When you see a JW or two on the street, do you ignore them or speak tothem?

by Rod P 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Rod P
    Rod P

When my wife and I were married, she went off to the big city of Calgary, Alberta to her convention.

I had the only taxi in town. The phone rang, and it was this couple with their two kids ,whosecar had broken down on the highway and had to be towed into town. I picked them up on the highway, drove them to a service station where they phoned a tow truck and had their car hauled to a garage for repair. They had little money on them, and what little they had they needed for travel and food costs. The last thing they needed was a hotel bill and a car repair bill.

I invited them to stay at our place, to which they agreed. They settled in for the night, and I showed the woman the foodstuffs from which she made supper, as I was still driving cab. It turned out they were JW's on their way to the same assembly in Calgary. They saw the WT publications on the shelves, so I told them my wife was a Witness, while I was not. I did not tell them I was disfellowshipped, but felt guilty for not doing so. Had I told them, they probably would have had to flee the premises, and who knows what would have happened then.

The next day, the car was fixed and they were on their way to the assembly, and they said "Thanks a lot!" I prayed they did not meet my wife at the assembly, because she would probably have exposed the whole thing, and I did not want them to become embarrassed.

At least I don't think anyone was hurt by this, and I never told my wife about the incident, because she would have grilled me on the disfellowshipment thing.

Rod P.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I basically don't say anything, to be honest I think a lot of them has forgotten me and I have forgotten them, atleast their names. To me it's like people you went to highschool with, they don't really have any bearing on your life now.

Of course if they want to speak to me I'll speak to them, and I'll judge on a case by case basis, but in general most JWs are not really in a state where they will have an open and candid conversation, most of the time. So I have kind of this "prime directive" thing where I don't disturb their development if they are clinging to where they are, I mean I'm not going to go around grabbing little kids and making it a point to tell them there is no Santa Claus either.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I do a disappearing act ASAP. I do not want anyone to see me talking to them--don't want anyone to think I'm connected with them. I've lost enough because of the borg; I don't want to be stigmatized now. Enough is enough.

Even if it were in someplace where no one could possibly see us talking, I have nothing to say. I despise them, their backstabbling, and their hypocrisy. I've removed toxic people from my life and would need my head examined to let them back in.

BTW, I'm not DFd or DAd.

• blondie
    blondie

First, are the JWs I know or knew personally?

Second, what was our relationship when I was an active JW?

If they are unknown to me, I think I would like asking a provocative question without being confrontational. Otherwise, I would cross to the other side of the street.

If I know/knew them, it would depend on whether I felt they were sincere and misguided or well aware of the hypocrisy.

I usually just give a brief hello and smile to the misguided and just keep walking, and give a bigger hello and smile to the hypocrites.

Blondie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

A coupla months ago, I was finally able to casually say something to the WalMart "greeter" who attends a KH where I formerly attended here. Prior to this, I've always been "choked" from past "encounters of the close kind" with jdubs and it's been 13 yrs since I forced my df'ing.

She'd lost weight and she really looked good. I told her so. Didn't feel even a "flutter" of the old fears.....(contented sigh here)

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Looking back, I might have been grateful to someone for making me think when I was firmly 'in the truth' - perhaps I might have escaped earlier than I did.

Now that I am truly 'out' I have to say I feel something of an obligation to assist those who are still 'in'. I'd like to think that I would introduce myself and at least try to leave some catalyst for free thought implanted in their minds.

Academic though as I have yet to encounter JW's on the street.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I never see any in my neighborhood.

My view is the Jehovah's witnesses are people - badly misguided yes - but people. They think they are right - as I did for decades as a witness. So I see no need to treat them badly, in fact if they would speak with me is probably the issue - since I have been shunned for about a year and a half now.

If they were strangers I would prob try to get them thinking about matters that I know about now - without revealing that I had been a witness. If I know them I would make sure they know I am happy and content and look forward to every day. That life is for living. I would mention in subtle ways that I was a Christian.

[Tongue in cheek] I might offer them a Bible study, free of charge, in their homes, once a week. I would let them know that I need to get in my 'hours' and would appreciate any 'donations' they would like to make to 'defray my costs' of doing this work on the street. Then tell them I must rush off - due to an assignment on the ministry school at the church this week - and I needed to prepare the car for our annual convention this weekend. Then just watch thier faces as I scurry down the street in my busy theocratic activity!!

Jeff

• Terry
    Terry

JWs have been to my neighborhood maybe twice in the last 18 years! Mormons come by more often.

When I encounter preachers at my door (whatever faith) I see myself 30 years ago. They are so callow and vulnerable! They are wide-eyed and idealistic. Living out a dream they are.

It cracks my heart open.

There are a hundred things I could say. But, what is the use of it? JW's are taught to refute and not to listen.

I simply say, "You know, I use to believe exactly what you do; and now I don't anymore. Someday, if you have the good fortune, you'll be able to say the same." I smile and they leave.

Ants do the same kind of work the JWs do and are about the same nuisance.

T.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

When I see strange ones on the train I won't say hello like the old days. Not too long ago a "sister" sat next to me and was reading her daily text. I made mention that she was reading her daily text and said that was nice. She answered me (I forget what exactly) and kept on reading. She then looked at me again as if she were afraid to speak because she didn't know anything about me. I read her mind. She got off shortly thereafter without saying goodbye. With these people they have to know what your "status" is. The look I got was similar to the one you sometimes got when you were in a strange cong. and people were afraid to get friendly. Some brotherhood!

Because I am not "out", when I see familiar ones in my neighborhood I will chat briefly.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Since I have a brother that's JW that's in the hospital alot, I tend to see them occasionally, but never out working my neighborhood. I bristle up initially, but then I just say hello, and they are always kind to me. I feel no need to be rude to them or discuss anything with them. I spose if I wanted to, they would, but they don't push it on me. They know I am an unbeliever, so they just are pleasant and go their own way.

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit