When you see a JW or two on the street, do you ignore them or speak tothem?

by Rod P 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Keeping in mind that I still attend the sporadic meeting here and there, so I know many of them in the area where I live, when I see them in stores and they don't see me I try my best to avoid them.

I never go out of my way to greet them or make conversation with them. I'm sure in their mind they consider me 'spiritually weak/borderline apostate' so they could also care less about going out of their way to talk to me or greet me.

It's a mutual avoidance going on.

DY

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

i allways engauge any jw i find. i waist no time . the first thing i ask "have you checked all the references and you know every thing is truth in this mag you are handing out"? they will say yes. then i scan the mag. there may be a quote from the catholic dictonary or the new york times or some old wt mag etc. . then i ask did you lookn this up? they will say no. but you just told me you tested all the references. at this point they know they have lied to me. i keep pushing. it's up to them how much they can take. sometimes they are nice other times not. i pick the subjects and control the conversation . twisting them at every turn. i make sure i plant some seeds. when they ask me if i was ever a jw. i tell them my standards for truth, honesty and god are to high . to ever let me become a jw. if they try to interject. i remind them you were dishonest , about your presentation. so how can i trust you. talking to a jw on the street is like shooting fish in a barrel. they allways stumble away. john

• Rod P
    Rod P

Markfromcali,

I am not talking about ego-tripping on JW's, if you get my meaning.

I am saying that we who have been steeped in "JW Think" cannot help but use their lingo and their logic. That's what gives it all away. Kind of like a "Freudian slip". It has nothing to do with showing off or showing them up in an intellectural sparring match.

Rod P.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Rod that was not what I meant. When I say it becomes about you, I only mean it is limited to your view of them and so on. So yes the lingo would be a part of it, I guess in essence what I'm trying to say is you're in the best position if you can see the big picture, and mainly from an intrapersonal perspective. After all we're talking about free minds right, being freed from certain thoughts is a rather limited aspect of a free mind.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Markfromcali,

Well ok then. I agree with you! Just want the record straight.

Rod P.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I generally wouldn't approach them in the street (unless I happen to have something to ask about a new development or publication).

If they come to my home (they usually skip it, but sometimes they forget) it depends. If I have some time on my hands I can discuss a little before telling them my story. If I don't feel like it I tell it right away, or simply say I'm not interested.

A couple of years ago two "sisters" came to my door, I was pretty busy and heading for the last option, when one of them told me: "You were in Bethel, weren't you?" She had been in Bethel years ago (I didn't recognise her at once) and now her husband was the CO in the area.

A long time ago, just a few months after I was df'd, I had an intense discussion with two "sisters". I had them sitting and reading Romans 10, comparing the NWT with the KIT (they didn't ask where I got it) and showing them how the addition of "Jehovah" ruined Paul's argument. I think I made my point, but I never heard of them again.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I would have to say that since I have been in Dallas since late 96. I have only seen the JW's out one time. I never ever see them. It is like they dont do field service anymore....anyonme else notice this?

• Rod P
    Rod P

Sparkplug,

It may be a peculiarity of your Dallas area. There are certainly plenty out here on the street corners and knocking on doors, which is Vancouver Mainland, British Columbia, Canada. I see them almost every weekend, althought most of them look like they are getting on in years.

Narkissos,

How did you manage to have such an intense discussion with these two "sisters" when you were disfellowshipped?

Rod P.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    How did you manage to have such an intense discussion with these two "sisters" when you were disfellowshipped?

This time I didn't tell them I was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit