Correct in its Context of Significance ....... The Son is the Inheritor of the Kingdom ,therefore we should address him , take refuge in him , pray to God Yahweh Thru...Jesus so that Yahweh does not , much less Yeshua himself get incensed and consume us with fire .

Leia mais em: https://www.bibliacatolica.com.br/en/new-jerusalem-bible/psalms/2/

• Jofi_Wofo
    Jofi_Wofo

I agree with Umanfly. Read the whole Psalm, especially verse 11, and the context much more supports Yahweh being angry over the son being angry.

Oddly, the latest NWT rendering says "God" with a footnote that it literally means "he." That is, they put a proper noun in place of the pronoun to enhance clarity where they thought it was lacking.

Not sure if there's some obscure theological reason why they would have done this. They could have done the opposite- properly translate it as "he" and add a footnote that it refers to God.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I means that jehober get angry at just about anything! And if he's having a particularly angry day, you might perish! It's pretty f*cking messed up to think that god is so petty as to kill us tiny little humans because we make a mistake!

just saying!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit