Kiss the son lest God be angry and you perish in the way

by Quotes 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Quotes
    Quotes

In another thread , Quentin reminded us all of the lyrics to one of the kingdom songs:

"Kiss the son lest God be angry and you perish in the way"

My question is:

What on earth did this line mean?

I never EVER understood it.

I think they are saying I should Kiss Jesus so Jahoobee doesn't get mad at me???

But honeslty, "perish in the way"???? Is that even gramatically correct??? Who talks like that?

And even when I loved Jesus, should I kiss him? I haven't even hugged my father since I was about 10. Why would I kiss Jesus? And should I kiss him on the lips? I don't swing that way (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Can't I just shake his hand and say "Hey Jesus, I like you, lets go get a beer and talk about who is hotter: Ruth, or Jezebel"????

~Quotes, of the "shouldn't watch Seinfeld and post at JWD at the same time" class

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Quotes -

Taken from Psalms 2:12 "Kiss the son, that he may not become incensed and you may not perish from the way. For his anger flares up easily. Happy are all those taking refuge in him."

Jeff {of the I never understood it either class}

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

And just for fun, there are those that think this "kiss the son" business is actually a mistranslation geared to bolster the David/Jesus correlation:

http://www.jewsforjudaism.org/web/faq/faq056.html

http://www.messiahtruth.com/psal2.html

The first one's easier to read.

Dave

• love11
    love11

It sounds alot like idol worship to me. lol

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Doesn't it seem - mistranslation or not - that it is saying that the son would be angry, not the Father? I could never see how the 'lest God be angry' line made the cut here. Just more JW propoganda to keep one in line I think!

Jeff

• Quentin
    Quentin

Quotes

AK beat me to it. I had forgotten that... Ps. 2:12...when I saw your topic it clicked. I was tearing the house up looking for my dad's old NWT. Then thought, what the hell, got 5 different bibles. Used the index in a Scofield bible and there it was. Sheesh... that was 30+ years ago...that's the only song I can remember. The songbook was pinkish in color, replaced a green one. I think...maybe. Who would know. I'm about 3/4 brain dead anyway.

Why kiss Jesus? It's a sign of respect, acceptance, subservience, friendship, affection and so on. In that culture not to kiss another on the check, or hand, would go beyond simple rudeness it would be a gross insult, especially if the person were one of high rank. A refusal to show obeisance by a kiss would indicate rejection of that person?s importance. That's my understanding. I'm sure others can elaborate.

• gumby
    gumby

Quotes.....ya dumb bastard! Jewish men kissed each other! Ain't ya never read the dang bible! Them guys was a kissin all the time if'n you'll just read! Judah's kissed Jesus when he finked on him and they were'nt even that close ta each other.

*blows quotes a big ol' kiss*

Gumby

• Quotes
    Quotes

OOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh.............

So there was a lot of man-on-man action back then, what with the kissing, and the affections, and the hugs, and all these things.

I guess that is why WTS is so paranoid about homosexual behaviour: with all that kissing, who knows what might develop! As we already know, masturbation leads to homosexuality, but I'm sure kissing other guys could play a part too!

Again, I want to stress, "Not that there's anything wrong with that".

OK, seriously, I think changing it to "lest God be angry" is pretty sneaky of WTS.

~Quotes, of the "Sorry that song made it from the pink to the brown song book" class

• gumby
    gumby

The song also say's "Happy are all those that trust IN HIM today". If you broadcasted you trusted in JESUS at the Hall , the Jehover people would get ya!

Gumby

• fahrvegnugen
    fahrvegnugen

AlmostAtheist:

This translation issue is very interesting. After a quick once-over of their argument, and a look at a couple of reference works--I think they have a legitimate point. The text seems to make more sense if you read it their way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit