Did we become JW because we wanted someone else to do our thinking for us?

by Rod P 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rod P
    Rod P

Ask yourself the question "Do I have the kind of personality that is attracted to a strong person or entity that speaks with authority, and is very assertive?"

Most of us just want to follow the leader. It makes us feel protected and secure. We can live our lives with a kind of certitude and commitment, because the Organization we have allowed to take over our lives have everything already worked out for us, and all we have to concentrate on is to understand it and obey. It's kind of like the Parent-Child relationship, when the child looks into the mother's (or father's) eyes when told certain advice, or what to do, and the child believes it in total trust, or unquestioningly obeys the command.

Is this what attracted you to the JW Religion in the first place?

The Leader is the Organization, and we the people are the followers. In time this becomes ingrained in us, conditioning us to respond with total deference and conformity.

Then the day comes when we realize what has been going on in our lives, and we begin to break the umibilical cord of this co-dependence. We begin to think for ourselves. We begin to question. We start to search for alternative answers, and discover a whole world of alternatives are out there just waiting for us, if we have the courage to explore......

What do you think?

Rod P.

• skyman
    skyman

I was raised in the Borg but to answer your question Yes most people want to follow. As time goes by it because ingrained into the brain to never question the Society and I have to say that this type of unquestioning loyalty is what kept me there for 30 + years.

• kls
    kls

Great question ! you know i was going to say no when i read this but you put it in such good wording that yes that may have been part of it but i didn't realize it till i read this. What a creepy feeling.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I've never wanted anyone to think for me. Unfortunetly, my parents did.

GBL

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Nope! I can honestly say that this doesn't (or didnt) apply to me. I was so entranced by the idea of a new system where all evils would be gone----I latched onto the promises I really thought were being handed to me.

The WTS seemed to answer my pitifully uninformed questions, and I so wanted a better life for my kids-than being bullied, etc in school (ironic, huh?), putting up with nasty neighbors, and I thought I had found the keys to my kingdom of happiness.

Actually, as the years (30) rolled along, I bristled at all the "don't and can't do's" and struggled to remain faithful. It was hard to swallow that I had been misled for all that time.

Annie

• luna2
    luna2

I hate to admit this, but I am attracted to strong/outgoing people. I'm quiet and somewhat shy, so I think I like to hook up with people who are less inhibited or who will draw me out. I never would have said that I like being told what to do....and I don't, if a person takes away my choices or pushes me too hard right up front. The WTS is very clever in they way they do this, though. They give you the illusion of free will at the same time they are stealing it from you.

Ugh. I agree, kls, it is a creepy feeling.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I think a lot of Dub's like the black and white nature of the WTBS teachings.... wrong and right. Very simple. However, now that most of us our out of that viper's pit we realize life isn't so right & wrong, black & white. We must learn about these things,,,,think about them,,,, and then figure out how we feel about them. So it's a longer process but one in which helps us become who we are.... one in a billion... not some automon of the WTBS. Free thinking can be a challenge....but would we ever want to give that up again for the "easy way out"? I think not!

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was raised by Witness parents. I think if the Witness people had been ethical and kind I'd still be connected on some level. I seriously doubt I'd be very interested in a forum such as this one.

For me it's all worked out for the best. I'm glad I was motivated to research religion and superstition.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:They give you the illusion of free will at the same time they are stealing it from you.

Good call Luna. Thats the thing about these guys thats so dangerous: they make people believe they are thinking for themselves but are only leading them into answers that they themselves create. The religion has evolved into something evil.

GBL

• Charisma
    Charisma

yup, if you are raised that way, you are brainwashed from infancy.. we didn't know any different, so we were scheduled, trained to follow..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit